Author Topic: Live Update oddities  (Read 3470 times)

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Live Update oddities
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:59:18 pm »
  I installed KMEM and KSDF a couple months ago to demo and test it out but uninstalled both of them and then removed the KMEM and KSDF folders from my FSDT Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam. Now when running the Live Update, it seems to download the entire KMEM scenery file by file.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:05:31 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Live Update oddities
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:50:49 pm »
uninstalled both of them and then removed the KMEM and KSDF folders from my FSDT Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam. Now when running the Live Update, it seems to download the entire KMEM scenery file by file.

That can only happen if you removed the scenery folders INSTEAD (not in addition to) of running the uninstaller since, if you ran the uninstaller, you wouldn't even had the scenery folders to remove.

It's best if you reinstall them both, and this time really run their Uninstaller. Don't remove anything by hand.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:22:08 am »
Thanks, Umberto, I'll give that a go. 99% positive that I wouldn't have just deleted the folder without uninstalling it first though.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:20:25 pm »
 I've done as requested like I did when I first uninstalled Memphis but still, when I run Live update it downloads KMEM very slowly file by file. There are no references to KMEM or Memphis in my registry, any ideas?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:02:50 pm »
I've done as requested like I did when I first uninstalled Memphis but still, when I run Live update it downloads KMEM very slowly file by file. There are no references to KMEM or Memphis in my registry, any ideas?

The registry doesn't have anything to do with this. The Live Update thinks KMEM is still installed, because the folder that contains its objects is still there:

Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc\FSDT_KMEM

This folder will surely be removed if you ran the scenery uninstaller so, it's not supposed to be there. However, if your original KMEM was MIGRATED from another previous installation using the old installers (the ones that used to install INTO the sim), its uninstaller won't remove anything (uninstallers remove only files from their original locations).

Which is why I said: "It's best if you reinstall them both, and this time really run their Uninstaller", because reinstalling would create a new updated uninstaller. Of course, you must use the latest installers.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 11:34:00 pm »
 I wouldn't have ever migrated MEM over it's obviously stupid to do so and I only had it installed briefly as a trial to assist someone with UTL. I also assure you that I ran the uninstaller both times with similar results as a result.
 I'll try again and see what happens, luckily bandwidth is free.  ;)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:37:52 pm »
I wouldn't have ever migrated MEM over it's obviously stupid to do so

I don't think you understood what I meant with "migrated".

It's not something you can choose to do or not. If you had KMEM installed by an older installer, one that was made before we updated all installers to install outside the sim, when you ran one of the latest installers, they would do the migration to the new location automatically.

This was made to save users from having to redownload everything and reinstall everything, just to move to the new folders. But the downside of this, is that the old uninstallers won't work anymore with the migrated scenery.

That's the only possible reason for the uninstaller to leave the \Simobjects\Misc\FSDT_KMEM there, which is what is causing the Live Update trying to update it.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 11:52:11 pm »
 Lol, ok gotcha.. But no I didn't do anything like that either. Both times have been fresh downloads and installed with the new addon manager.

I've just installed and uninstalled it again and still the KMEM folder remains in the FSDT Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc. There's no actual files left over, but 116 folders within.

update: I deleted the remaining leftover KMEM folders and ran the live updater without getting a fresh copy of KMEM this time. Success!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:57:51 pm by Dave_YVR »