Author Topic: Request regarding pushback  (Read 1829 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
Request regarding pushback
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:02:07 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Would it be possible for the pushback sequence to be altered so that the aircraft doesn’t start to turn until a certain distance has been achieved?

I ask because the front of the aircraft needs to clear the jetway and if the turn starts too soon it gets uncomfortably close.

Maybe a user-configurable distance in Settings?
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Request regarding pushback
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:29:21 pm »
Not as easy as it seems. Our pushback it's not a "dumb" algorithm like the ones used by several airplanes, which simply tell "go backward x meters, turn this direction, stop", but in order to have the path following the taxiways and, most important, ending lined up with them, it solves a mathematical bezier spline over the nodes of the scenery AFCAD so, it's guaranteed it will use a proper turn radius and will end up perfectly lined up with the taxiway at the end, everywhere.

If we added something like that, we'd affect the possible solution for that spline that, eventually, might start to "pinch", resulting in totally weird paths.

So, the best solution to perfect this, which works 99% of the times perfectly, is to act on that single problematic airport, which most likely has either nodes too close to the parking, or some other unusual node configuration, which would cause the curve being fit in a way that required to turn early.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
Re: Request regarding pushback
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 01:38:21 am »
Hi Umberto.

Crikey! I wasn’t expecting a reply that included the phrase “mathematical bezier spline”  :)

I accept your explanation that the pushback sequence is quite complicated and relies on good quality AFCADs. Unfortunately this problem is not limited to one or two airports. It seems designers don’t always give the AFCAD their greatest attention since programs like ADE will find numerous faults in them.

I suppose I’ll just have to live with it. It’s not a huge problem but I thought I’d ask in case you had a simple solution.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.