Author Topic: JFK FS9 Textures resizer - will help against stuttering  (Read 22524 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
JFK FS9 Textures resizer - will help against stuttering
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:44:57 pm »
Here's a batch file that will resize all the biggest textures at JFK to 512x512 instead of the default 1024x1024, that should improve the stuttering, because VRAM memory requirements are now 4x less

Unzip the file in the following folder

fs9\fsdreamteam\jfk\texture

And run the resize.bat program. At the end of the process, you'll see that all the 1MB textures are now about 300K each. If you want to go back to the original hires textures, just reinstall the scenery.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:01:37 pm by virtuali »

RobbieG

Re: JFK FS9 Texture resizer - will help with stutters
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:07:04 pm »
Hi Virtuali,

This wont work in Vista, It will only work if I run as Administrator and running it like that is saying that I need to run in 
fs9\fsdreamteam\jfk\texture folder.

Some Vista users will run into problems likewise Im stuck.

Regards,

Robbie

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: JFK FS9 Texture resizer - will help with stutters
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:26:07 pm »
This wont work in Vista, It will only work if I run as Administrator and running it like that is saying that I need to run in 

fs9\fsdreamteam\jfk\texture folder.

Some Vista users will run into problems likewise Im stuck.

I'm running it in Vista. Try to grant read/write permission to "Everyone" for your jfk\texture folder.

OR, you can just copy your JFK texture folder into a new folder on a location you surely have write permissions, like a folder on your Desktop, let the resizer run from there, and then copy back the resized texture on the Fs9 folder.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:28:42 pm by virtuali »

B777ER

Re: JFK FS9 Textures resizer - will help against stuttering
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:29:00 pm »
Umberto- much much thanks for this file!!
Eric

BAW063

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:20:53 pm »
Hi guys,

Just bought the scenery. I have just resized the textures. I am getting a much smoother experience now thanks! But I am getting "ghost" images of the runway markings. I am getting two 13 L and double center lines. They are slightly offset from the centerline.
 Any ideas?

James

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »
The double lines doesn't have anything to do with either the resizer or the scenery itself. They are probably coming from another scenery, or the AFCAD of another scenery.

First, be sure that you have JFK on top of the Scenery Library, which is were the installer puts it anyway.

Then, if you still double markings, try to use the AFCAD utility to check how many AFCADs your have for KJFK. You should have two and not more: the default from MS, and ours in our folder. If you have more, remove all the extra.

BAW063

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:16:55 pm »
Hi Virtuali,

Problem sorted. It was the Oceanflight JFK afcad. Now removed. Thank you.

James

christiaan

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 07:26:22 pm »
A small question.

If I install the low res textures is it not easier to make a back-up of the original scenery file, then copy

these back if I am not satisfied instead of re-installing the airport?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:53 pm »
If I install the low res textures is it not easier to make a back-up of the original scenery file, then copy these back if I am not satisfied instead of re-installing the airport

I don't see how it would be easier to have to manually backup your textures, instead of running the automated installer. However, if you still prefer to do it manually, just store the whole fsdreamteam\jfk\texture folder somewere, before running the resizer.

christiaan

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 04:13:50 pm »
Never re-sized up  to now so I have a question

I up-packed the file in the file where I all my d/l files go to.

(There were 3 files Re-size dos, Image tool and nconvert)

I ticked on the batch file end got a black window saying there was any error and if I want to continue press any key so I cancelled.

Copied the re-size file into my texture file and got an error message that two files one of which is the Image tool were missing. So I cancelled again

Have I to copy all three files from where I have my downloads into the texture folder then run the batch?

I once made the mistake of running the FS9.1 update from outside the FS and could not install this up-date until I copied the modules from a friend's PC., after receiving excellent advice from Virtuali.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:24:19 pm by henry »

jgoggi

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 10:19:02 pm »
Umberto, I tried the resized textures but the graphic effect is much worse than before, I get a lot of shimmering and the textures are not as smooth. Of course you will say that this cannot be avoided, since the file size is now smaller, so should I "put my soul in peace" or is there a solution?
I did not think I could get that stuttering with an i7-920 processor, 6 Gb of Ram and a GTX 285 graphic card.
Thanks.
James Goggi

RobbieG

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 10:33:27 pm »
Hi,

Sorry I took so long to get back, this scenery is probably one of my most favourite. I love New York and this scenery really is my favourite away from home. It works perfectly.

Regards,

Robbie

hombrexp

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 01:39:22 am »
Hi Umberto, I have the FSX version of KJFK, can this resizer be used on those textures as well?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 04:09:07 pm »
Hi Umberto, I have the FSX version of KJFK, can this resizer be used on those textures as well?

No, it won't work, and there's no need to, because stuttering is not caused by the textures themselves, but the fact that FS9 can't load them in multithreading, while FSX can. So, if you have at least a dual core (or better) cpu, there will be no gain in FSX by reducing textures.

If your video card has little VRAM (less than 512MB), you can obtain exactly the same effect by simply lowering one notch the "Global Max Textures Size" in FSX, which will do exactly that: reducing size from 1024x1024 to 512x512 and, since FSX CAN load textures in background with unused cores, the effect will be the same as the resizer in FS9.

hombrexp

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 06:37:49 am »
I have a very fast pc (4.2ghz I7 and a GTX 480) so I don't have to be concerned.
Thanks for the explanation Umberto!