Author Topic: No AAL heavy gates?  (Read 3407 times)

KAWAUS

No AAL heavy gates?
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:50:57 am »
Hi guys, noticed that there is no heavy gates for AAL terminals and GSX says there is only 2 in the whole airport.... surly this is not correct. I also have the latest everything downloaded and installed.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No AAL heavy gates?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 02:34:57 pm »
there is no heavy gates for AAL terminals

If you mean you don't see them flagged as "Heavy" in the default Go To Airport menu, this is not an issue, since that label it's just a label, the only thing that counts it's the parking radius.

GSX says there is only 2 in the whole airport.... surly this is not correct.

There are only 2 heavy gates at KCLT ( + 2 large cargo parking spots ), and this is correct.

If you look the terminal, it should be obvious that only the two correctly reported by GSX as being large enough for an heavy airplane, D11 and D12, are the only ones that could really fit an heavy airplane.

stoneman101

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 01:27:04 am »
I thought the same until I was on this flight from KPHX.   It was the same day that KATL shut down due to a power outage, surprisingly B9 is a heavy gate, seems they use it alot!   It was a tight fit for the a330-300 but it slid in there, even the cabin crew was surprised!  I looked at the center line and it could hold 330-300, 777-200, 78-9, 78-8 and a 330-200.  Heavy gates that are used D3, D7, D11, and D12 Cheers!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL743/history/20171217/1635Z/KPHX/KCLT
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:31:02 am by stoneman101 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 03:35:06 pm »
Heavy gates that are used D3, D7, D11, and D12

Of course in real life they can but, when this happens (not a normal procedure), the gate use the alternate stopping position, which is indicated with a yellow dashed line, but this requires that NO planes must use one or both nearby parkings so, when the alternate position is in use, Ground Control must coordinate and ensure nobody would use the nearby parking.

Take D3 for example, in order to park an heavy airplane using the *alternate* (dashed) position, which would result in the plane better fitting the parking, it's clear that D5 must be empty, since the dashed line runs between the normal D3 and D5 positions.

This is what happens in real life. The sim doesn't support alternate parking positions for the same parking and if we just made two different parkings, to the sim they would just look as overlapping parkings, causing troubles to both AI and jetways. Default ATC, of course, wouldn't be able to deal with this too.

So, the only heavy parking we could add, were those that can always used under any conditions, using their standard positions.