Author Topic: Runway lights are too dim at night...  (Read 10935 times)

Dillon

Runway lights are too dim at night...
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:18:16 am »
I flew to FSDT's Vegas tonight only to find I could not see the runway lights on approach.  It wasn't until I was almost over the threshold that the runway lights brightened up.  The rest of the airport is very dark from a distance which doesn't seem right...  ???

Aeroman

• "Did we land or were we shot down?!?"
    • American Virtual Airlines
Re: Runway lights are too dim at night...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:36:34 am »
Sry, that was just me down there messing with the brightness dial... ::)  It won't happen again! :P
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Hub
American Virtual Airlines
"We know why you fly"

Dillon

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:14:22 pm »
Sry, that was just me down there messing with the brightness dial... ::)  It won't happen again! :P

Is there anyone else seeing this runway/taxiway brightness issue on approach to 19R at night?  I know this may seem funny but I'm seriously wondering is this just me or not...  :-\

01pewterz28

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:14:23 pm »
Good thing for the ILS :) Yea hard to see the landing lights at night.

B777ER

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:48:24 pm »

Is there anyone else seeing this runway/taxiway brightness issue on approach to 19R at night?  I know this may seem funny but I'm seriously wondering is this just me or not...  :-\

Dillon, there is no ILS for the 19's at Vegas...hence the dim lights your seeing. ILS and the associated ILS lighting equipment. The 19's have RNAV appoaches. What is interesting is that the RNAV 19R approach brings you in a an angle to avoid the strip..flew it last night. The lighting is fine. The runways with ILS at Vegas are the 25's and 1L only.
Eric

Dillon

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:39:27 pm »

Dillon, there is no ILS for the 19's at Vegas...hence the dim lights your seeing. ILS and the associated ILS lighting equipment. The 19's have RNAV approaches. What is interesting is that the RNAV 19R approach brings you in a an angle to avoid the strip..flew it last night. The lighting is fine. The runways with ILS at Vegas are the 25's and 1L only.

Can others confirm this???  Based on what your saying 19R shouldn't even get used at night since the lighting for that runway isn't setup to properly accept traffic.  That's hard to believe, others who live in the area will have to chime in concerning night approaches.  The GA airport I fly out of in real life has a better lite runway at night than FSDT's 19R/L runways and my airport doesn't have ILS equiped runways.  I'm finding it hard to accept this as fact but you may be correct...

B777ER

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 11:49:45 pm »
Dillion, they use the 19's at night quite often. Remember, this is Vegas, VFR conditions are the norm out there. You don't need all those PAPI lights to land on a runway at night. The center line lights with the two strobe lights that flash at the end of the runway (one on each side) is quite normal.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:53:13 am »
Can others confirm this???The GA airport I fly out of in real life has a better lite runway at night than FSDT's 19R/L runways and my airport doesn't have ILS equiped runways.  I'm finding it hard to accept this as fact but you may be correct...

Unfortunately it's not indicated on the FAA charts we provide with the scenery but, on the Jeppesen charts those runways are listed with medium intensity lights, while the ILS-equipped ones have high intensity lights.

We don't use any custom runway lights so, what you get for high intensity, and what you get for mid intensity, is just what flight sim provides.

Dillon

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 07:50:46 am »
Thanks Virtuali for the explanation for the runway lighting.  After a few more night landings I can live with the dimmer runway lighting.  It just threw me off guard at first.  There is a legitimate problem I'm seeing with the green taxi lights.  The taxiway lights seem to be green fire balls that look like hovering bulbs versus lights that sit in the ground.  Are you guys seeing this at all on your end?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:22:20 pm by Dillon »

01pewterz28

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 01:27:32 pm »
Thanks Virtuali for the explanation for the runway lighting.  After a few more night landings I can live with the dimmer runway lighting.  It just threw me off guard at first.  The is a legitimate problem I'm seeing with the green taxi lights.  The seem to be green fire balls that look like hovering bulbs versus lights that sit in the ground.  Are you guys seeing this at all on your end?

Well you know Area 51 is only a few miles north of your location  ;D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 01:41:21 pm »
It just threw me off guard at first.  The is a legitimate problem I'm seeing with the green taxi lights. 

We already made a modification to them, here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1734.0