Author Topic: Coual.exe Error Window **SOLVED**  (Read 5933 times)

Fall_Guy

Coual.exe Error Window **SOLVED**
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:11:59 pm »
Hi, there

Today when I started P3Dv4.1 I was presented with an ERROR window relating to Coual.exe.

I quit P3D and downloaded and re-installed the Addon Manager from your site.  Now when I load P3d I'm Still getting the same ERROR window, however It appears to have de-activated ALL my FSDT airports and when I re-enter my Activation Serial nos. Nothing happens and the manager still displays ALL products in trial mode.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Regards

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:52:58 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Coual.exe Error Window
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 02:05:17 pm »
That looks like a file corruption caused by a defective antivirus.

- Download and install with the antivirus disabled.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder from scanning before starting the sim.

Fall_Guy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 03:03:32 pm »
Hi there,

Thanks for the response/help

I have no Anti virus software installed at present, other than Windows Defender.   So I have turned Defender OFF completely.

1)  UN-INSTALLED the current Addon Manager and ALL my FSDT airports and GSX.
2)  Then downloaded a NEW copy of the Addon Manager (P3D) and installed onto C: drive as default
3)  Started P3Dv4 and received the same ERROR message.
4)  checked Windows Defender is still turned OFF  (which it is/was)
5)  continued starting P3Dv4 to check if Addon Manager was listed in P3D pulldown addons menu.  (FSDT addon Manager is listed).

I am running Windows 10 (+ latest update) in 64bit.  Is there anything else I can try.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:48:54 pm »
Check if the digital signature of the Couatl.exe file is valid

- If it's not, you can be sure the problem it's either the antivirus corrupting it ( but we don't have any reports of Windows Defender doing this ), or you might have instead an *actual* virus that might have attached to it.

- If it's valid, you can be sure the executable it's not corrupted, so the problem must be something else. The error message seems to be related to the VC++ 2015 runtimes, as if you have a wrong version installed in your system.

Fall_Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 05:14:26 pm »
Thanks Umberto,

Sorry for being Dumb.  How do I check if the digital signature is Correct?

Also this problem only seems to have appeared since the windows 10 update.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:40:49 pm »
Sorry for being Dumb.  How do I check if the digital signature is Correct?

Right-click on it, and select the "Digital Signature" tab.

Also this problem only seems to have appeared since the windows 10 update.

That might be caused by not having the latest version of it, since we fixed a problem with the early Windows insider preview in November. And of course, the antivirus might also be the cause of preventing from getting the update, in addition to possibly corrupting it.

In addition of the digital signature, check also the file version (the "details" tab).

Fall_Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 11:42:40 am »
Hi, Umberto

Sorry Ive not come back earlier.  (have been Ill).

I've also checked ALL my windows system, and everything is up to date.

Anyhow attached is a picture of my digital signature and my Addon Manager folder for your attention.

Regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 01:00:06 pm »
Anyhow attached is a picture of my digital signature and my Addon Manager folder for your attention.

That's not a picture of the digital signature of the Addon Manager folder, since a folder cannot have a digital signature. And, it's for the Couatl_updater.exe program, which is just the updater, but the program which is likely corrupted (by your antivirus), it's the Couatl.exe, which is the only reason I can think of why it's giving you that "bad image" error.

So, check the digital signature for Couatl.exe, and the file version too ( in the "Details" tab )

Fall_Guy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 11:51:08 am »
Hi, Umberto,

I have done as you suggested.

1)  Disabled ALL of Windows Defender.  (no other anti-virus software installed)
2)  Allowed coulal.exe through my firewall.
3)  Completly removed/un-installed any trace of your Addon Manager.
4)  Downloaded a fresh/latest copy of your Addon Manager.
5)  Installed your Addon Manager version 4.0.0.8.
6)  Started up P3Dv4.1  flightsim
7)  Received ERROR message as shown below.
8)  Have also Attached a digital Signature of Coual.exe for your attention.

p.s   Have also removed P3d4.1 from system and re-installed it, with no other additional software but I am still receiving the same error message.  Is there anything else I can try,.... help you with.

Regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 01:46:41 pm »
The problem doesn't have anything to do with our software, searching google for this issue, shows it's a problem with your VC libraries which haven't been installed proper or are missing/corrupted.

See the same error happening to Office too, with some suggested solution on that thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/cwindowssystem32msvcp140dll-is-either-not-designed/ec634f7b-6268-41a5-a5e9-f1afa406bbf2?auth=1

Fall_Guy

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 05:04:01 pm »
I will in-install ALL my VC C++files and reinstall ALL latest versions.  However the error window clearly states:   coual.exe - Bad image,  and when I delete ALL your  Addon manager files and launch P3Dv4 I do NOT see the error window.  If I then re-install Addon Manager and start P3Dv4 ...... bang the Error window is back.

As I said I will remove and re-install my current VC ++ files,  but all my PC is up to date and there's very few programs on the system as it is a stand alone for Flight Sim ONLY.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 10:16:12 pm »
However the error window clearly states:   coual.exe - Bad image

It doesn't say just that.

It says "couatl.exe - Bad image c:\windows\system32\msvcp140.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error", the bad image the message is referring to is NOT Couatl.exe, it's msvcp140.dll instead", and the meaning of the error message is that the OS, when trying to load Couatl.exe, found that a system library named msvcp140.dll, which is required by it, has a problem, and notified you of this.

when I delete ALL your  Addon manager files and launch P3Dv4 I do NOT see the error window.  If I then re-install Addon Manager and start P3Dv4 ...... bang the Error window is back.

Simply because you don't have another addon that requires the SAME version of the VC++ runtime that, on YOUR system has a problem.

Fall_Guy

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 12:48:55 pm »
Hi there,

Have now removed/un-installed every Microsoft C++ redistributable, from my system and restarted.  Having then downloaded and re-installed manually the most current C++ files,  It appears that the conflicting file was indeed a C++ file.  In my case the following file was the culprit:

Microsoft visual C++ 2013 redistributable (86)

Anyhow the Addon manager has now installed correctly and I'm now able to use my FSDT products.

Many Thanks  Umberto