Author Topic: KLAS Textures resizer - will help against stuttering  (Read 18316 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
KLAS Textures resizer - will help against stuttering
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:11:58 pm »
Here's a batch file that will resize all the biggest textures at KLAS to 512x512 instead of the default 1024x1024, that should improve the stuttering, because VRAM memory requirements are now 4x less

Unzip the file in the following folder

fs9\fsdreamteam\klas\texture

And run the resize.bat program. At the end of the process, you'll see that all the 1MB textures are now about 300K each. If you want to go back to the original hires textures, just reinstall the scenery.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:04:07 pm by virtuali »

Frank Lindberg

Re: KLAS Textures resizer - will help against stuttering
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:39:46 pm »
Will it change anything regarding the graphics? or is there not any big differences between 512x512 and 1024x1024?
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:47:40 pm »
Textures will be slightly less sharp, of course. Just try it yourself, the final effect depends a lot on the video card settings as well.

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:59:02 pm »
Will Geforce 8800GTX do it?
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

combatshadow077

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:38:16 am »
Lindbergh, test out the scenery in your sim.  If you don't see any major problems with stuttering, you're probably fine.  I'm sure a 8800GTX would be just fine.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »
Will Geforce 8800GTX do it?

That card ( I own one...) is perfectly able to handle even higher resolution textures than what we normally use (other than being able to handle FSX, for that matters...).

The problem is not the card itself, the stuttering is not caused by the card, is caused because the FS9 engine is not able to use multi-core to load textures so, whenever a certain amount of texture data needs to be sent to the video card, the sim will still use the one core FS9 is running on, possibly stalling it and thus creating the stutters. In FSX, instead, the loading is done with a spare core, which is usually always available, since FSX doen't take all cores for itself during normal flight. That's why those fixes are for FS9 only.

The only solution that seems to work, is just decreasing the amount of textures data to be sent, by lowering their resolution, and this is what the resizers do.

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »
I don't have any problems with the originals graphic (1024x1024), was just asking about it  ;)
My average FPS in Vegas airport is ca. 45 to 55, that's okay, right?

wideloadwhitford

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:05:53 pm »
I get the same with my 8800GTS
Windows 10 64bit
16GB DDR3
512SSD
nVidia 970GTX 4GB

Tomlin

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:25:39 pm »
Thanks for offering this. I may need to do this myself. I just purchased the package and Ive only used it for 5 minutes. However, there were some major 1-2 second pauses and Ive never had that on my system (AMD 64x2 3.0 ghz w/4 GB Ram/ 9800GTX w/512 MB). I have to say though that these happened in the KLAS area, even after the scenery had disabled (prior to purchase) so Im not sure if it's a region issue, or related to the new FS Elemental cloud enhancements, although Ive not see those micro pauses till I visited KLAS about 2 days ago when trying this package out. Bottom line- I should have no issues running this scenery, however it might not be related to the FSDT KLAS, but to the region itself, or the new clouds from FSE.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 10:07:35 pm »
Bottom line- I should have no issues running this scenery, however it might not be related to the FSDT KLAS, but to the region itself, or the new clouds from FSE.

The issue, as we explained several times, is not caused by the scenery alone. It's caused by the fact that FS9 can't load textures as efficently as FSX, that use multi-cores. So, in any case many textures are requested, the sim can stall. Textures can be called by anything: other scenery in the area, landclass, clouds, airplane liveries (user and AI), anything.

By resizing our textures we just lessen the demands from our side but, if you have lots of textures coming from anything else, enough to fill up what the sim can handle, it might just not be enough. That's why it changes depending on area, what the default scenery around looks like, what other addons are installed, and not everyone is seeing it the same.

Dillon

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 06:09:28 am »
Virtuali can I run this utility in any texture folder (KJFK for example)???

Nevermind I just found my answer, you already made a file for KJFK...  :-\  ;D

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:42:55 am by Dillon »

Dyl16

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 04:08:34 am »
Hi,
I just did the texture resizer thing and I did everything correctly but now my airport textures are all grey, like there arent any textures at all!! Please Help!