Author Topic: Pushback prompt timing  (Read 2626 times)

angusfly

Pushback prompt timing
« on: April 22, 2020, 09:09:53 pm »
Hi,

I guess that the delay of the marshaller to ask for left/right... was added in order to do it as in RL, but for those who have numeric keys assigned to other functions (in my case I use them for views in Chaseplane) is quite easy to answer unintentionally when the simconnect menu appears. Then, I have to reset couatl and begin again.

I looked for it but I believe there is no way of changing simconnect key bindings, so would be possible to add an option to get the pushback menu right after asking for pushback?

Many thanks in advance

DVA12924

Re: Pushback prompt timing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:54:13 pm »
you can always click on the GSX menu option using the mouse. The keys to open the GSX menu are changeable in settings if those keystrokes are already assigned to something else.

angusfly

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 10:13:16 pm »
you can always click on the GSX menu option using the mouse. The keys to open the GSX menu are changeable in settings if those keystrokes are already assigned to something else.

Thanks! But the problem is not exactly that. The problem is that now when you ask for pushback you are not asked which side you want to go until the marshaller inserts the pin and goes back to position, while I’m doing some other stuff many times I change cameras for example and unintentionally set the pushback side because the simconnect dialog came all of sudden.

A few updates before the last one you were asked which side you wanted to face just after asking for pushback.

Thanks anyway!

DVA12924

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 10:20:18 pm »
I remember what you are referring to. GSX went more toward having custom push backs when that update was released. The only option for now would be to set all position in the GSX parking editor to pushback direction none. This will only give 2 options, straight back or quick edit. Quick edit will put you into a top-down view and you can move the aircraft image (the red aircraft shape) to the position and direction you want to be pushed back to. Otherwise, just know that once you request pushback and you hear the "locking gear" that you should wait a few seconds to select your pushback from the GSX simconnect menu.

angusfly

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 12:10:51 am »

That’s a good workaround. BTW, still remains intrusive as you don’t manage when it will pop up, and I prefer to let GSX perform the AFCAD default path or a saved quickedit.

Thanks!

Aussie123

• Very happy GSX2 User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 11:43:58 pm »
I'm with you Angus.

Many a time I have missed the request for which direction because of the built in delay between me asking for a pushback and then the popup appearing. I tend to use the time, after requesting a pushback, to finish programming the FMC or getting ready to start engines.
The pop up menu isn't accompanied by a voice request (I don't know if it has a ding?) so I may miss it and it disappears. Particularily in a surround view. (I have pop ups appear on my left screen) You then sit there looking at stalled outside scenery.

Related: ??? In real life, when is the appropriate time to inform ground of which direction? What verbal interchange happens?

Aussie
Prosim-AR B738 user on P3d V6

DVA12924

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 12:14:14 am »
In real life the direction to face would be given by ATC when requesting push and start. Since GSX does nothing at all with any ATC, that delay is there for you to be able to get the instructions from ATC and then make the correct selection from the GSX menu. I have only used a handful of addon ATC programs over the many many years, but none of them have told me which direction to face on pushback. I therefore refer to the airport diagram to see which way I should face once ATC has given me the active runway which is usually in clearance delivery phase so pretty early on.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 12:22:16 am »
The real reason for the delayed direction question, is because LOTS of users asked for it!

Mostly because they fly online, because if the ATC, for any reason ( weather, traffic, etc. ) changes his mind and gives you a different runway, and you already decided for the now "wrong" pushback direction, it would happen exactly what the OP said it could happen now if he didn't pay attention to the GSX direction window as it is now: you would have to restart GSX.

Since ATC runway changes ( especially with human ATC ) are fairly realistic, we agreed to the change, which according to many users of this forum, made lot of people on VATSIM/IVAO very happy.

torsten

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 08:19:04 am »
BEFORE you start Pushing back, you have to ask ATC for that ( Clearence to start Engines and Pushback )
After you have this Clearence you can ASK GSX for Pushback and have the direction you want to be pushed given by ATC.
So there is no need to change the Direction and ATC ( also Human ) will not change the Direction given with the PB Clearence, after
you start Pushing back.

I never saw this in RL.

T

angusfly

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 09:34:39 am »
I'm with you Angus.

Many a time I have missed the request for which direction because of the built in delay between me asking for a pushback and then the popup appearing. I tend to use the time, after requesting a pushback, to finish programming the FMC or getting ready to start engines.
The pop up menu isn't accompanied by a voice request (I don't know if it has a ding?) so I may miss it and it disappears. Particularily in a surround view. (I have pop ups appear on my left screen) You then sit there looking at stalled outside scenery.

Related: ??? In real life, when is the appropriate time to inform ground of which direction? What verbal interchange happens?

Aussie

Exactly, it happened to me too. It's easy to miss it or select the option you don't want to. That's why I now sit and do nothing until the promt.

The real reason for the delayed direction question, is because LOTS of users asked for it!

Mostly because they fly online, because if the ATC, for any reason ( weather, traffic, etc. ) changes his mind and gives you a different runway, and you already decided for the now "wrong" pushback direction, it would happen exactly what the OP said it could happen now if he didn't pay attention to the GSX direction window as it is now: you would have to restart GSX.

Since ATC runway changes ( especially with human ATC ) are fairly realistic, we agreed to the change, which according to many users of this forum, made lot of people on VATSIM/IVAO very happy.

Oh, ok. I wasn't aware that this was a popular request. That's fair enough, since online users are the main group in flight simming I believe.
I'm not sure how much trouble would make to the whole code, but (as a last resort) would you consider adding an option to remove that delay?

Thanks everybody!