Author Topic: Vehicle textures black, brown-green or grey  (Read 4476 times)

Markito

Vehicle textures black, brown-green or grey
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:29:53 pm »
Dear all,

I have just installed GSX with the latest installer (2.1.0.0) because I had earlier before those textures. The new installer did not actually solve the issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Kindly,
Marco

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Vehicle textures black, brown-green or grey
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:12 pm »
You don't say which sim you use. If you use P3D 4.1, some users reported a problem with black textures, and not only on GSX, but on some airplanes too, so it might be an issue related to video drivers or shaders.

But even if you don't have P3D 4.1, if you have the GSX vehicles visible, but with no textures, the problem doesn't have anything to do with GSX. If you had this problem before, it's entirely normal that a new GSX installer won't fix this, since the problem was never GSX to begin with.

With FSX, the most common cause of problem is applying undocumented video tweaks that might not work with your specific card, so you should try all of these:

Reset your video driver to default

- If that doesn't work, try to delete your FSX.CFG, so a new one will be created with all default settings. Apply only the HIGHMEMFIX = 1 tweak and nothing else, if you use FSX.

- After you reset the FSX.CFG, you must reinstall GSX.

- If that doesn't work, be sure you are not running the sim or any of the addons that starts with it in Compatibility mode.

Markito

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 12:38:48 am »
Dear Umberto,
Thanks for your reply. I use P3D 4.1 - certainly something linked to that... I saw after having posted my topic that there were other users reporting similar issues.
Kind regards,
Marco

skipy33

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:22:24 am »
Hi,

P3D v4.1 identified bug:
http://www.prepar3d.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168515&sid=91743b895bf14ec89251f7c9f5bbb90a#p168748

Workaround is to disable all non used addons declared in Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder (the limit is 27?).

Skip.

keino333

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:37:33 pm »
Not sure if that is satisfactory. I should be highlighted that only after v4.1, install of KSDF and the GSX update this became an issue for me.  I hope both sides are looking at this closely.  However, their maybe some merit to FSDT claim.  I just install FSlabs A320x and my texture are black as well (installs into the add-ons as well) . 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »
I should be highlighted that only after v4.1, install of KSDF and the GSX update this became an issue for me

You are confusing the cause with the effect. The cause it's a known 4.1 bug (doesn't happen with 4.0), the effect is that you don't see textures on our sceneries, which are the *victim* of the problem, not the cause.

You might be mislead to think they might be the problem (they aren't), but only because we use the add-on package method to install our products (which is the native P3D method), and this bug happens ONLY if there are addons installed that way.

I hope both sides are looking at this closely.

LM is looking into this because we reported it, together with other developers and testers too, since it can affects any addon that has been installed using the add-on package method,

There's nothing we can or should do, since the problem doesn't have anything to do with GSX, can happen with every add-on (as you confirmed), and it disappear if you go back to 4.0, without touching anything related to FSDT or GSX, clearly indicating the issue is entirely unrelated to any our files.

However, their maybe some merit to FSDT claim.  I just install FSlabs A320x and my texture are black as well (installs into the add-ons as well) .

There's full merit to our claim, not just "some". It's a confirmed bug that happens ONLY after a certain number of addons installed. If you installed the A320 before GSX, you would probably assumed it was the A320 that caused it, but it wasn't.

keino333

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:30:08 pm »
He's right Captain's...my apologies for being premature and perhaps jumping the gun on this one Umberto.  Indeed it is the client 4.1.  I just uninstall it and reinstalled the legacy v4 and all black textures are no more.  (i left Content 4.1 installed).

So now F22 and Simlabs are with textures.  I'll remain in V4 legacy until V4.1XX is resolved.  We may have to reinstall GSX.

SimPat

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 07:10:31 am »
If you have more than 27 Airports in your P3Dv4.1 Menu Bar/Options/Add-Ons try turning some off. It should fix the BLACK Textures in GSX & SimObject Airplanes that show up black. L.M. is aware and hopefully will have a fix soon.

Pat

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:35:43 am »
We may have to reinstall GSX.

No, and that's the main advantage of the add-on.xml method: you can even reinstall the sim from scratch but, as long as you don't touch our add-on.xml in the Documents folder, you won't have to reinstall any of our stuff.

Be sure we are pushing LM in the background to fix this, because the system, as it is designed, is really far superior to anything else we had in the past, provided developers use it correctly ( some use the add-on.xml, but still install all their files in the sim folder, which is not required or desirable ), but it still have bugs and those must be fixed, and I'm confident they will.