Author Topic: Can we have a minimized GSX terminal layout map to choose a gate?  (Read 2627 times)

LSG Man

Hello fsdreamteam,
Id like to know if you guys could add a little transparent map showing the terminal layout of the airport so that we can choose a gate or parking position within the map in the GSX window. That would make things much easier because then we dont have to open airport parking position charts every time after landing. After landing we are already pretty busy with other things like preparing the aircraft for the engine shutdown and navigating it on the taxiway. In the following two pictures you can see how I imagine it.
Thanks and best regards,
Patrick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can we have a minimized GSX terminal layout map to choose a gate?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:07:39 am »
Keep in mind the only thing GSX knows about the outside world, is the data in the AFCAD so, the best you could ever hope as a possible representation, is something similar to what you could see in ADE.

Yes, I agree that it might be a nice feature but, there's always the risk of users not accepting it, because "real pilots don't have it", something similar to XPOI, which is a very smart program, but not nearly as popular as GSX, for the only reason that it offered something (useful) you don't have in real life.

LSG Man

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 05:26:15 pm »
Keep in mind the only thing GSX knows about the outside world, is the data in the AFCAD so, the best you could ever hope as a possible representation, is something similar to what you could see in ADE.
Yes! It can be plain and simple. It must not be very detailed.

Yes, I agree that it might be a nice feature but, there's always the risk of users not accepting it, because "real pilots don't have it", something similar to XPOI, which is a very smart program, but not nearly as popular as GSX, for the only reason that it offered something (useful) you don't have in real life.
But on the other hand real pilots have the advantage that they dont need to search for a free gate and dont need to worry if their airliner will fit into the gate position. They already get a free and suitable gate assigned by the tower. And a bunch of simmers dont have this advantage especially the ones flying offline with AI traffic. I think this new feature would at least compensate it and as real pilots have their advantages why cant we have our own advantages too? Thats because 2D panels exist. Real pilots dont have it and its not "realistic" but still there are many simmers out there who are grateful for this feature and appreciate it.

Kilstorm

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:51:12 pm »
Hello fsdreamteam,
Id like to know if you guys could add a little transparent map showing the terminal layout of the airport so that we can choose a gate or parking position within the map in the GSX window.

My solution has been to preflight with a freeware/donationware addon called Little NavMap found here: https://albar965.github.io/
Since I fly on PilotEdge I want to know where I am start at and where I will be parking so I will use Skyvector to pull up airport info as to where the FBO or GA parking is and then use Little Nav Map to see what is the best parking spots to use when calling in.

I see by your OP that you have created a request to have an airport map as part of GSX which simplifies what I do. I have no comment on that. I just wanted to share with you an option that doesnt require opening ADE or some scenery designer app to find parking as Little Nav Map does that plus so much more on flight planning and is a great program to have running in the background.