Author Topic: Addon Manager: Cannot enter serial number **SOLVED**  (Read 4055 times)

ronkurz77

Addon Manager: Cannot enter serial number **SOLVED**
« on: April 11, 2018, 04:14:59 pm »
I have a new computer (Windows 10, P3Dv4.2) and would like to reinstall LSZH and LSGG (and GSX for that matter)

Using the Addon-Manager in the sim, choosing re-install, when it comes to asking me, if I still have the original serial number, I click yes - but then nothing happens, no window to enter the number.
Same thing if I click on Register-Serial ... no window, no nothing.

Anti Virus and Defender deactivated.

Any ideas?

Thx
Ron
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:44:09 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Do you have the Couatl and GSX menus under the "Addons" menu bar ?

Are you running another addon that is forcing itself into the foreground ? That might cause the serial number dialog to go hidden behind the main simulator window. Addons that starts the sim themselves might also cause this. Don't use them during the registration and start the sim from its own icon.

Anti Virus and Defender deactivated.

That might not be enough. You should configure the antivirus to exclude the Addon Manager folder before installing, to ensure the installer won't be blocked from installing some files and the updater which is run at the end won't be blocked either, because it might require to download something else.

And yes, I personally witnessed an antivirus which was still blocking files when it was disabled, because it "looked" disabled, but its background service that starts with Windows was still running.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:23:42 am by virtuali »

ronkurz77

Thanx Umberto

I went over all the (anti-virus) permissions and de-activated them. It's all working now - but I also noticed the following:

The 'Enter Serial Number' window did show up now  ;D. BUT: if I then changed the focus to a notepad window to copy/paste the serial number, I could not re-enter or paste it in the Serial-Number window (neither paste nor manually). The only way I could enter the serial number was, if I did it right away, without changing the focus (to another window). Weird, no?

But bottom line: all is OK - thanx!

Ron

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I tried it now, and I could switch to notepad and then paste the Serial Number.

However, the paste works only if you right-click on the serial number field and select "Paste" from the menu. It doesn't take the usual keyboard shortcuts like CTRL+V or CTRL+Ins normally associated with Paste.

However, none of this was required, if you just used the .REG file which was created in your "home" (the folder with your name, usually under C:\Users\YOURNAME ) because, the whole point of the .REG file, was to prevent you from having to type the Serial Number manually.

So, the fastest and more foolproof way to reinstall, if you have your existing .REG file (we assume you don't trash your own home folder when reinstalling the system, and do a backup...) is:

- With the sim closed, double-click the .REG file, for example FSDreamTeam_ZurichX.REG, located under C:\Users\YOURNAME

- Confirm you want to insert it in the registry.

- Start the sim, it will ask if you want to reactivate Zurich, just say YES, no manual serial input required.