Author Topic: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET  (Read 283023 times)

killer

Re: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« Reply #375 on: December 06, 2018, 08:17:31 pm »
I appreciate your input. I unfortunately sent Steam to program files(x86), Win 10. I did not know I had control as to what file it goes to. Will give it a try. I'm not very computer smart. I flew Phantoms (VF-11) in Nam , so you can figure out my age, F-4B's did not have a computer.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #376 on: December 06, 2018, 09:06:36 pm »
Well, hey Killer!
Thank you SO much for your service!

I worked on the F-4N/J/S's (AERO-1A, AWG-10A/B/C, etc), mostly in Yuma, but I did short stints at Clark AB, Iwakuni, etc etc.
They finally did get a computer of sorts into the plane when they finally upgraded to the AWG-10B and C, but if it worked was a daily toss-up  ???

Anywho, there are many instructions on How-To uninstall FSX:SE, and install it to another folder, to be had out there. Just google them. They are a lot better instructors for this out there, so I'll let you find the ones that work best for you. I am an absolutely terrible instructor, I fear, or I would.

Have fun, sir, and thanks again for giving me plenty to keep me busy fixing those radar systems  :D
Pat☺

killer

« Reply #377 on: December 10, 2018, 04:52:22 pm »
Pat, Thanks for your service and the help. Still not sure what to do to download FSXBA F-18C 14.3. I created a new folder  in the C:// drive and tried to download to the new folder, but only got the instructions on how to operate A/C, probably readme file. Can the FSXBA F/A F-18C file  be downloaded to documents and then activated by clicking on that file?
I'm anxious to fly this new version, but I'm totally frustrated with my lack of knowledge on computers. Maybe you could pass this on to someone who would know what to do.
Don

PhantomTweak

« Reply #378 on: December 10, 2018, 10:12:18 pm »
I hope that was typo, and you mean the v18.3, not the v14.3!

Go to the first post on page one of this thread. Look down about half-way, until you see the download links. The BLUE text. Left Click on the blue text. Don't right-click it and use Save Link As... Just lclick on it once. I think that that step is where it went south on you.
A new tab will open in your browser, with the file you can download showing in the upper-right corner area. There will be a little box in the center of the page with a folder looking icon that says Download. Lclick it once.
Another new tab will open, with a box top-center telling you it "Can't be checked for viruses, Download Anyway?" Lclick on that. In other words, yes, download it anyway. Depending on your internet connection, it can take a while to download. Just let it run.

Once you have the zipfile on your PC, rclick on it, and unzip it with 7Zip to the folder of your choice. I'm presuming you know how to use 7Zip, or the program of your choice, to extract files from zipfiles. Make sure you extract ALL the files/folders in the zipfile to your chosen folder. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure Jimi put it all in an auto-installer. You should now have a file named Install.exe, or something similar, in the folder you unzipped to. Just to double check, I'm downloading it now to make sure this is all correct. I will let you know if there are any corrections I need to make :D

Rclick on the Install.exe file you now have, and select Run As Administrator. That is important. You will get a small window open up. This is the installer that will place the plane and all it's ancillary files for you. You will need to accept the EULA, as most programs require.
It will then ask you what you want to install, the plane, or the plane and the paint kit. I don't think you really need the paint kit right now, so ensure it's little check-box is NOT checked. Click Next.
Next, it will ask you where your FSX installation is. Like C:\MicrosoftGames\FSX, or D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX. Wherever you may keep it. Use the little Browse button off to the left of the empty box to select your FSX root folder. Once you find it, it will appear in the white box. Makes sure it's correct, then click Next.

Let it run. After it installs the plane's files and folders to your FSX folder, it will begin installing the .Net Framework file. LET THIS RUN! Do NOT cancel it. It can take a while, and even APPEAR to be locked up. It's NOT. Just leave it alone until it finishes. When everything has finished running, it will ask you if you want it to open the Readme file included. Your choice at this point. The installer should now close.

You should now have the plane in your ...\FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder. If you want to verify it, look for a folder named FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_18.3.00. That's your plane. IN the sim, using the Aircraft Select screen, just select the "FSX Blue Angels and Groom Lake Productions" from the Manufacturer tab. That makes sure that all you see are the paints for this aircraft.
For now, I suggest you don't use the Blue Angel paints, just the regular squadron paints. It has to do with the cockpit lay-out, to prevent confusion, hopefully :) Once you get used to the Fleet cockpit, the cockpit layout used by 99.9% of Navy/MC pilots, then you can use the Blue Angel paints to see the differences in the cockpit layouts.

