Author Topic: Installation Path changes  (Read 5932 times)

wegerlee

Installation Path changes
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:18:08 am »
Hi Guys

I am about to install P3D V4.1 from new.  I know your scenery uses the new XML method to add it to the simulator, which is great.  I want to place all FSDT files outside the simulator into a central directory called Airport addons, which I have done for most other sceneries. I know how to modify the XML file to find it, but can I point the installer into my Airport addon directory. If not can I move it from the original directory in the SIM into my directory without any problems.  I have all FSDT airports.  Most of all can I do the same thing for GSX?.

Note:  I also have P3D V3.4 installed. Basically the same question here.  At the moment I uninstalled all FSDT products.

Thanks

Elmar Wegerle

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installation Path changes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:08:31 pm »
DO NOT change ANYTHING in our installation paths manually! Use ONLY our installers. If you want to choose the folder where you want to have the FSDT products installed, you MUST do it from our installer.

If you have already installed anything from FSDT using our current installers (so they are already using the add-on.xml method), but you want to change their folder for any reason, you must do the following:

1) Uninstall everything from FSDT, and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?". THIS will result to have the installer asking again for a new location on the next reinstall.

2) Reinstall all your FSDT products, and choose your preferred installation path, which can be anywhere, on any drive. You will be able to select a folder ONLY if you replied Yes to the Addon Manager removal request in Step #1

If you really want to have a "central" folder for *all* your addons, you can choose that folder, and the installer will create an "Addon Manager" folder with all our stuff inside.

That would work, but I suggest doing choosing something easier to find, like D:\Addon Manager, if only because FSDT is not just airports: we have utilities like GSX or XPOI, which will also installed there, and it might be confusing, for example (assuming you choose "D:\Addon Airports" as your main folder) having GSX installed into "D:\Addon Airports\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\Couatl\GSX"

Whatever folder you end up choosing, always remind these easy to remember rules:

- NEVER, EVER, move things manually. ALWAYS use our installers and uninstallers. We don't "just" copy files, we also need to set registry keys which are used by the software to find things, and we need to set proper permissions, which are required to comply with UAC, etc.

- All FSDT stuff MUST stay together, under the Addon Manager folder you chose.

- Do not choose the sim folder as target for the installation. Now that you are free to install outside the sim, installing into the sim is probably the worse possible idea.

wegerlee

Re: Installation Path changes
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:20:42 pm »
Hi Umberto

Thanks for the extensive reply and helping me out.  I have P3D 3.4 and 4.1 (now) installed and removed all airports incl. Addon Manager previously.  I make sure the Flightbeam sceneries which are also in there are removed completely incl. any traces (DEN,IAD adn PHX still use Addon Manager :))
This is great news and I will install everything outside the sime now.

Thanks again for your help and I do appreciate your great products.  Well done.

Cheers

Elmar :) :) :)