Author Topic: KSDF - some findings  (Read 3779 times)

Bert Groner

KSDF - some findings
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:17:17 pm »
Hello FSDT!

Congratulations to your new designer Massimilliano Addante and his KSDF...

Some findings please:

1. The localizer antennas seems to be to big and thick. Can they be changed with more "real/filigree" ones?

2. The only thing I really miss with P3D v4.1 are ALS in 3D as usually provided by FSDT. Any chance to get them or is this a failure of my SODE installation?

3. Please have a look at the night shots: If I understand right in P3D v4.x AI planes are lighted by the shine of the surrounding flood light poles. Here the AI's are quite dark - but reflecting correctly while beamed up from another plane.

http://www.fsmagazin.de/download/FSDTKSDFatNight.jpg

4. There is a terrain step at the terminal using FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation as the mesh provider and Orbx' FTX Global and Vector having it's ACE run before using KSDF.

http://www.fsmagazin.de/download/FSDTKSDFTerrainStep.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Bert
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:49:57 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KSDF - some findings
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:41 am »
1. The localizer antennas seems to be to big and thick. Can they be changed with more "real/filigree" ones?

We'll check this.

2. The only thing I really miss with P3D v4.1 are ALS in 3D as usually provided by FSDT. Any chance to get them or is this a failure of my SODE installation?

Not sure about your reference to SODE. We use it for animating jetways only.

3. Please have a look at the night shots: If I understand right in P3D v4.x AI planes are lighted by the shine of the surrounding flood light poles. Here the AI's are quite dark - but reflecting correctly while beamed up from another plane.

Dynamic lights can destroy the fps at the airport, and normally, scenery developers don't have any control over it, so they can only just eat the fps loss.

However, we have a far more flexible system, thanks to our scripting engine so, we have a routine that checks the user airplane position very precisely, not just a simple radius, but an actual polygonal area, so we can fine tune exactly how many dynamic lights to display at any given time so, instead of showing 30-40 lights all at once, we only have 5-6 of them, usually the same "row" the USER airplane is located.

This means the lighted AIs will be the ones parked on the same side of the terminal as your airplane is, because we turned on only those lights, so we can still have dynamic lights, without the associated fps loss.

4. There is a terrain step at the terminal using FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation as the mesh provider and Orbx' FTX Global and Vector having it's ACE run before using KSDF.

I'm sorry but, we cannot fix or foresee every possible damage 3rd party meshes will do to a scenery.

That seems to be as if your mesh resolution setting is too high, try to use a value not any higher than the REAL mesh resolution so, usually, 5 or 10 meters/pixel should be more than enough, since there are no mesh available with a *real* (not oversampled) resolution higher than that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:30:35 am by virtuali »

Bert Groner

Re: KSDF - some findings
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:12:29 pm »
Thanks Umberto!

Learned a lot about the lighting in P3D v4.

What about the missing 3D ALS light poles? A possible update?

Best for now!

Bert