Author Topic: Memphis scenery  (Read 3964 times)

unc1rlm

Memphis scenery
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:33:03 pm »
I just bought Memphis and Louisville yesterday and I can't get over why everything looks washed out....runways not crisp and nice and grass half growing in areas. Are my settings wrong or what. I own probably 8-10 of your airports and they are high quality but not sure what is going on with Memphis scenery?

https://i.imgur.com/FEzW3Rc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/N6jLnZK.jpg

Thanks,
Bob M.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:19:57 pm by unc1rlm »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Memphis looks like a "sh..house"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:08:54 am »
Are you using 4K textures in the settings ?

unc1rlm

Re: Memphis scenery
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:42:08 pm »
No, I just used the installer. Using an RX 580 with i7-7700k and 16gb memory. Louisville is stunning. Haven't touched any settings regarding Memphis. Also as a sidenote, I am having trouble with UTLive having planes at Louisville and Memphis. Haven't tried JFK lately. (your FSDreamteam JFK). Maybe I better check Charlotte too..lol. Charlotte looks great scenery wise.  I reinstalled and this is the latest shot..... Horrible.

https://i.imgur.com/s3btKUj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eql8an8.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Umberto,
Bob M.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:19:08 pm by unc1rlm »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Memphis looks like a "sh..house"
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:52:43 pm »
No, I just used the installer.

The installer won't set the graphic resolution for you. So, are you using 4K resolution or not ? If not, you are not seeing the scenery at the same resolution it was designed for.

Louisville is stunning.

Because it was intentionally made with lower res textures (2K I think), so users that forget to set 4K textures in the settings won't see TOO much difference, even if they are at 1K.

Haven't touched any settings regarding Memphis.

There aren't any settings you can touch in KMEM in relationship to the texture resolution, it's just the standard graphic options. And, of course, the usage of Anisotropic filtering, which should be enabled in the graphic cards.

Also as a sidenote, I am having trouble with UTLive having planes at Louisville and Memphis.

They all have proper airline codes and, of course, since the majority of them are Cargo, is that product coming with actual schedules for Cargo airlines ?

Maybe I better check Charlotte too..lol. Charlotte looks great scenery wise.  I reinstalled and this is the latest shot..... Horrible.

As explained several times on the forum, the actual overall visual quality of a scenery that use (for example), four 4K texture for the ground, or sixteen 2K textures or sixty-four 1K textures it's exactly the SAME, and the amount of memory is exactly the same. However, the scenery using less 4K textures will run FASTER, since the less change of textures, the better the fps is.

So, KMEM (at the same quality) should perform better. Or perform similar, being a larger airport.

HOWEVER, since most user just forget to set 4K textures, don't read the KMEM manual that says this at page 9:

IMPORTANT - On the Addon Manager menu, be sure you have the “Force HD Textures” option ENABLED! This is very important in order to enjoy the scenery at its full quality, since it enables the usage of 4096x4096 texture resolution, which is how most of the textures in the scenery were designed for.

We went down to using many more 2K textures for KCLT and KSDF so, at the cost of a bit less efficiency, we don't get such comments about the supposed blurriness of the scenery, which of course is not there, when used at the suggested settings.

Note that, if you use FSX:SE or Prepar3D, the “Force HD Textures” option in the Addon Manager is not used anymore, since the normal UI of the sim already allows to select 4K resolution without any non-standard hacks, like in earlier FSX.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:54:32 pm by virtuali »

unc1rlm

Re: Memphis scenery
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:05 pm »
Thanks Umberto,
Bob M.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:20:54 pm by unc1rlm »