Author Topic: Monolith at approach end of 18L KCLT  (Read 9055 times)

jwyman

Monolith at approach end of 18L KCLT
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:53:48 am »
Haven't seen this before.....Looks like part of end of runway (approach end of 18L KCLT) is sticking straight up out of the ground....

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Monolith at approach end of 18L KCLT
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:47:10 am »
Surely doesn't happen here and that's not supposed to be happening. Are you still using FSX SP2 perhaps ?

There as still some bugs left in it with rotated objects, which has been fixed in FSX+Acceleration Pack or FSX:SE but, unfortunately, nobody is going to fix them in FSX SP2.

You can TRY resetting your FSX.CFG to default, this might possibly caused by a tweak or a setting that is not right for your system. To reset the FSX.CFG to default, remove (or move to a different folder, to keep a backup of it) this file:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX.CFG

Then start FSX and it will build a new one with all default settings. Apply ONLY the HIGHMEMFIX=1 tweak, and nothing else.

Then, after the FSX.CFG has been reset, you'll have to reinstall the scenery, otherwise nothing will work, since it will have to add its own path for Simobjects. There are also other addons that might require their own SimobjectPaths in the FSX.CFG, like SODE or UT2, which will have to be reinstalled.

If you know how to edit the file manually, you might take the existing SimobjectPaths lines for your OLD FSX.CFG, that's why it would be best making a backup first and/or moving it to a different folder, instead of just removing it.

jwyman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:01:01 pm »
Yes, I am using SP2 for FSX...

The last install of scenery i did was KDEN from Flightbeam.....

I haven't seen this before but it could have happened before installing the FB scenery..

Will take a look this evening and clear out fsx.cfg...

Jim

jwyman

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:56:18 pm »
Well i deactivated every add-on except KCLT..

Re-started FSX.... Still the monolith exists.....

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:42:23 am »
Well i deactivated every add-on except KCLT..  Re-started FSX.... Still the monolith exists.....

Obviously yes, since it IS part of the scenery, which is not displaying correctly because some problems with video settings. Which is why, I said to clear your FSX.CFG and set ONLY the HIGHMEMFIX = 1 tweak. Have you done that ?

jwyman

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 01:46:53 pm »
I have not done this due to the time and complexity of all the add-ons i have installed...

I will do this when i get home today if possible.

I am running DX10 Fixer if that means anything....

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »
I am running DX10 Fixer if that means anything....

That might be a possible cause. DX10 mode is quite bugged, especially in FSX SP2, and the fixed might improve some things, and break others. Do you see any difference in DX9 mode ?

jwyman

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 05:23:42 pm »
I will check......

jwyman

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 10:40:27 pm »
Deactivated DX10 and associated Fixer... Monolith still present

Deactivated all known scenery except FSDT KCLT - Monolith still present

Saved off fsx.cfg and had one created from scratch.....Monolith still present

Moved sliders for all scenery and associated details....Monolith still present

Only other thing is to de-install then re-install KCLT....

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 12:07:56 am »
Only other thing is to de-install then re-install KCLT....

That surely won't fix it, I'm afraid.

The only thing I can think of, is to add an option in the scenery menu to disable that object (it's the runway EMAS), for FSX-SP2 users.

jwyman

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 01:34:27 pm »
Umberto,
  One thing that was strange is sometimes i would deactivate either scenery or re-do the fsxcfg from scratch and the monolith didn't appear.
I thought to myself that it was fixed. However, i would shut down FSX and restart it and it would re-appear....
This happened over several recycles of FSX...

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 03:49:16 pm »
  One thing that was strange is sometimes i would deactivate either scenery or re-do the fsxcfg from scratch and the monolith didn't appear. I thought to myself that it was fixed. However, i would shut down FSX and restart it and it would re-appear.... This happened over several recycles of FSX...

It's normal the object would disappear if you disable the scenery, since it's part of the scenery. However, it's strange you said you reset the FSX.CFG, restart the sim and the object would appear again.

Are you sure you reset the FSX.CFG ? Normally, after you reset the FSX.CFG, the scenery wouldn't work, because of the missing SimobjectPaths lines which are added by the installer ? Are you restoring these lines manually after resetting the file ? If yes, are you sure you are restoring only these lines, and not the whole old file for example ?

jwyman

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 03:59:48 pm »
Yes, i manually restored those lines needed only...

The re-appearance of the monolith appeared after de-activating all my scenery except KCLT and also after re-generating the fsx.cfg file...

jwyman

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 11:35:29 pm »
Umberto,
  Not sure what happened... Don't know if the Rwy 18 light fix in the latest update did it or placing the KCLT scenery as #1 in my scenery library, but the monolith has disappeared. Yay!

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 11:38:39 pm »
Don't know if the Rwy 18 light fix in the latest update did it

It might be related, since the location is close.

But we just removed the 3d lights, which worked for everybody, the only users reporting this were FSX-SP2 users and it's a known fact FSX-SP2 has rendering bugs of otherwise perfectly fine 3d objects, which don't appear with FSX-Xpack or FSX:SE or any version of P3D.