Author Topic: addon manager crash on exit p3d 4.2 **SOLVED**  (Read 38177 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: addon manager crash on exit p3d 4.2 **SOLVED**
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 01:14:26 pm »
We asked help to the "mothership" (Lockheed Martin), and they are helping us finding the cause.

"Mothership" replied and, it allowed us to find the cause. Try the FSDT Live Update again, to get the updated bglmanx64.dll (4.5.0.3), which should fix the problem.

Let me know if it works for you.

Cruachan

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 05:37:46 pm »
Thanks Umberto, also thanks to Lockheed Martin (assuming they are following this) for agreeing to become involved.

Ran FSDT Live Update (bglmanx64.dll updated to v4.5.0.3))

Same Prepar3D v4.2 Add-on configuration as before (ALL DISABLED with exception of FSDT Addon Manager).

(1) EXIT RESULTS:

Exit (from Prepar3D Scenario screen) -> NO Crash
End Scenario -> Exit Prepar3D -> Yes -> NO Crash

Exit (from fully loaded Prepar3D Default Scenario) -> Yes -> CRASH

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          25/05/2018 13:48:36
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Prometheus
Description:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.2.21.24048, time

stamp: 0x5a7c832c
Faulting module name: api.dll, version: 4.2.21.24048, time stamp:

0x5a7c83e1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000015611
Faulting process id: 0x11a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3f4263b2b5846
Faulting application path: D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\api.dll
Report Id: f0699c02-6019-11e8-a0a9-40e230989421
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-05-25T12:48:36.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>235144</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Prometheus</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>4.2.21.24048</Data>
    <Data>5a7c832c</Data>
    <Data>api.dll</Data>
    <Data>5a7c83e1</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0000000000015611</Data>
    <Data>11a0</Data>
    <Data>01d3f4263b2b5846</Data>
    <Data>D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\api.dll</Data>
    <Data>f0699c02-6019-11e8-a0a9-40e230989421</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Windows Error Reporting
Date:          25/05/2018 13:49:45
Event ID:      1001
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Prometheus
Description:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Prepar3D.exe
P2: 4.2.21.24048
P3: 5a7c832c
P4: api.dll
P5: 4.2.21.24048
P6: 5a7c83e1
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000015611
P9:
P10:

Attached files: (Also see foot of this post)

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Cruachan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Prepar3D.exe_3eda97622fa776e55c7d333f385aa57d58aa1ec_0afb5bf4

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: f0699c02-6019-11e8-a0a9-40e230989421
Report Status: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-05-25T12:49:45.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>235146</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Prometheus</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>APPCRASH</Data>
    <Data>Not available</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>5a7c832c</Data>
    <Data>api.dll</Data>
    <Data>5a7c83e1</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0000000000015611</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\Cruachan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Prepar3D.exe_3eda97622fa776e55c7d333f385aa57d58aa1ec_0afb5bf4</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>f0699c02-6019-11e8-a0a9-40e230989421</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

SYSTEM RESTART

(2) EXIT RESULTS:

End Scenario -> Exit Prepar3D -> Yes -> CRASH

Exit (from fully loaded Prepar3D Default Scenario) -> Yes -> NO Crash

(3) EXIT RESULTS:

(4) EXIT RESULTS:

(5) EXIT RESULTS:

RESTORED previous bglmanx.dll (v4.5.0.2 (23/05/2018 20:27))

SYSTEM RESTART

(6) EXIT RESULTS:

(7) EXIT RESULTS:

[8] EXIT RESULTS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

(9) EXIT RESULTS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

(10) EXIT RESULTS:

Difficult for me to draw any definitive conclusions from these results other than the fact that the sim does not crash while exiting from the Prepar3D Scenario screen.

Regards,
Mike

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:12:18 pm by Cruachan »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 09:57:41 pm »
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean with Exit "from fully loaded Prepar3D Default Scenario", opposite to just "Exit".

Cruachan

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 04:01:53 am »
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean with Exit "from fully loaded Prepar3D Default Scenario", opposite to just "Exit".

