Author Topic: White Lines at Night  (Read 5720 times)

B777ER

White Lines at Night
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:01:36 pm »
Using the PMDG NGX, when turning on either the landing lights or taxi light at night I see these horrible looking white lines all over the ground. They seem to be where the seems are for the concrete textures but am not sure. It does not look good at all and in fact looks like graphical anomalies. I don't see this effect at any other payware scenery from other developers.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: White Lines at Night
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 08:57:01 am »
I don't see this effect at any other payware scenery from other developers.

That's because not many use fully customized runway lights, 99% of them use the default lights from the AFCAD.

The issue is caused by mip-mapping and not enough texture resolution so, you should first be sure you run the sim at 4K texture resolution and use 16x Anisotropic filtering.

Er!k

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:27:23 pm »
Hi Umberto, I have the same. I have set-up my P3Dv4 to MSAA, because P3Dv4 and SSAA is causing huge FPS issues at night. Any advice?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:34:26 am »
I haven't said anything about antialiasing, which doesn't have any relationship with this issue. It's the 16x ANISOTROPIC filtering you should use, either from the sim, or from the Video card Control Panel, sometimes in both places.

Er!k

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:49:16 pm »
Sorry had to be more specific. These are my current settings:

https://s26.postimg.org/fgt7qttzt/Naamloos.png

The white lines only disappear when changing to Super Sampling (SSAA 8x); and this has a negative impact on performance with dynamic lighting.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:14:29 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:16:04 pm »
The white lines only disappear when changing to Super Sampling (SSAA 8x); and this has a negative impact on performance with dynamic lighting.

This is strange, since the problem is related to mip-mapping, and mip-mapping shouldn't be related to antialiasing. But, if it works, at least it's proving the scenery is ok at least.

We can only try to report this to LM, maybe it's a rendering bug.

Er!k

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 06:40:30 am »
If you would do that please! If you need additional info please ask!

B777ER

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 07:52:35 pm »
I don't see this effect at any other payware scenery from other developers.

That's because not many use fully customized runway lights, 99% of them use the default lights from the AFCAD.

The issue is caused by mip-mapping and not enough texture resolution so, you should first be sure you run the sim at 4K texture resolution and use 16x Anisotropic filtering.

Sorry, been away for a while. I already run at 16x AF and run at 2048x2048 as I want to get some frames back over what 4096 will surely cost me. So you're saying a user does not run at 4096 they will have this terrible mop mapping issue with your scenery? Why is it Fly Tampa and Flightbeam don't have this issue with their stuff? And Flightbeam does have native P3Dv4 scenery.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:27:12 am »
So you're saying a user does not run at 4096 they will have this terrible mop mapping issue with your scenery? Why is it Fly Tampa and Flightbeam don't have this issue with their stuff?

As I've said in my previous reply, it won't affect a scenery, unless is using custom runway lights, which we use because they don't align well with the 3d object that makes up the light, and to have better control of the colors.