Author Topic: Malfunctioning Ground Textures at FSDT JFK V2 in FSX  (Read 6263 times)

domjscott

Malfunctioning Ground Textures at FSDT JFK V2 in FSX
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:14:18 am »
I have recently purchased and downloaded the FSDT JFK V2 software for use in FSX. After installation, I decided to try it out and register the serial in addon manager. After doing this, I noticed that the ground textures looked like a google map image and that the ground textures advertised in the images on the simmarket website, were either not working or non existent. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling FSDT JFK program, to no avail. I saw another forum regarding the same issue on the FSDT website, which suggested I ensure that my scenery library had no other JFK sceneries within, which it didn't; that if the reinstalling of the FSDT JFK did not work, I uninstall FSX; that I remove all files from %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX and %Programdata%\Microsoft\FSX as well as the main FSX folder; before reinstalling FSX. After refreshing my entire PC, reinstalling FSX and reinstalling FSDT JFK, there is still no change, whatsoever to the malfunctioning textures. Any help, fix or solution would be greatly appreciated!

My Specs are:
-Intel Core i3; 2.50 GHz Processor
-4GB RAM
-x64 Operating System

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Malfunctioning Ground Textures at FSDT JFK V2 in FSX
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:12:10 pm »
Be sure you set the texture resolution at 4096x4096 in the Addon Manager.

domjscott

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:19:43 am »
It is, I see, in 4096x4096 quality...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 11:29:18 am »
If you are already at 4K resolution, that's how the scenery is supposed to look like.

You must understand that JFK has been designed in 2008 and was last updated in 2013, but it wasn't redesigned from scratch (the textures use the same resolution of the original one), so we used very conservative graphic settings, because at that time, no computer was ever able to run JFK in the already dense N.Y. area without crashing for memory exhaustion or an otherwise unusable frame rate so, even if your settings are correct, you cannot expect the same quality of a scenery released today.

domjscott

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 11:09:50 am »
But, the runway, too does not look like the one advertised...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:49:00 pm »
But, the runway, too does not look like the one advertised...

That doesn't have anything to do with the airport, and instead it's a problem of your video card settings. You are not using Anisotropic filtering, and your image quality is very bad, even OUTSIDE the airport.

Enable Antisotropic filtering at 16x, using the Video card Control Panel options.

domjscott

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:01:01 pm »
Will give it a go. Thanks.

domjscott

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 06:42:30 am »
What you suggested did, in fact help somewhat, however the ground textures still look like a low res photo... Surely, it isn't supposed to look like this? When I look at the photos of the airport advertised by FSDT, I can see a world of difference.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 01:22:40 pm »
What you suggested did, in fact help somewhat, however the ground textures still look like a low res photo...

You are confusing two issues:

- The low resolution runway when seen at a very slant angle, was caused by the lack of Anisotropic filtering, and I'm sure this is now fixed, if you enabled it correctly.

- The low resolution of the textures when seen top-down, which is caused by not having enabled 4K textures.

If you are *sure* you have both Anisotropic filtering AND 4K textures enabled, then that's how the scenery has been made, and it's not possible you would see any difference compared to the screenshot posted on our site.

Also, I see artifacts, which are caused by having set a Mesh resolution too high, which is totally useless, since there aren't any mesh available with a real resolution higher than 5 meters/pixel, so it's useless and a waste of memory to set it any higher in the sim AND it will cause such artifacts.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:24:22 pm by virtuali »

domjscott

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:35:04 am »
Yeah, I have definitely enabled Anisotropic Filtering in my video card control panel, and this has actually fixed the blurriness with most of my other payware addon airports, for which I thank you. I will see if 4K textures are enabled, but will, otherwise leave it at that.