Hi Umberto,

Each EXIT test cycle involved shutting down the sim in 3 ways:

1. From the Prepar3D Scenario Startup screen (the screen that appears first during the inital load allowing configuration of your flight)
2. Scenario - End Scenario
3. Scenario - Exit

In the case of 2 and 3 I'm sitting in the default Raptor, rwy 19 at Eglin AFB (KVPS) after the Prepar3D Default flight has loaded.

Regards,
Mike

p3dx3

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 07:00:18 pm »

Hi Umberto,

Each EXIT test cycle involved shutting down the sim in 3 ways:

1. From the Prepar3D Scenario Startup screen (the screen that appears first during the inital load allowing configuration of your flight)
2. Scenario - End Scenario
3. Scenario - Exit

In the case of 2 and 3 I'm sitting in the default Raptor, rwy 19 at Eglin AFB (KVPS) after the Prepar3D Default flight has loaded.

Regards,
Mike

Mike thank you for doing this. I removed fsdt airports and gsx from my p3d until the crashing is fixed.

Cruachan

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 07:23:44 pm »

Mike thank you for doing this. I removed fsdt airports and gsx from my p3d until the crashing is fixed.

I’m certainly getting a sense of what Developers must experience with the constant loading and unloading of the sim as they test any changes made! Can be quite tedious and very time consuming, but I do enjoy a challenge! While I’m not involved in any coding changes I’m quite happy to help with testing.

I don’t think it is really necessary to remove these products. You can still enjoy what they have to offer so long as you accept the sim is likely to crash on exit knowing that no harm will result from allowing this aberrant behaviour. Hopefully we will have a solution soon and hopefully LM will stay on board until that solution is found.

Regards,
Mike

p3dx3

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 01:17:54 am »

I’m certainly getting a sense of what Developers must experience with the constant loading and unloading of the sim as they test any changes made! Can be quite tedious and very time consuming, but I do enjoy a challenge! While I’m not involved in any coding changes I’m quite happy to help with testing.

I don’t think it is really necessary to remove these products. You can still enjoy what they have to offer so long as you accept the sim is likely to crash on exit knowing that no harm will result from allowing this aberrant behaviour. Hopefully we will have a solution soon and hopefully LM will stay on board until that solution is found.

Regards,
Mike

I have unstable flights if I do not remove all the fsdt products. Crashing, freezing, in-flight, not only on exit.

5 completed flights uneventful after removing fsdt.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2018, 11:39:08 pm »
I'm sorry, but I can only repeat and confirm the crash on exit is fixed. This has been confirmed even by LM, which helped us finding the cause.

If you have other issues, then they are NOT caused by GSX or any FSDT product. There was another thread which some users reported low fps with GSX installed, which I could replicate, and it really looked like a problem caused by GSX, since it seemed to go away by disabling the Addon Manager addon.

However, from the latest posts, it turned out to be an incomplete upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2, for example updating the client without updating the content.

Fact that removing our software seems to "fix" the problem, it's only because you don't have other addons that use advanced parts of the SDK which have been updated recently and might not work correctly with just the client or with a failed/incomplete update.

Cruachan

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2018, 04:25:50 am »
I'm sorry, but I can only repeat and confirm the crash on exit is fixed. This has been confirmed even by LM, which helped us finding the cause.

Fact that removing our software seems to "fix" the problem, it's only because you don't have other addons that use advanced parts of the SDK which have been updated recently and might not work correctly with just the client or with a failed/incomplete update.

Well, speaking as one who has a full and stable installation of Prepar3D 4.2 I find that response to be very disappointing and is threatening to undermine my faith in the product. It is clear to me that something is still happening between Prepar3D and the FSTD Addon Manager during exit, causing Prepar3D to crash, and I feel I have done my best to demonstrate that this is indeed the case. However, it appears that the Developer and LM beg to differ so it looks like we are on a hiding to nothing with very little likelihood of finding a resolution.

Unless others feel inclined to chip in with their experiences and/or there is a change of stance on this matter by the Developer, I don’t believe I have anything more to contribute to this now unsatisfactory and unproductive thread. Meantime, I have been maintaining my Prepar3D installation in the requested bare bones state required for troubleshooting purposes. This seems to me to be the least I can offer in view of the time and work spent to date testing for Umberto. However, such patience is finite.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:21:34 am by Cruachan »

Sabretooth78

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 06:18:02 am »

Well, speaking as one who has a full and stable installation of Prepar3D 4.2 I find that response to be very disappointing and is threatening to undermine my faith in the product. It is clear to me that something is still happening between Prepar3D and the FSTD Addon Manager during exit causing Prepar3D to crash and I feel I have done my best to demonstrate that this is indeed the case. However, it appears that the Developer and LM beg to differ so it looks like we are on a hiding to nothing with very little likelihood of finding a resolution.

