Author Topic: addon manager crash on exit p3d 4.2 **SOLVED**  (Read 38666 times)

Cruachan

Re: addon manager crash on exit p3d 4.2 **SOLVED**
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2018, 04:49:16 pm »
As I've said in my previous message, you should try disabling all other modules, except the Addon Manager, to confirm this is the *same* crash which has been discussed here, which is now fixed.

And as one who has done precisely that, here are my latest results:

Addon Manager folder permissions edited to allow Modify and Write.

ESET NOD 32 disabled temporarily (in fact the Addon Manager folder has been included under
Exclusions).

FSDT Live Update executed (Run as administrator: NO.
Noted at start bglmanx.dll and bglmanx64.dll were both downloaded so hopes
for a favourable outcome were raised!

ESET NOD32: PROTECTION RE-ENABLED

EXIT RESULTS:

Prepar3D default flight fully loaded
Note: Currently Prepar3D v4.2 is NOT being Run as administrator. This will change when FSLabs is reactivated.

'X' -> Yes -> NO Crash
Scenario -> End Scenario -> Exit Prepar3D -> Yes -> CRASH
Scenario -> [b}Exit[/b] -> Yes -> CRASH
Scenario Startup screen: 'X' -> Yes -> NO Crash

SYSTEM RESTART

EXIT RESULTS:

Prepar3D default flight fully loaded

'X' -> Yes -> NO Crash
'X' -> Yes -> NO Crash
'X' -> Yes -> NO Crash
'X' -> Yes -> NO Crash

Scenario -> End Scenario -> Exit Prepar3D -> Yes -> NO Crash
Scenario -> End Scenario -> Exit Prepar3D -> Yes -> NO Crash

Scenario -> [b}Exit[/b] -> Yes -> NO Crash
Scenario -> [b}Exit[/b] -> Yes -> CRASH

I think, by now, everyone should be able to draw their own conclusions. Something may have changed with the 'latest' FSDT Live Update since I am having more success than previously. However, if my results have any value, then those experiencing these 'crashes on exit' would be well advised to exit the sim meantime by avoiding the Scenario -> End Scenario and Scenario -> Exit options although you might be lucky when choosing the latter.

Mike

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2018, 06:21:22 pm »

This is NOT required and, it would be best if you don't touch anything. Are you assuming our installer didn't set the proper permissions ? It surely does so, please, don't add extra unnecessary steps, made assuming there's something "wrong" with the software.

Scenario -> End Scenario -> Exit Prepar3D -> Yes

Since, according to your test, this sequence was the one that gave you the highest chance of a crash on exit, I tried it right now, 7 times in a row (exactly like you did) and the result was...

7 "NO CRASH" so, 0 crashes over 7 tries.

I tried starting from a random flight I had set as default, and with the Default P3D flight with the F22, no difference. No crashes in both cases.

Something may have changed with the 'latest' FSDT Live Update since I am having more success than previously.

Nothing has changed in the latest update. I only tried to trick the Live Update server into forcing a download, by changing the timestamp of the digital signature, so the file would by different, and be surely downloaded, in order to exclude the chance that for some reason the server didn't supply the latest file.

But otherwise it's unchanged.

Cruachan

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2018, 07:16:44 pm »

This is NOT required and, it would be best if you don't touch anything. Are you assuming our installer didn't set the proper permissions ? It surely does so, please, don't add extra unnecessary steps, made assuming there's something "wrong" with the software.

Nothing has changed in the latest update. I only tried to trick the Live Update server into forcing a download, by changing the timestamp of the digital signature, so the file would by different, and be surely downloaded, in order to exclude the chance that for some reason the server didn't supply the latest file.

But otherwise it's unchanged.

I am assuming nothing, believe me. I did this simply because I knew it was unlikely to do harm and in the hope that it might help to ensure the Live Updater would install all files intact. Easy enough to revert back.

Good to know that nothing has changed in the latest update. Thanks!

You emphasise the importance of allowing installers to set up the necessary permissions and I agree one hundred percent. However, I have shown that FSLabs is interfering with this process and, if active, will reset the Prepar3D executable to Run as Administrator (with a necessary restart as there is no way to counter this) during the sim loading phase. Since making that discovery I have been running with that box unchecked and ALL Addons disabled (except for the Addon Manager/Couatl) which has preserved that condition. Again, please see my previous posts as this has been mentioned a few times already.

So, we are left with an unsatisfactory situation where our experiences are differing. We still do not know why this is the case and, without access to appropriate debugging tools there is no way I can move forward on this. Fortunately my latest series of tests has revealed alternative exit options which are more likely to succeed.

If no further help is forthcoming then I suggest we leave it at that.

