Author Topic: Install issues (probably file location) **SOLVED**  (Read 5794 times)

frantzy

Install issues (probably file location) **SOLVED**
« on: December 10, 2017, 07:56:59 pm »
I've owned various FSDT sceneries for FS9 and FSX but after some suspected issues ended up uninstalling them.  Hearing great things about Louisville, I purchased and installed.  However, the airport disappeared on final approach - no default or FSDT airport appears, just a bunch of airplanes sitting in the dirt.  

Addon Manager is in the menu but Couatl is not.  In Addon Manager the scenery appears installed and activated; in fact it is impossible to deactivate.

I tried reinstalling but I think the issues are installation folder.   On my system FSX has always been at D:\FSX but the FSDT files are being installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager.

Does that seem like the issue, and if so, how can I fix? I've read the manuals and FAQs but haven't seen this particular scenario.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:50:09 pm by frantzy »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Install issues (probably file location)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:56:35 am »
Addon Manager is in the menu but Couatl is not. 

That's your problem. If Couatl is not running, nothing will ever work. The most common reason for it not starting, is your antivirus that has blocked it because of a bug (false positive).

- Reinstall with the antivirus disabled.

- BEFORE starting the sim, configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder from scanning.

frantzy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »

- Reinstall with the antivirus disabled.

- BEFORE starting the sim, configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder from scanning.

I did those things.   I will redo them just to be sure.

Can you confirm whether this file structure is wrong?  It seems like many or all of these files and folders need to be in my FSX folders.

D:\FSX is where my sim is located.   No FSDreamteam folders are there however.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager contains
\couatl
\Effects
\Fsdreamteam
\Simobjects

Thanks,
Mike

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 02:47:12 pm »
Can you confirm whether this file structure is wrong?

It's correct.

It seems like many or all of these files and folders need to be in my FSX folders.

No, they don't. We don't install into the FSX folder anymore, which of course it's a great advantage, and a feature that has been asked by users for years, since you can install the scenery in a different place than the sim, even on a different drive.

D:\FSX is where my sim is located.   No FSDreamteam folders are there however.

Which is entirely normal.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager contains
\couatl
\Effects
\Fsdreamteam
\Simobjects

That's what is supposed to contain. The installer doesn't mistakenly install things in the wrong folders. Please don't assume the installer has a problem or that it installs stuff where is not supposed to.

If the software is not running, the most likely causes are:

- The antivirus

OR

- Missing system libraries in your Windows install, or conflicts caused by other products installed, even non flight-sim related.

If you are SURE you have fixed any possible antivirus interference, we can investigate the missing system libraries issues then.

frantzy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 04:50:50 am »
OK - I reinstalled with Windows Defender (my only AV) off, and have the Addon Manager folder on the excluded folder list.

Couatl menu is present EXCEPT when I choose KSDF airport as my starting point.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »
Couatl menu is present

Which confirms the antivirus was the issue, as I suspected.

EXCEPT when I choose KSDF airport as my starting point.

Have you installed GSX too ? KSDF won't work without it, like any other FSDT scenery that uses SODE jetways (KIAH, KLAS and KMEM)

frantzy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:49:32 pm »
Have you installed GSX too ? KSDF won't work without it, like any other FSDT scenery that uses SODE jetways (KIAH, KLAS and KMEM)

You've solved it.   I had GSX before, then uninstalled, but hadn't yet reinstalled.

Thanks for your help & please mark this SOLVED  ;D

Mike