Author Topic: AS16 and IVAOs IVAP do not terminate not stopping properly on v4 shutdown  (Read 3367 times)

Hornet991

Hey guys,

I've come about a problem where P3Dv4 doesn't shut down properly with AddonManager installed and couatl.exe running.
So after shutting down, the process of couatl.exe is being terminated, but AS16 and IVAOs IVAP do not terminate. Speaking for AS16 it just keeps thinking P3D is still connected and running. This has to be a problem caused by the AddonManager or couatl.exe, but I have absolutely no clue how or why. I tried different ways of starting the Manager or couatl.exe but have not come to a solution. Reinstalling didn't help as well. I do have the newest version installed.

It's v4.0.28.21686.

I really do not have any more idea what to try to get it back functioning, thats why I now start bothering you with my problems. :-P

Best regards,
Arne.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:20:16 am by virtuali »

Terblanche

AS16 and IVAOs IVAP do not terminate not stopping properly on v4 shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:44:49 pm »
 :(

NO reply ...???
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:20:22 am by virtuali »
Terblanche Jordaan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:48:17 am »
From your report, the problem seems to be AS16/IVAP not closing properly, while as you said yourself, Clouatl.exe shut down itself correctly.

I can't see why you are assuming the problem is the Addon Manager or Couatl.exe, when the two modules that are not behaving correctly do not have anything to do with it, and the only one the close itself correctly is Couatl.exe.

Does the problem disappear if you uninstall our software ?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:20:28 am by virtuali »

Terblanche

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 01:10:05 am »
I'm not so sure of your answer Umberto ...
BECAUSE
... why does P3D4 close properly when you exit 'in-flight' - everything close (AS16, SODE etc) but the moment you are at an airport (where GSX is) then AS16 and SODE stays active after your've exited P3D4 and then you have to manually close it in Task Manager.
I've uninstalled SODE and AS16 and the problem persists. Somewhere GSX and whatever else are using Simconnect have an argument with one another when you close and exit P3D4.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:20:34 am by virtuali »
Terblanche Jordaan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:19:43 am »
... why does P3D4 close properly when you exit 'in-flight' - everything close (AS16, SODE etc) but the moment you are at an airport (where GSX is) then AS16 and SODE stays active after your've exited P3D4 and then you have to manually close it in Task Manager.

That doesn't tell anything. Just you are at an airport, it doesn't mean the failure to close is *caused* by GSX, just because GSX is at an airport, there are so many other things that appears only "at an airport", so you cannot say it must be GSX.

I've uninstalled SODE and AS16 and the problem persists. Somewhere GSX and whatever else are using Simconnect have an argument with one another when you close and exit P3D4.

Why you now uninstalled SODE, when you first said it was AS16 and IVAP that failed to close ? You should have uninstalled those instead. But I told you the opposite: you should have uninstalled GSX instead.

If you uninstall GSX and you are still unable to close AS16 and IVAP, then you can be sure the problem didn't had anything to do with GSX.

But even if you uninstall GSX and the problem goes away, it still doesn't mean GSX is the problem. In this case, it might be just a conflict caused by different Simconnect versions used by those products and GSX.

While a .DLL cannot caused any Simconnect versioning problems in P3D V4, since there's only ONE version available (the native 64 bit version), .EXE modules can be either 32 or 64 bit, and are not required to use the P3D V4 Simconnect, since in client-server mode the P3DV4 server is still compatible with 32 bit clients using previous version of Simconnect and, since there are several of them (both for FSX and P3DV3 and earlier), it's *possible* that, when loading modules using different versions of Simconnect AND different versions of the VC++ runtimes, if anything is wrong with your installation, conflicts might happen, without this being anyone's "fault", but just because in order to have the Windows Side-by-side system working correctly, all the various libraries must be installed correctly.

Our two software modules are:

- The Addon Manager ( bglmanx64.dll ). This CANNOT suffer by Simconnect conflicts in any way because, as a .DLL, it can only work with the only one Simconnect version available for P3D V4, and use the VC++ 2015 runtimes, as required by the P3D V4 SDK.

- Couatl.exe is a 32 bit Simconnect client, which is compatible with every version of FSX and P3D, and use the FSX SP2/XPack Simconnect version, and the VC++ 2015 runtimes by itself.

- Other modules you use, if they are .EXE files, can also be 32 bit, and being compiled with OTHER Simconnect versions, and they might also use *different* VC++ libraries. While a failed Simconnect installation will prevent a module from even starting, a conflict between different VC++ runtimes might not be solvable.

GSX uses the most current VC++ runtime available, which is the SAME used by P3D V4 and it's the one LM suggest 3rd party apps should use, for the precise reason to minimize the chance of conflicts. However, your other modules might not, and this might be the real cause of the problem.