I hope this helps a little. If I got too simplistic, I apologize, but you said you don't know computers. I was just trying to make it as understandable for someone like that. I certainly mean no insult whatsoever!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes for you. :)
Pat☺

PhantomTweak

« Reply #379 on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:33 pm »
Ok, I just got done downloading the v18.3.

I looks like it's a "manual" install. SO:
Just unzip the zipfile to the folder of your choice. It will have the lane's folder in it, labeled FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_18.3.00 .

Copy the entire folder to your ...\FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder.

Open the folder now in the \Airplanes\FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_18.3.00 folder labeled Extras. Copy the Effects folder to your sim's ...FSX\Effects folder. It will ask if you want to merge the Effects folder with the sim's Effects folder. Answer yes, and also answer yes to any overwrites that may occur.

Sorry for the confusion. I honestly thought Jimi had put it all into an auto-installer.

Hope this is a better version of the instructions :D
Pat☺

killer

« Reply #380 on: December 10, 2018, 11:47:17 pm »
I appreciate your input, and I needed it simple so thanks. I'm downloading it now then wll unzip. I will let you know how it goes, probably tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks again.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #381 on: December 11, 2018, 08:14:51 am »
Hope things work out well for ya!  ;)

Luck!
Pat☺

SimPilotHR

« Reply #382 on: January 11, 2019, 05:47:20 pm »
Hello!

First of all, I would thank all the people that have put work onto the Hornet, it is truly an amazing aircraft to fly! Once again, thank you all!

Now the problems that I am facing currently...
I know that the switches do not rotate/switch when clicked (for example the light switch that sits under the throttle quadrant, I think it is the nav or beacon) but I have noticed some abnormal control behavior during cruise or high altitudes (30k ft and up)
Once I get to...let's say, FL360, when I want to turn to the left/right, the controls don't feel like they were before at 10k ft or so. And when I want to do an airelon roll at 30k ft and up, it spins too fast or...should I say, dangerously fast...
Maybe that is the actual behavior of the aircraft at such altitude, but I just wanted to advise you about this problem.
Oh, and BTW, the aircraft feels normal after I descend to 10k and below, even at 20k the controls feel the same as it was at 30k ft.

Kind regards,

ace_2012

« Reply #383 on: January 24, 2019, 11:21:32 pm »
Wonderful job, as usual. Incredible plane. And the traffic gauge is fantastic. Is it available for other planes?

PhantomTweak

« Reply #384 on: January 25, 2019, 08:05:53 am »
Wonderful job, as usual. Incredible plane. And the traffic gauge is fantastic. Is it available for other planes?
The "traffic gauge"? Do you mean a radar, or the Air-Air refueling gauge or...
If possible, can you post a screenshot of what you mean? I just want to be certain what we're talking about.

Good luck!
Pat☺

ace_2012

« Reply #385 on: January 25, 2019, 04:25:58 pm »
Thanks for your response, I talk about Shift+5 comination

Trying to insert an image but no luck...

PhantomTweak

« Reply #386 on: January 25, 2019, 09:34:36 pm »
Ok, I got it now. That's the Air-to-Air refuel gauge.
It works in any plane. You can mid-air refuel a Piper Cub, if you can make it keep up with the target plane :D

You can either use the one included with the Hornet, and simply place the gauge's CAB in the FSX\Gauges folder. That way, any plane can use it. Then add the gauge to the desired plane's Panel.cfg file, and away you go. There is a good download of the gauge alone located here:https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=145664, or, as I say just use the Hornet's version.

It also works very nicely as an airborne radar system for finding other aircraft out there. You can filter for airborne only, on the ground only, or both. I usually set the filter for airborne only, since I don't really care if a plane is parked on the ground. Only in the ones in the air are of interest, to me. The ground information IS handy if a plane you are looking for is taxiing for take off, though.

Does this help at all?
Pat☺

ace_2012

« Reply #387 on: January 26, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »
Thanks!!! that's exatly what I want to do. Look for other planes. Thankyou for your time!!!

PhantomTweak

« Reply #388 on: January 26, 2019, 08:42:37 pm »
Glad to help :D

Have fun!
Pat☺

armenius

« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2019, 08:32:09 pm »
Noticed when operating in winter conditions, the snow being kicked up from the main landing gear wheels is offset some 2-3 feet outboard from where the wheels actually are. Is there a setting in the cfg that can change this?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:33:58 pm by armenius »