Author Topic: Problem With Updating the Main Airport File  (Read 2959 times)

kmanning

Problem With Updating the Main Airport File
« on: December 29, 2017, 02:36:00 am »
Hi Umberto,
First off all, thanks for pointing out the issues of assigning keys in other addons and how these can effect GSX key assignments.

I have a question regarding an issue that came up with regard to making changes to the main airport file AP_KDFW.BGL. The product is the FSDT Dallas Airport Scenery. The reason I wanted, and actually need to make these changes is because some of the gates do not represent the correct gate number nor it's gate location. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this product is about 6 or maybe 7 years old, and I'm sure you'll agree that there have been some changes made at Dallas since around 2010.

The other night, I made a flight from Atlanta Hartsfield to Dallas Fortworth International. I used a real world flight and my gate was to be C33. As I was taxiing to the gate, I loaded the GSX so that the marshaller, or the Safedock Guidance would be ready when I arrive at the gate. Well, there was no gate C33 listed in GSX, and since GSX reads the bgl file, I knew it had to be out of date and do not represent the airport as it stands today. So, I just parked at gate C32.

I opened the bgl file and sure enough, it's not up-to-date. But while I was in the simulator in the SPOT view, I happened to noticed that C32 is painted, or written on the pavement. So, even if I changed the gate number, which is now C39 and not C32, I have a feeling that this will not change what's written on the pavement because I assume that would be a texture file, and these would have to be changed as well. Am I correct?

Anyway, here's what happened after I changed that gate number to C39 in the main airport bgl file and compiled it. By the way, I compiled it with the same original name AP_KDFW.BGL. After loading the simulator at the same location, there was no terminal, or anything practically. It looked as though it was wiped out. I happened to noticed in the couatl manager, I think it's called, said that the product is installed but is not in the scenery library. I check that and it was in the scenery library. I went ahead and deleted it and added it back to the scenery library but it made no difference. I can't see how changing that in the airport bgl file would have done this, and I've done this many times with other addons. So, I just re-installed it. During the installation, I got this message and here's what it said:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml Error on line1, position 46:
Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported.
This error mean the file has been saved with an encoding that doesn't match the XML header and it's usually caused by 3rd party installers with bugs.
It should be fixed by opening it with an editor like the free Notepad++, and save it back into ANSI format.

I opened this file and the encode was set to UTF-8-BOM. But it says above it should be in ANSI format, and I haven' made any changes to this file. I haven't made any changes in this xml file yet and wanted to wait until I hear from you first before I set it to ANSI format. It does say that it's usually caused by 3rd party installations with bugs, so maybe making that change in the airport file had anything to do with this issue. But it's strange why just changing that gate number in the main airport file using ADE and compiling it would wipe out the scenery in FSX. I may just wait until I hear from you first before I make any changes in the airport file. Will y'all be making these updates via the Live FSDT Update? If so, I may just wait.

Ken.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:56:39 am by kmanning »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem With Updating the Main Airport File
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:48:32 pm »
So, even if I changed the gate number, which is now C39 and not C32, I have a feeling that this will not change what's written on the pavement because I assume that would be a texture file, and these would have to be changed as well. Am I correct?

Exactly.

I can't see how changing that in the airport bgl file would have done this, and I've done this many times with other addons. So, I just re-installed it.

Just recompiling the .BGL cannot have caused this. But the corrupted XML file can, because the modules that are required for the scenery to work won't be loaded from a corrupted XML.

However, just  recompiling the .BGL cannot corrupt the XML, so it was something else, most likely another addon you installed in the mean time (since the last time you installed GSX)

I opened this file and the encode was set to UTF-8-BOM. But it says above it should be in ANSI format, and I haven' made any changes to this file.

You haven't,, but another addon surely did that, and it created an illegal XML, because it hasn't also updated the XML header to match the new encoding.-

I haven't made any changes in this xml file yet and wanted to wait until I hear from you first before I set it to ANSI format It does say that it's usually caused by 3rd party installations with bugs

The message told you exactly what you had to do to fix the XML file. Save it back into ANSI format.

so maybe making that change in the airport file had anything to do with this issue.

It's not possible that changing a .BGL would have an effect on the XML files. Unless, in order to do that, you installed an AFCAD editor that did change the XML files.