Author Topic: P3DV4.1 Crash **SOLVED - caused by AI**  (Read 13830 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager/CLT or GSX Causes P3DV4.1 Crash
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 01:43:43 pm »
CTD about 5 nautical miles away from KCLT.

Can you provide with a bit more accurate location ? The loading range for KCLT is 10 NM so, if the problem was the airport, the should have happened at 10 NM out but, if you can provide with coordinates, I can test it here.

randomravings

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 01:13:46 pm »
CTD about 5 nautical miles away from KCLT.

Can you provide with a bit more accurate location ? The loading range for KCLT is 10 NM so, if the problem was the airport, the should have happened at 10 NM out but, if you can provide with coordinates, I can test it here.

Hi Umberto. I tried to get coordinates by doing another flight into KCLT but I disabled FTX Vector and Orbx North America LC to make sure they weren't the cause, and this time I got the CTD a lot closer to the airport ... on final approach just a couple of nautical miles away from landing. So the CTD doesn't happen at a fixed distance. But one thing I noticed is that I get a lot of microstutters the closer I get to the airport, so I'm thinking it has something to do with that? Almost like an OOM - but of course that shouldn't happen in P3Dv4. Any ideas?
I should also say that I'm able to start a flight from KCLT but in that case the CTD happens during the climb away from the airport. This is proving really hard to pinpoint. Thanks for your help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 10:50:10 am »
But one thing I noticed is that I get a lot of microstutters the closer I get to the airport, so I'm thinking it has something to do with that? Almost like an OOM - but of course that shouldn't happen in P3Dv4. Any ideas?

There shouldn't be any microstutters and surely not an OOM with KCLT, surely not under P3D4, because we basically load the whole airport at 10NM so, your are supposed to see only a somewhat large pause at 10 NM, then nothing.

Of course, I'm assuming you haven't touched the anti pop-up slider in the Addon Manager, which by default is set at its maximum under P3D4. If it's not, the program will start to create/destroy objects more often (depending how low it is), which could introduce some stuttering, even if the fps might be a bit better, depending on the system.

this time I got the CTD a lot closer to the airport ... on final approach just a couple of nautical miles away from landing. So the CTD doesn't happen at a fixed distance.

This seems to further confirm the airport is not the problem. If it was, it should happen always at the same spot, since the airport is static. If the crash appears in different places, it might possibly related to an AI, especially one which was originally made for FS9, which are known to cause CTDs in P3D4.

Testing with 0% Traffic might be useful to verify this.

randomravings

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 01:14:11 pm »
There shouldn't be any microstutters and surely not an OOM with KCLT, surely not under P3D4, because we basically load the whole airport at 10NM so, your are supposed to see only a somewhat large pause at 10 NM, then nothing.
Of course, I'm assuming you haven't touched the anti pop-up slider in the Addon Manager, which by default is set at its maximum under P3D4. If it's not, the program will start to create/destroy objects more often (depending how low it is), which could introduce some stuttering, even if the fps might be a bit better, depending on the system.

Yes, the anti pop-up slider is set to default / maximum.

This seems to further confirm the airport is not the problem. If it was, it should happen always at the same spot, since the airport is static. If the crash appears in different places, it might possibly related to an AI, especially one which was originally made for FS9, which are known to cause CTDs in P3D4.
Testing with 0% Traffic might be useful to verify this.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I managed to complete a flight, landing at KCLT, with traffic set to 0. I then did a bit more research in forums and found that my AI (MyTraffic 6) does have some AI aircraft from FS9 that can cause CTDs. Given that I don't normally get CTDs, they must be aircraft that are common around KCLT. So I deleted those aircraft and was able to complete a second flight with my AI at 10 per cent. Hooray!
Thank you for all your help in getting to the bottom of this problem Umberto. It's much appreciated! And now I can appreciate your wonderful KCLT scenery properly. :)