Author Topic: Problems installing FSDT Scenery in P3Dv4 **SOLVED**  (Read 5337 times)

mikewings

Problems installing FSDT Scenery in P3Dv4 **SOLVED**
« on: February 12, 2018, 05:08:00 pm »
I am having problems with the FSDT installer not being able to complete the installation of  KCLT or KSDF scenery.  The installer stops with the task suspended at the location shown in the attatchment.  Generally always the same place:
Running Windows 10, P3DV4 and I have GSX ground services installed and seemingly working fine.

Additional information:
•   After uninstalling GSX Ground Services I was able to load the KCLT scenery.  However, when trying to re-install GSX Ground Services once KCLT was loaded, the installer stopped and was hung up at an early point in the GSX installation.  The only way I was able to get GSX reinstalled was to Uninstall, KCLT Scenery and then install GSX once again.

•   In Summary, GSX initially loaded fine and seems to be running fine, but I am unable to load any other FSDT scenery without the installer hanging up and being suspended from execution.

•   I have tried loading without Windows Defender turned on as well as installing as Administrator.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:42:21 pm by virtuali »
Mike Willey
VATSIM Controller / PMDG 737 Simulator
St Paul, MN USA

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problems installing FSDT Scenery in P3Dv4
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:15:29 pm »
I'm sorry but, the uninstaller at that stage is not doing anything out of the ordinary, other than copying files. The only possible issues I can think of are:

- You are too low of hard drive space on the Windows temporary folder. Even if you chose to install GSX on a different drive, the installer will always first uncompress all its files in the Windows temporary folder, then will copy them to their final destination. This is standard with every installer out there so, if you are low on space on the disk that holds the Windows temporary folder, you are going to have issues with many other installers too. Depending, of course, how many files they need to uncompress.

OR

- You still have some kind of antivirus or similar security product interfering with it. Many users think they have turned off every antivirus, just because they have turned off Windows defender, but they might still have other similar products doing the same thing, which would require being disabled.

mikewings

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:00:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply and thoughts on this.. It will help with debugging..

I have not had any trouble with any other installer including OBRX, Fly Tampa, other scenery or any other add on, but I will check this issue with the Temp Folder.

I will follow up with anti virus issues but, again, have not had any problem with any other installation on this build..

Again, Thanks
Mike Willey
St Paul, MN USA

mikewings

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »
Some additional information :

The problem is occurring when the installer is trying to write files to the Addon Manager folder and it seems to hang up when trying to write to a directory that already exists.  I know this because I can get the installer to not hang up at that point by deleting the folder that it is trying to write to when it stops and then rerun the installer. The installer will then continue past the previous stop point to the next point where there is a directory or file that has already been installed by a previous installation (GSX in this case).  However, even if I delete all of the duplicate files, when it completes the file installations it does not complete the entire installation process and the scenery is not installed properly..

Not sure where to go from here...
Mike Willey
St Paul, MN USA

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:51:28 am »
The problem is occurring when the installer is trying to write files to the Addon Manager folder and it seems to hang up when trying to write to a directory that already exists. 

It surely doesn't do that (everybody would have reported it by now) unless, as I've said, some kind of external program, like an antivirus or similar security product, is interfering and blocking the installer.

Some users don't realize the have multiple security products running at the same time so, just turning off Windows Defender, which is the one that doesn't usually cause issues, it's not enough.

And yes, there's no way you can be able to use the product, unless the installation completes, since it has to update the sim configuration for the scenery.

Try this:

- Uninstall everything from FSDT. Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?"

- If you still have an  Addon Manager folder after this step, remove it manually

- REBOOT WINDOWS

- Reinstall.

mikewings

Re: Problems installing FSDT Scenery in P3Dv4 **** PROBLEM SOLVED****
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:21:07 pm »
Deleting all of the FSDT addons and then manually deleting the ADDON FOLDER itself along with then reinstalling GSX then the Scenery after a CLEAN BOOT solved the problems.  There was always enough memory and no other virus programs running other than Windows Defender.

I was not questioning your comments Umberto, as I have been programming computers since the 60's but there was something unique about what was going on here that was created the problem.   Thanks leading me down the right path to get it resolved.  GSX, KCLT aqnd KSDF are now working well..

Mike Willey
St Paul, MN USA

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problems installing FSDT Scenery in P3Dv4 **** PROBLEM SOLVED****
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:42:15 pm »
Deleting all of the FSDT addons and then manually deleting the ADDON FOLDER itself along with then reinstalling GSX then the Scenery after a CLEAN BOOT solved the problems. 

I guess you might have had a permission problem on the Addon Manager folder, and removing it manually fixed it, since our installer will of course recreate it with the proper permissions.

mikewings

Re: Problems installing FSDT Scenery in P3Dv4 **SOLVED**
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:46:46 pm »
YES, that is entirely possible as I had made many permission changes to access directories from networked computers operating with the SIM computer..
Mike Willey
St Paul, MN USA