Author Topic: Mismatched Parking Locations - ORBX  (Read 4332 times)

Sabretooth78

Mismatched Parking Locations - ORBX
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:48 pm »
I encountered an issue with GSX not properly locating parking/gates at MYNN (Lynden Pindling Int’l, Nassau, Bahamas).  As it turns out, GSX was reading the default AFCAD (located at …\Scenery\0302\scenery\APX27230.bgl), whereas ORBX had provided an update to the AFCAD wherein the terminal building (and associated parking locations) were moved towards the northwest to better reflect the real-life configuration of the airport.  Hence, the mismatched parking locations.

After a little diagnosis with the couatl.log file, I found that this was happening because the Scenery Library entry “FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT” was not present in the file scenery.cfg that GSX places in the c:\ProgramData\Virtuali\ folder.  In addition, there seem to be several other ORBX Vector and OpenLC entries that I have active yet they get omitted by GSX.  Is this intended operation, or has something gone wrong on my end?  The behavior appears to be identical between FSX and P3D 4.2.

I had restarted/rebuilt the Couatl cache, deleted the scenery.cfg, etc. to no avail.  The only working solution I have found is to move the ORBX files particular to MYNN into another appropriately layered Scenery Library entry that is read by GSX.

This is only the first case of this sort of problem that I have found so far, but given the sheer number of BGLs in that particular Scenery Library entry it seems that there may be several other cases yet to be found.

Thanks, and please advise!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Mismatched Parking Locations - ORBX
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:57:58 pm »
OrbX adds TEN of THOUSANDS .BGL files in those two folders:

FTX_VECTOR
FTX_OLC

And, as of today, nobody ever reported they ever contained airports (AFCAD), which seems to be consistent with the naming, since one folder seems suggest it contains vector data (coastlines, roads, rivers, etc.) and the other it's Landclass so, nothing to do with airports.

So, in order to speed up the cache regeneration time, GSX automatically skips those two folders.

So, it's entirely normal you won't find anything related to these folders in the scenery.cfg used by GSX under %PROGRAMDATA%\Virtuali. Note that, this file is CREATED when the GSX scenery cache is generated so, it's the *result* of that process, not the *source* of it.

Have you tried the "Restart and rebuild the airport cache" option ?

Sabretooth78

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 06:33:32 pm »
Have you tried the "Restart and rebuild the airport cache" option ?

Yes, as I had said it didn't solve the problem - but as you report that it is intended operation then there really is no real "problem", so to speak.

If omitting those ORBX entries is indeed a "feature" (and not a bug) then I have no problem with working around it on a case-by-case basis.  Just another reason why you should test your landing airport before beginning your flight.

That said, I do believe the "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" entry to be mostly airport-related files (I'm away from my sim PC at the moment so I'm not able to confirm, nor do I know to what degree they modify each airport), so perhaps an update in the logic to allow that entry to be processed by GSX's operations might be advisable, if possible.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:35:40 pm by Sabretooth78 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:01 am »
That said, I do believe the "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" entry to be mostly airport-related files (I'm away from my sim PC at the moment so I'm not able to confirm, nor do I know to what degree they modify each airport), so perhaps an update in the logic to allow that entry to be processed by GSX's operations might be advisable, if possible.

There's no logic that is supposed to exclude that file.

If I understand correctly, that not a file, it's a whole folder with a separate entry, so it's not contained inside the FTX_VECTOR or the FTX_OLC folders, which means GSX won't exclude it.

Try checking the Couatl.LOG IMMEDIATELY after a session where you chose the "Restart and rebuild the airport cache" option, which I asked to try. The log might possibly say something why it has excluded that area.

Sabretooth78

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40:26 pm »
I think there's been some confusion - it's not excluding a single file, but rather the "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" scenery library entry, which points to \ORBX\FTX_OLC\FTX_VECTOR_FixedAPT, which contains modifications to what appears to be 87 different airports, at least among which MYNN has parking modifications.

Based on your initial description it appears that library entry is excluded, due to its residence in the FTX_OLC folder, due to the sheer number of ORBX files which GSX/Couatl would need to be process.  All I'm suggesting is that perhaps that particular folder be "excluded from the exclusion" if possible - and if it's not possible, it's not that big of a deal, as long as the user is aware that a potential issue could be caused by that folder not being included in the index.

I can provide a copy of the couatl.log which was generated after rebuilding the airport cache (forum wouldn't let me attach), if you're interested; though I don't think anything is happening in an unintended manner.  The "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" entry would be located just before the "using "ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\scenery (layer 151)" line of the log, therefore would be (layer 150).

