Author Topic: P3Dv4 KLAX A320x Scenario takes 5 minutes to fully load...is this normal??  (Read 3568 times)

deadbug

I'm relatively new to P3Dv4, but after putting it through the paces for the last couple of weeks and comparing various scenarios and add-on airports using the FSL A320x...I was experiencing what I thought was an abnormally long wait time at the FSDT KLAX airport for the sim to load a user-defined profile--5:15 to 5:30.  Most of the "hang time" occurs at the 6% point loading terrain.  At other airports it loads in almost half the time or less...i.e. KPHX - KDFW also fully loaded with same weather was 3:00 minutes to fully load.

My question to all you experienced folks is: Is this time to load normal?  Seriously...5-5.5 minutes?  Thanks--just trying to see if I have  problem, or this is just the way it is.

Here's my setup:
LM P3Dv4.1; ORBX: FTX Global, Global Vector, Open LC-NA, FTX Global Trees HD, NA-socal and norcal, FTX NA Airport Pack
Ultimate Traffic Live
Wx: CLear skies, 0900 Local time calm wind
FSL A320x scenario: parked at KLAX (v2) Gte 47B, engines running, FMC fully loaded with route KLAX-KPHX, all INIT and PERF pages (all flight phases) completed properly, FCDU programmed and set for SID, Routing entered: Dep 25R-DOTTS2 CNERY BLH>HYDRR1-07R

Pretty hot (and new) Gaming PC:
XIDAX X-6 running up-to-date WIndows 10-64bit
Asrock Z370 Killer SLI AC motherboard
i7 8700K processor
32GB system DD4 RAM
MSI GTX 1080Ti NVDIA Graphic card w/11GB memory
Monitor: Acer Predator 32" 4K

Best Regards,
Bill

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Re: P3Dv4 KLAX A320x Scenario takes 5 minutes to fully load...is this normal??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:45:42 pm »
  How long does it take with FTX SoCal disabled? It's the major performance killer in the area.

deadbug

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 10:51:47 pm »
Dave,

Is there a way to easily disable it?  I'm not really familiar enough with orbx.  I'd be happy to test if there was a simple way to disable it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:58:27 pm »
.I was experiencing what I thought was an abnormally long wait time at the FSDT KLAX airport for the sim to load a user-defined profile--5:15 to 5:30.  Most of the "hang time" occurs at the 6% point loading terrain. 

You are not experiencing a long loading time at FSDT KLAX. You are experiencing a long loading time in the L.A. area, which incidentally has an FSDT airport installed into, which is also a victim of the slow loading caused by another scenery you have installed for that area.

Clear proof of this, is the loading seemingly stuck at the "terrain" loading stage. At that point, our airport hasn't even *begun* to load, and we can say that for sure, since we manage almost the whole loading process in a custom way so, almost everything in the scenery, STARTS to load AFTER the loading progress bar is PAST 100%.

The sim stuck loading at the terrain, it's probably the other huge set of addons you said you have, which in fact handle terrain.

Vector scenery will trigger an automatic creation of terrain textures, which are made by compositing the base landclass with the additional vector data and, the more detailed the vector data is, the more it takes to create the textures and, you can be sure the L.A. area is *VERY* detailed.

The good thing about this, is that very complex vector data will affect only the scenery load time but, since all the streets, highways, railways, lakes, rivers, etc, is burned in, it won't affect fps much.

deadbug

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:15:37 pm »
Wow--thanks virtuali!!!

So given the area and my scenery add-ons, this 5-5.5 minutes wouldn't be considered excessive.  I guess we'll just have to go have a snack while that scenario loads  ;D

Thank you very much again for the in-depth reply.  I did notice the FPS wasn't too bad (but definitely impacted by the area) particularly when pointed back toward the basin after a 25R departure.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 11:18:33 pm »
Try to exclude the whole P3D folder from antivirus scanning and, if you have sceneries installed outside the sim, exclude those folders too. When there are so many files in a folder, disabling the antivirus usually helps.

deadbug

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:09:42 am »
Yes, I had already excluded all the P3D folders from the antivirus.  Good point though.