Thanks for your time and the attention given to this issue. It has been a very time consuming exercise with, arguably, little reward.

It’s usually difficult to know exactly why a thread attracts so much interest, as the ever increasing Views count for this topic is suggesting. Either it’s to learn about the solution (attaching **SOLVED** to the subject title early on would do this), casual interest or simply to see how this troubleshoot pans out. Who knows! A lack of other contributors to the thread does not necessarily imply that the majority of users are without issues and remain happy with things as they are.

Regards,
Mike

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:45:36 pm by Cruachan »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2018, 09:09:31 pm »
However, I have shown that FSLabs is interfering with this process and, if active, will reset the Prepar3D executable to Run as Administrator (with a necessary restart as there is no way to counter this) during the sim loading phase.

I made all my test running As Administrator because, even if it's not the default way to run the sim, many users (willingly or not), run it that way and, initially, it *seemed* the Administrator mode could be the cause.

It's not. It was something else entirely, which was totally related to something in our code, which simply cannot happen anymore, because that code has changed.

A lack of other contributors to the thread does not necessarily imply that the majority of users are without issues and remain happy with things as they are.

But it doesn't necessarily imply the opposite...

Sabretooth78

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2018, 02:47:52 am »
The problem persists with me as well, even after removing all traces of Addon Manager and installing with newly downloaded installers.  Unchecking "run as admin" on P3D4 has been good for a couple crash-free exits but it's not very consistent.  I also tried reinstalling Addon Manager back to its default (Program Files x86) folder and that helped once or twice - I originally had it installed to a second SSD with other add-ons in order to avoid the Windows nanny-ing known to occur in the "Program Files" folders even with UAC disabled.

p3dx3

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2018, 03:34:44 am »
ctd free week of flying with all fsdt products uninstalled. Checking back here for a solution hopefully soon

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2018, 10:10:37 am »
ctd free week of flying with all fsdt products uninstalled. Checking back here for a solution hopefully soon

We already provided with the solution, otherwise this thread wouldn't be flagged as "solved".

p3dx3

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2018, 01:25:39 pm »

We already provided with the solution, otherwise this thread wouldn't be flagged as "solved".

It is fixed for my p3d thank you

p3dx3

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2018, 08:19:13 pm »
close to 2 weeks crash free flying, gsx installed yesterday, device hung error in cruise after 4 hrs today.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2018, 04:22:06 pm »
close to 2 weeks crash free flying, gsx installed yesterday, device hung error in cruise after 4 hrs today.

I'm sorry, but the "DXGI device hung" error is only related to issues video drivers, it cannot possibly have anything to do with GSX ESPECIALLY when flying, since there are NO GSX objects created (to dispel the chance something like a corrupted texture/model could have caused it), it was just a coincidence that happened when you reinstalled GSX.

When flying, no GSX objects are created, and the only thing it does, is to check your position in case you are close to an airport so, NOTHING related to graphic.

p3dx3

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2018, 05:55:51 pm »
I have little patience for testing and tweaking I removed all scenery and apps that are unrelated to my current flight. I will reinstall GSX and the FSDT scenery after some flights in this state after it proves to be stable.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:00:55 pm by virtuali »

p3dx3

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2018, 06:53:44 pm »
I want to turn off EAX sound is that possible. It is enabled I read in the GSX log files

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2018, 12:35:51 am »
GSX uses whatever capabilities your audio card has and which of them have been exposed to their own OpenAL implementation.

Since we DO 3D positional sound, if your audio card has hardware support for EAX, GSX will use it automatically and cannot do otherwise, since the available capabilities of the OpenAL implementation (which can be either hardware of software, depending on the audio card) are exposed by the audio driver.

But why you want to to turn off EAX in the first place ? We require it for many things, both positional audio but also to get distance attenuation. If you could hypothetically turn it off, every sound would come from dead center, and will always sound the same level, regardless of the distance from the observer, which was the main point of using OpenAL to begin with.

mefisssto

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2018, 09:43:59 am »
Hi guys, I have a same problem. Since last update via Live Update I have constant crash on exit (api.dll). I have latest version of addon manager ver. 4.5.0.2. But what is even worse, I have slient crashes during flight without any error message since than. I tired to run Live Update several times but it didnt help.I checked  bglmanx.dll as well as bglmanx64.dll and I have latest versions.

Only solution for me is to disable addon manager, tested several flights and NO crash during a flight, NO crash on exit.

So unfortunely, I have to live without those great addons as GSX etc.

Jozef

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2018, 03:44:06 pm »
I'm sorry, but I can only confirm the API.DLL is fixed in the latest Update. I suggest waiting also for the next P3D patch, because it's possible this might be caused by a bug in the 4.2 version of the SDK.