Author Topic: FSX Window problem after updating GSX  (Read 2818 times)

JensPeter

FSX Window problem after updating GSX
« on: April 16, 2018, 05:43:31 pm »
Hej
I have just updated  GSX and the Addon Manager. Im running FSX in full screen mode (for best visual and fps) and with Win7.

After the update, when selecting an aircraft, FSX is minimized to the taskbar, and im not always able to recover (Alt+Enter) I have no problems in windowed mode, and have never encountered this problem before the update.

I completely wiped out GSX and all my FSDT airports and the Addon manager etc. and was again able to select an aircraft (default or addon), without the minimization prob.

then i installed the Addon manager  (no problem) but after installing GSX again, the problem is back. It seems to me, it has something to do with the green Bar GSX is displaying (airport cache) during startup.

Thanks in advance for Your kind help & Take Care
Jens Peter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX Window problem after updating GSX
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:11:39 pm »
GSX use the standard Simconnect menu window in the most standard way (no hacks) and, more importantly, nothing has ever changed with the last update so, if it doesn't work in full screen mode, something that nobody ever reported before, it's surely something that doesn't have anything to do with GSX, and it's happening entirely inside the sim, since application that use the official way to display text, don't have any control if the sim is running in Windowed mode or Full screen mode, nor they are required to do anything differently.

Try to let the cache update once, while in windowed mode, then exit the sim and use full screen mode on the next session. Normally, GSX won't try to update the cache again, unless a new scenery is installed OR the previous cache regeneration didn't complete, usually due to a corrupted .BGL

Also, it's possible the issue might happen because you have multiple addons trying to write text there. Is the GSX cache regeneration particularly slow ? If yes, you might improve it by disabling the whole FSX folder from antivirus scanning, and add every other folder you might have outside the sim which contains sceneries. That might speed up the cache regeneration A LOT and, possibly, prevent issues if there are too many addons trying to use it, and GSX taking it for too much time, because the cache regeneration is slow, both because you have too many sceneries AND because the antivirus is checking each and every file being opened, that's why you should exclude both the sim and every other scenery location from antivirus scanning.

JensPeter

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:26:17 am »
Hello Umberto

Thanks for your kind reply.

I have a lot of scenery, but use the Scenery Config Tool, so only the airports im flying to is loaded, besides that, i have Ultimate Traffic and GSX running, but that's the same as before the update (I also use Opus weather, but it has not been loaded during these problems.)

The loading time for the Airport Cache is hence very quick, but when i select a plane (addon or default) the gren GSX Airport Cache bar flash in a second again, and at the instance, FSX is minimized to the taskbar, and will normally only come back by closing down FSX via the Ctr+alt+delete "end job" command.

Uninstalling GSX solve the problem, but is of course not an option. As for now, only a windowed start allows a selection of a second plane.

I will try to check and change the scanning sequence

JensPeter

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:32:00 pm »
Main number of addons was already excluded from the Virus scan, so not much to change. Tried to make a fresh install of the addon manager and no problems with minimization after reboot.
Then i again installed GSX, and the problem occured right away (airport cache loaded in 1 sec.) no weather or other programs besides Ultimate traffic. I have tried different airports, default aircrafts, addons etc.  No difference, the sec. the airport cache bar shows, the FSX is minimized.
Only way around this problem is loading the AC in Windowed mode, and change back with the Alt+enter.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 10:49:50 am »
I'm sorry but, as I've said, we don't have any control over that window. We just send a totally standard Simconnect command to the sim containing the text we want, and the sim will draw the window entirely on its own.

So, if the problem is fixed by alternating between full screen and windowed mode, it's clearly something happening entirely inside the sim itself and/or possibly the video driver, so it's totally unrelated to GSX, which just *happen* to require to use that window, but it will probably happen just the same with every other addon that would use it.

SOME 3rd party addons use hacks to write such text. Some use FSUIPC. We use only the official documented way, which is Simconnect, meaning we don't control that window from our software.

The loading time for the Airport Cache is hence very quick, but when i select a plane (addon or default) the gren GSX Airport Cache bar flash in a second again, and at the instance, FSX is minimized to the taskbar, and will normally only come back by closing down FSX via the Ctr+alt+delete "end job" command.

Nobody ever reported this. When you switch an airplane, GSX restarts Couatl, which will just write "Airport cache loaded successfully" message. Assuming this is what you see and not, instead, a longer cache regeneration message, which can last more but, again, nobody ever reported such behavior before.

JensPeter

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 03:49:14 pm »
Umberto, Thanks for kind Your effort, im sure you are wright, becaurse a lot of other users would have the same problem, and report it.
I just happen when i updated GSX (last drop) and i have been using GSX from the very start. I dont know if it will help to reinstall simconnect, i might try, or roll back some of the windows updates.
Take Care
JP

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 09:36:38 am »
I dont know if it will help to reinstall simconnect, i might try, or roll back some of the windows updates.

An issue with Simconnect, like missing the correct version, will prevent the program from running. Something like your report, especially the fact it happens only in full screen, seems to indicate more a video driver / settings problem.

JensPeter

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 05:58:42 pm »
Just for Your information.
I have wiped my very large FSX installation, formatted the HD, re-installed Windows7, Nvidia inspector +++ and installed only 1 airport, PMDG NGX, Orbx vector, global, and LC's and LOWI, witout any problems.
The instance i re-installed GSX and tried to load a plane, the problem was back right away. and as explained, i have been using GSX from the very early days running very fine in Full-screen mode, and with a ton of Addons.

JensPeter

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 10:26:30 am »
Today i made following tests
Removed SODE from its default location - No Change
Removed GSX - fullscreen was ok again.
De-installed the complete FSDT installation with all related files.
Installed the old GSX version 1.9.9.10 with the Addon manager, sode etc., booted up FSX, and could again load a plane in Fullscreen.
Next thing to do is installing the FSDT airports again, but the problem is triggered by the installation of the new version of GSX/companions

JensPeter

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 03:29:39 pm »
After Re-installing my first FSDT airport (Klax) the Addon manager and all the associated files were updated, and back to square one i am, FSX was minimized and away to the taskbar again when selecting a plane.