Author Topic: Can Large Baggage Containers Be Removed (Repeated)  (Read 3583 times)

mbscjohnp

Can Large Baggage Containers Be Removed (Repeated)
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:21:44 pm »
Last November 8, Umberto replied to my request the day before:  "We will check on this."  Yesterday, I replied to that post with "Has anything been done?" with no reply.  Someone got carried away with placing large baggage containers next to each parking spot and these interfere with GSX catering and baggage loaders and carts.  Supposedly, a fix was in the works to permit users ability for removal of these items.  Please advise.  John
Retired (mostly tired) pilot (bus driver), whose Flight Surgeon declined to re-certify and bosses said to "go fishing", but still paying every month. Now simming familiar routes in an Airbus (fly-by-wire & only touch the knobs when ATC says so) "bring a good book". Cockpit should have online movies.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can Large Baggage Containers Be Removed (Repeated)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:11:26 pm »
Last November 8, Umberto replied to my request the day before:  "We will check on this."

We will check on this. That doesn't mean "We will immediately release a fix"

Yesterday, I replied to that post with "Has anything been done?" with no reply.

It was Sunday. Do you always work on weekends ?

Supposedly, a fix was in the works to permit users ability for removal of these items. 

Nobody ever said a fix is "in the works". Only that we'll check on this, as soon as possible. I'm afraid our resources are limited and, right now, KLAX author is very busy working on KORD remake, which is by far the most urgent update, which will make KORD user very angry if we'll delay it any further.

mbscjohnp

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:05:19 pm »
My goodness Umberto.  I was referring to my earlier November post, not to my "Sunday" post not getting a reply.  Sorry for upsetting you.  As to this "fix", Flightbeam was able to fix these AFCAD situations within a very short time, after I asked them to do the same fix as I asked you to "check into" in November, by using their new "Manager" (which removes their programs from the "Addon Manager") to permit the user to unselect these items in ALL of their AFCADs.  Someone should check with them on how to do it in the same amount of time.  I can get you a link <grin> Just a suggestion.  Peace brother.  John
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:11:03 pm by mbscjohnp »
Retired (mostly tired) pilot (bus driver), whose Flight Surgeon declined to re-certify and bosses said to "go fishing", but still paying every month. Now simming familiar routes in an Airbus (fly-by-wire & only touch the knobs when ATC says so) "bring a good book". Cockpit should have online movies.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:04:11 pm »
My goodness Umberto.  I was referring to my earlier November post, not to my "Sunday" post not getting a reply.

But you wrote this:

Yesterday, I replied to that post with "Has anything been done?" with no reply.

Yesterday surely doesn't sound like you were referring to the November post, surely not in this 2nd sentence, and to THIS I was replying to, when saying "do you always work on weekends ?"

As to this "fix", Flightbeam was able to fix these AFCAD situations within a very short time

The issue is, you are assuming these have anything to do with AFCAD, but they don't. Some of these objects are created by our script engine, and (IF they are separate objects), they are usually removed AUTOMATICALLY by GSX, only when GSX selects a gate, so you are not presented with the choice between always having an empty scenery, just to be sure nothing will never conflict with GSX, or having a more detailed scenery, which might clash with it, because THANKS to the cooperation between the scenery and GSX, you can have both.

However, not all of them are automatically removable, and they are usually embedded as details of a larger 3d objects, since it's better for performance. So, while a traditional scenery using .BGLs might look simpler to fix, it's coming with some performance cost, since separate objects in their own .BGL are harder on fps than a detail of a bigger mesh.

Now, it would be easier if you could make an example of a problematic gate, so we could check more easily if this is just a case of an automatically-GSX-removable object that for some reason cannot be removed automatically, or it's just a detail mesh that would require some reworking of the 3d object.

mbscjohnp

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:28 am »
Umberto, apologies again.  At your KLAX, there exist a large number of cargo and baggage containers at the right side of almost every gate.  GSX does not remove these and GSX vehicles ALWAYS (trucks back into)(baggage carts run over) them.  I had been trying to use gate 77, but showing my neighbor the loading effects of GSX, he asked why the catering trucks back into the baggage containers.  After looking at every UAL gate, I finally located a single one without these containers:  B71.  With ADE, I was able to add some static containers, three of my own through Sketchup, and a large static loader, and all out of the way of GSX vehicles into your program by replacing the bgl and it looks great.  The only problem at this gate is that an A320 has to be placed further away from the building, or the gate will not function.  No large problem, as saving the flight places the aircraft in the saved position.  At KSFOHD, I was able to remove every cargo and baggage container with one press of a button and replace ones that I desired, again using ADE and replacing the existing bgl.  I will await a possible fix of KLAX, so that I will be able to use my actual gate again in the future.  Thanks for all you do.  John
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:54:26 am by mbscjohnp »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:00:40 am »
We found the issue and, it was a bug introduced in GSX at some time, in order to improve the protection of other developers objects, which are not removed if they are static (not ground vehicles), which was necessary since lots of other scenery developers started using SODE to create static scenery, so we don't remove static objects anymore if they are not created by Couatl/GSX, and at KLAX they were created by the Addon Manager instead, so their special case handing stopped to work, since they are also static.

The fix will appear as soon as possible in the next GSX update, so KLAX will work as it was supposed to: automatically, without requiring to edit any ADE file or changing the scenery, so you can keep the good detail on when the gate is not used, and make space for GSX objects when required.

mbscjohnp

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:59:37 am »
Umberto:  Thanks for checking on this matter.  I was confident that you and your folks could find the answer.  Will await the revised GSX, but had fun making the addons (only took a few hours and some looks from the wife, "supper is ready and getting cold") and will likely use them in any update, as they look pretty good.  John