Author Topic: Missing Pavement Markings Taxi and Runways  (Read 4705 times)

downscc

Missing Pavement Markings Taxi and Runways
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:38:19 am »
My KLAS has been working just fine as recently as yesterday.  Today I somehow uninstalled something when removing Flightbeam KDEN although I thought I clicked do not remove addon manager. I downloaded a fresh copy of the standalone addon manager and let it run and update everything.  I Then lost the pavement markings at KLAS.  I double checked with Orbx that I had all the compatibility recommendations correct and that KLAS is properly excluded in Vector AEC.  There's no apparent elevation issue, everything looks normal except the missing pavement markings. I am posting here because I am out of ideas.  Any suggestions?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Missing Pavement Markings Taxi and Runways
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:36:29 am »
If you lost ONLY the pavement markings, but everything else works, the most likely explanation is an elevation conflict, likely caused by something made by OrbX.

If you had issues with our software running, the whole scenery would disappear, not just the markings. I assume you are using the current version of KLAS too, the one we released not long ago, with the new terminal.

downscc

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:23:28 pm »
Thanks Umberto, I figured elevation confict too which is why I verifed the compatibility with Orbx. Affirmative I had the new terminal and 26/8 runway designators the day before I removed KDEN. The problem started after I had to reinstall from a fresh download the standalone addon manager.  I resolved this by running the Updater, which is unexpected because I assumed downloading the current addon manager installer would do the same as the updater.  Wrong in this case.  I did notice when the pavement markings were missing that the runways had the old designators (25/7), but I assumed the new terminal was there but it was dark and it might have been gone. My premise is that running the addon manager installer reset the KLAS files to an older version.  Running Update corrected that.

I was surprised that I had to reinstall the addon manager because when I uninstalled KDEN I intended to say NO to the do you want to remove addon manager question.  Guess I messed up there.

All is back to working and normal now.

Dan Downs KCRP

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 12:19:12 am »
I resolved this by running the Updater, which is unexpected because I assumed downloading the current addon manager installer would do the same as the updater.  Wrong in this case.  

Yes, installing the Addon Manager will run the FSDT Live Update (you surely must have noticed it did), exactly as if you would run the update manually. Its starting the same, identical, updater.

So no, it's not normally possible that installing the Addon Manager would give you a different result than running the updater. However, we have learned that 3rd party software, usually the antivirus or a firewall, can make the impossible to happen.

For example, and antivirus/firewall might have blocked the updater when it was started by the Addon Manager, mistakenly flagging it as a dangerous operation, but might have allowed it, when it was started by you personally.

That's the only possible explanation, since the updater is clearly the same program (the Couatl_Updater.exe in the Addon Manager folder) so, it shouldn't give different results unless, of course, something else is interfering.

downscc

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:58:11 pm »
It is interesting to note that I just saw another post in a different forum where the OP found that the Updater had to be run after running the standalone addon manager installer. I don't think my windows defender or firewall is a factor in this, maybe you could look a little closer? Regardless, the solution is an easy one: Always run the updater after running any FSDT installer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:24:37 am »
Regardless, the solution is an easy one: Always run the updater after running any FSDT installer.

That's exactly what the installer does. It runs the same updater you would have launched manually.

There's just a small difference: if the updater is started by the KLAS installer, it will update everything related to KLAS, and the basic support software required to run, like the Addon Manager files, the Couatl programs and its own scripts, etc. It won't update other *sceneries* so, for example, if you run the KLAS installer, the updater started by it, won't updated KMEM.

If you start the update manually, it will update *everything*.

But, since this was a KLAS issue, I don't think this difference is relevant to your case, since updating other sceneries surely won't have fixed something very specific to KLAS, like the markings.