Author Topic: Photoreal Ground shows through surface  (Read 10191 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Photoreal Ground shows through surface
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 12:04:38 am »
Until there is a true explanation I think I'm done with this scenery for now.

You mean the Aerosoft scenery ? Because, according to your own report:

I can confirm that Aerosoft's Vegas seems to the conflict. I uninstalled and as above see no more photoreal aircraft.

Is the one that is causing the problem to begin with. In any case, we'll try to get in touch with the scenery developers if they have any ideas about this.

robains

• Beta tester
    • Rob Ainscough
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 06:47:34 am »
I had this problem also, but I don't have MSE or Aerosoft Las Vegas installed, only FSDT and Orbx NorCal and FTX Global.

Was there any resolution to this issue?

Cheers, Rob.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 02:53:34 pm »
I finally had some spare time to have a look at the Aerosoft Las Vegas scenery (but I believe it's the same with other similar products), and the issue is they have a photoreal terrain which is of higher resolution than our own, LOD17 ( 30 cm/px ), compared to LOD15 ( 1mt/pixel ).

If you set the Texture resolution ( not the Mesh resolution ) to be higher than 1 mt/pixel, the sim will try to load the higher resolution textures even if the scenery is on a lower priority layer. This has always been the case for meshes, but it seems to be new for photoreal terrain.

And, since the US Cities Las Vegas developers didn't removed the airplanes from their photoreal background, they will show up, because the FSDT KLAS is designed to be used *together* with the photoreal background that comes with it, so it's partially transparent.

If you set the Texture resolution to 1mt/pixel, the sim will then use the photoreal background that comes with the FSDT KLAS, as long it has a higher priority in the Scenery Library.

The only solution from our side, would be creating a new photoreal background with at least 30 cm/px resolution, but in the meantime, setting the resolution to 1 meter should work.

Also, it might be best to remove the KLAS AFCAD from the Aerosoft scenery:

\Prepar3D v4\Ecosystem\aerosoft\USCitiesX-LasVegas\Scenery\AF2_KLAS.BGL

And this file from the FSDT installation folder:

\Addon Manager\FSdreamteam\KLAS\scenery\mesh_terrain.BGL
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:55:23 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 12:19:48 am »
We made a new photoreal background for KLAS at LOD17. It's not different than the existing one, but at least it won't be covered by other photoreal sceneries from other developers (with airplanes in...) when the texture resolution is set higher than 1mt/pixel.

As usual, it can be obtained by running the FSDT Live update.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:22:49 am by virtuali »

robains

• Beta tester
    • Rob Ainscough
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 12:45:27 am »
Thanks Umberto, I'll give it a try.

Just to clarify my situation, I don't have AS US Cities Las Vegas installed (never had it installed at any point).  PILOT's mesh, Orbx FTX Global, NorCal currently installed and FSDT KLAS.

Cheers, Rob.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 11:05:54 am »
I guess that, when you said you had this problem, of another photorealistic scenery shining through (which maybe you recognized because the airplanes, which we surely don't have in our scenery), that other scenery was made in a similar way so, just having a LOD higher than ours, allowed it to show, regardless of its priority.

I guess this is how the sim was designed to work: by assuming the scenery with the highest LOD "must" be the better one, but it's clearly not always the case, and it will cause issues for sceneries like KLAS, which were designed to work together with their own photoreal scenery and wouldn't look right with another one.

But this should be fixed now, until someone will came up with a LOD18 photoreal...