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:11:50 pm »
I think there's been some confusion - it's not excluding a single file, but rather the "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" scenery library entry, which points to \ORBX\FTX_OLC\FTX_VECTOR_FixedAPT, which contains modifications to what appears to be 87 different airports, at least among which MYNN has parking modifications.

Understood so, it's a folder *inside* the FTX_OLC. I saw on other forums some users with that folder being a separate folder, not outside the FTX_OLC folder. In that case, then yes, it has been likely excluded because of that.

So, what OrbX did, was to create a Scenery Library entry for FTX_OLC, containing its own SCENERY folder and another Scenery Library *inside* that one, contain another SCENERY folder ? Well, it's not technically "wrong", but it's quite confusing and, there's no benefits whatsoever having a folder inside a folder, since it's a separate Scenery Area anyway.

I'm afraid that making an exception for that folder, might kind defeat the purpose of not trying to look into that monster hole of ten of thousands files which is the FTX_OLC folder, in order to not be slowed down by it.

p3dx3

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 06:21:12 pm »

Based on your initial description it appears that library entry is excluded, due to its residence in the FTX_OLC folder, due to the sheer number of ORBX files which GSX/Couatl would need to be process.  All I'm suggesting is that perhaps that particular folder be "excluded from the exclusion" if possible - and if it's not possible, it's not that big of a deal, as long as the user is aware that a potential issue could be caused by that folder not being included in the index.

I can provide a copy of the couatl.log which was generated after rebuilding the airport cache (forum wouldn't let me attach), if you're interested; though I don't think anything is happening in an unintended manner.  The "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" entry would be located just before the "using "ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\scenery (layer 151)" line of the log, therefore would be (layer 150).

Thanks!

If you have addon MYNN scenery then remove Orbx and other afcad files like MyTraffic likes to install.

CAPFlyer

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 03:44:56 pm »
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but is this going to be addressed?  I just flew into MYNN with P3Dv4 and the gates are still the wrong name and in the wrong place because ORBX has updated the layout of the airport to the correct new design (that's been the case since at least 2012) and the gates are in the old spot with no way to fix it despite the fact the plane properly spawns in the correct location on the scenery.

Also, I don't know that it's ORBX alone.  I just added an updated KORD to the Addon Scenery base folder and get this -

http://prntscr.com/kv0qxv

As you can see, the parking spaces and jetways don't line up.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:55:23 pm by CAPFlyer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 02:47:34 pm »
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but is this going to be addressed?  

That's nothing we have to address. If you have conflicting AFCAD files, you must sort out the conflicts. See the previous post by 413x3.

CAPFlyer

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 02:45:01 pm »
I don't have conflicting AFCADs.  That's the issue.  I have 1 addon AFCAD in the ADDON SCENERY/SCENERY folder of P3Dv4, but GSX is scanning the BASE layer (which is below ADDON SCENERY in the priority list) instead.  I have other scenery from ORBX as above with MYNN and others that has the same issue - ORBX's folders are above the base scenery yet GSX is giving priority to the base scenery.  This shouldn't be happening if you are following the same priority structure as the program does.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:48:31 pm by CAPFlyer »

sw34669

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 07:18:30 pm »

in April 2018 it was stated by the developer, above, that these two directories are skipped as no one had reported they contained airport afcad files.

In September 2018 these two directories containing ORBX airports are still skipped as _______ ?

Ive found 7 threads on these forums about this issue ive noticed the issue since last year.

Can we please have the ORBX airports in this directory scanned for afcads (files > 1KB).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 12:37:53 am »
ORBX's folders are above the base scenery yet GSX is giving priority to the base scenery.  This shouldn't be happening if you are following the same priority structure as the program does.

Please clarify what do you mean with "ORBX folders". Since some OrbX product that don't contain airports adds several ten of thousands of non-airport .BGL to the sim, in order not to slow down the cache regeneration time, we automatically skip these folders:

FTX_VECTOR
FTX_OLC

On the assumption the first should only contain vector data, and the second only Landclass data. If they started placing airports in there, that might explain why they are not seen by GSX.

If this is not the case, there might be other reasons why an AFCAD is not read and of course you can troubleshoot this:

Enable logging in the Troubleshooting section of the GSX setting page, and the Restart and rebuild cache option in the Couatl settings menu. Then, exit the sim and to to this folder:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali

and post the Couatl.LOG file which should be there. Don't post it as it is. ZIP it and Attach it to a thread.

ahuimanu

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 05:24:19 pm »
Resuscitating old topic.  This remains a problem.  By skipping the files in this folder, GSX is missing airports such as MYNN and BIKF.  Could we please have the ability to opt-out and INCLUDE the scanning of these files?

Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 12:57:19 pm »
We'll look into this. Although it would be best if OrbX didn't placed airports in sub-folders of Vector and Landclass data.