FSDreamTeam forum
January 18, 2018, 10:34:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Change the Gate Numbers on the Tarmac  (Read 178 times)
kmanning

« on: January 05, 2018, 04:13:27 AM »

Hi,

I recently tried to edit the parking spots for the gates in ADE but I wanted to wait until I can also change the gate number written on the tarmac, or pavement. First of all, are the numbers and letters, such as C32, ground polygons? If so, are the ground polys located in the FSDT sub-folders or are they FSX ground polys? I've tried searching for those GPs using a program called MCX and XnView MP, and I haven't been able to locate them. I've search the textures files and the mdl files.

The reason I want to edit them is because the gate numbers do not match the current ones. For example, C32 at Dallas is now gate C39. I can edit that in ADE but could someone explain how I should edit the one on the tarmac, of refer me to a tutorial or video that explains it how to edit ground polys. I know how to edit ground polys in ADE, but these are not GPs from ADE.

Ken.
sticky1202

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

I don't believe you can.

Jim
kmanning

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:00:02 AM »

I don't believe you can.

Hi,

Yes, they can be edited. After posting this, I've found and located the file I want to update. They appear to be ground polys that are mapped over the main texture. At first, I could not get the textures to load in MCX because I forgot to set the correct path for the textures. I'm not sure what program the developers here use to view these files but I use MCX. I want to update these ground polys so that when I do real world flights, the gate locations will be correct. Of course, it may take me awhile, depending on how many that's been changed since the release of FSDreamTeam KDFW.

Ken.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:18:09 AM by kmanning » Logged
virtuali
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:15:06 PM »

You cannot edit .MDL files with MCX, not in the way which would be required to change gate numbers on ground. You might be able to do so by exporting in a standard 3D file format, like .OBJ, import them in 3DS Max, edit them then exporting them again, using the SDK.

However, it would be a very big task, and you won't be able to redistribute those files, since they are obviously copyrighted.

Instead, it would be much better if you took the time to make a clear list of everything that has been changed, so WE might work at it, both scenery, AFCAD and GSX customization, which would be best for everyone.

kmanning

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 04:24:37 AM »

You cannot edit .MDL files with MCX, not in the way which would be required to change gate numbers on ground. You might be able to do so by exporting in a standard 3D file format, like .OBJ, import them in 3DS Max, edit them then exporting them again, using the SDK.

Well, they say I can edit ground polys using the ground poly wizard, but I'm not sure about that. But I can use it to make the placement after it has been edited. When you say 3D file format, are you referring to a 3D program, such as GMax? And which do I import into a 3D file format, the .mdl file containing the ground poly or the texture file showing the ground polys only? You also mentioned about exporting into a standard 3D file format, like .OBJ. I'm confused as to rather you mean an .OBJ file, or is it an object viewer program? You said to import them in 3DS Max. I do not have that program. I have GMax. Studio max cost thousands of dollars and most people could never afford that.

However, it would be a very big task, and you won't be able to redistribute those files, since they are obviously copyrighted.

Yes, it's a very big task and I'll probably just do the C section for now, since that's the one I use mostly. I don't plan to redistribute them.

I assume your team use 3DS Max to make the sceneries I've purchased, and really look great, but I use the G-Max version 1.2. Although I like to have the 3DS Max, I can't afford it. In the mean time, I just use G-Max or another 3D product called Schetchup. Although G-Max is better, the thing I like about Schetchup is that you can create your 3D models very fast, and is used by real engineers that design buildings. The problem is that if you draw too many good details in your model, it doesn't do well in MCX when you convert those files to bgl files. But if I plan to design airport sceneries for FSX and P3Ds, I really need to stick to a better 3D program, such as 3D max. But I'm still learning how to use it better.    

Instead, it would be much better if you took the time to make a clear list of everything that has been changed, so WE might work at it, both scenery, AFCAD and GSX customization, which would be best for everyone.

I'll be happy to. Let me go over the entire airport and make notes of all the changes and I'll get back to you.

Ken.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:02:38 AM by kmanning » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: