Author Topic: Floating Runway Markings  (Read 5481 times)

John Burgess

Floating Runway Markings
« on: December 02, 2017, 01:53:50 pm »
At KSDF I am finding that the runway markings appear to float a short distance above the ground - yellow taxiway markings are unaffected on the runway.
I attach a screenshot at the threshold of 17R where duplicate markings are present, with one set floating above the runway.
I have made sure that I have no other scenery apart from the default installed for the airport (orbx, mytraffic etc) and am as certain as I can be that I have disabled any addon meshes (I use Pilots FSGlobal).
Is anyone else seeing this and does anyone have a clue as to a solution?
I should also mention that the area of grass and the concrete with the blue lights are also at the level of the floating markings.
Great scenery despite this!

All the best,

John
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:58:16 pm by John Burgess »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Floating Runway Markings
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:24:57 am »
Whenever you have double runways (or double objects), it's never a problem of the scenery you want to use, and it's always a problem caused by the AFCAD of another scenery in conflict.

This utility can be useful to find duplicates files for any airport:

http://www.scruffyduck.org/simple-airport-scanner/4584282795

John Burgess

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 09:44:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Umberto but, honestly, I'm as sure as I can be that there are no other Afcads involved.
I usually check for duplicate afcads by using Scenery Configuration Editor to expand local paths and put the resulting scenery.cfg from P3Dv4 into FSX and use AFX to check which afcads are active.
I tried a similar trick using the simple-airport-scanner (which only officially seems to work up to P3Dv3) with the same result.
As far as I can tell I'm seeing the default markings with the FSDT markings at a higher elevation.
I've no doubt it's something on my system - just running out of ideas what it might be!
Again, thanks for the help.
I'm away for the rest of the week then will try and find time to look at this again.

Thanks for your wonderful scenery.

All the best,

John

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:14:35 am »
I tried a similar trick using the simple-airport-scanner (which only officially seems to work up to P3Dv3) with the same result.

That might be the issue: the conflicting scenery might have been installed using the new add-on.xml method, so the airport scanner might not see it.

I'm quite sure it's either My Traffic or something from OrbX, since they are the most common source of conflicts (their AFCADs are only supposed to be used in replacement of the default scenery)

John Burgess

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:27:53 pm »
Thanks again for the reply.
I'm away from home for a couple of days so will look at this again when I get home.
I do keep a close check of what's installed by the addon.xml method and am pretty sure no scenery is there that I don't know about.
I'll check the scenery.cfg file which is produced when running Pete Dowson's Makerwys when I get back just to make sure - that should includes anything added via the addon.xml method.
I'm sure I've checked all the potential ORBX conflicts but will make sure I double check that too.
Again I'm sure I disabled any MyTraffic files but will check.

Many thanks for the help,

John

Darien153

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:06:26 am »
I have this same issue as well. I made sure to disable orbx to make sure it wasn't that. I can't think of any other add-on(s) that would honestly interfere with KSDF

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:25 am »

Darien153

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 09:17:21 pm »
I've tried and the floating marks and other details still float.

John Burgess

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »
Glad I'm not alone!

Using Umberto's suggestion at least seems to have put everything at the same level but I still get duplicate markings and, honestly, I am quite good at finding duplicate afcads!

I can usually figure out what's going on but this one has me beaten.

If I find the cause it will. of course, be obvious.

All the best,

John
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:04:16 pm by John Burgess »

John Burgess

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 09:27:53 pm »
Oops, sorry.
Too quick on the testing.
Changing the 'No shadow flagged content' doesn't change things.

Still scratching my head.

All the best,

John