Unless others feel inclined to chip in with their experiences I don’t believe I have anything more to contribute to this somewhat unsatisfactory and unproductive thread.

Mike

I seem to be experiencing this same issue on what was a new/clean install of 4.2 which I purchased on 2018 March 14.  Previous to today I never noticed this behavior - I had reinstalled Addon Manager on May 17 to chase some issues I had been having in FSX, so I presume that is where the problem probably originated (I had last used P3D4 on May 14).  I had not run Live Update between that initial install of Addon Manager in mid-March (which I had re-downloaded for the fresh install, so it should have been a version current for that date) through May 17.  Such behavior makes it seem as though some change between March and May is causing this problem.

I can't confirm it is having any other effects other than the crash on termination, but I did come home earlier this evening to find that a paused flight (PMDG 777) had suspiciously crashed without so much as an error dialog (never had that happen before), and it was the attempted diagnosis of that which ultimately turned me onto this issue - which I discovered upon "properly" exiting P3D4.  I'm not trying to imply there's any causation or correlation here - seems impossible to tell at this point - just background info.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2018, 10:57:55 am »
We know precisely what caused the problem in the update that happened around March. And that one IS fixed in the current Live Update, this is really not open to any discussions.

Note that, I'm ONLY referring to the silent crash on exit with NO error messages, which can only be visible as an Event in the Event Viewer as an API.DLL crash. This is the only thing this thread is about, and is the only thing the current update was supposed to fix (in addition to other minor fixes in GSX procedures), and it's 100% confirmed to be fixed.

So, if you still have THAT specific crash, the only possible reason is that you haven't applied the latest Live Update yet.

If you have OTHER crashes or instabilities, which don't manifest as API.DLL silent crashes on the Event Viewer, than please open a new thread, describing the problem, and we'll see if *THAT* one has anything to do with our software.

Cruachan

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2018, 12:29:04 pm »
Hi Umberto,

No other crashes or instabilities whatsoever and, yes, I did apply the last update as I believe I stated earlier in this thread.

However, in case another update has been released since I’ll try running the FSDT Live Updater again.

I appreciate how frustrating this must be for you, Umberto, particularly as your experience is so different. Nevertheless,there are some users, like me, who still have the problem and may feel they are being stone walled by FSDT GSX Support. That too is frustrating!

Surely there must be some other way of isolating the cause in our installations? For example does the Addon Manager create any log files? Are there any tools we can employ to monitor what is happening other than the Windows Event Viewer?

Believe me, I am just trying to be helpful.

Regards,
Mike

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2018, 02:29:41 pm »
Surely there must be some other way of isolating the cause in our installations? For example does the Addon Manager create any log files?

I'm sorry but, as I've said, the one and only possible reason why you have an silent API.DLL crash on exit (only), which disappears if you disable the Addon Manager, is because you still have the previous version installer, so you haven't done the Live Update, or your antivirus blocked it, so you are stuck with the old executable. THIS (and ONLY THIS) crash is fixed now.

It's either this, or you are having another crash, one that is not likely caused by the Addon Manager, even if might look similar. In this case, test if the crash happens with all the other addons (except the Addon Manager), are disabled.

Sabretooth78

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2018, 03:22:04 pm »
The api.dll crash did continue to occur after running the Live Update, I don't use antivirus software, and my bglmanx64.dll was updated to 4.5.0.3.  But perhaps there's something else going on so I'll do a clean download and reinstall of Addon Manager later today and see if that does the trick.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 04:17:50 pm »
I can only repeat and confirm, I cannot reproduce anymore the API.DLL crash on exit with the current version of the Addon Manager, while I was able to reproduce it (100% of the times), with the previous version.

As I've said in my previous message, you should try disabling all other modules, except the Addon Manager, to confirm this is the *same* crash which has been discussed here, which is now fixed.