Author Topic: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET  (Read 283173 times)

jring2

Re: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2018, 05:16:39 pm »
PROBLEM FOUND AND SOLVED!!! :)

I installed a T45C from yesteryear into my P3d V3 and found the arrestor cables didn't work for that aircraft either, so knew the issue was the aircraft carrier. Found and downloaded an updated version of uss_nimitz_uss_eisenhower_v2. (I had been using an older version from my backup hard drive.) And again my complements on this aircraft! Drifts in like a dream and settles nicely on the deck. It definitely gives a nice feel in flying. Thanks for all the help on the error message. Landing FA-18's on the USS Nimitz used to be my favorite pastime. It will be again. :)
AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz, 16 gig 1200 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 970 w/4gig
OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3.4, REXII, Genesis mesh

PhantomTweak

« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2018, 09:06:58 pm »
Bear in mind, and it may have just been the turn of phrase you used, but carrier-borne aircraft shouldn't "settle" onto the deck. They come DOWN. Hard.
Once you set up AOA, Pitch, and Power, keep it all the same, well maybe vary power a bit to control you vertical flight path, down to impact. Navy pilots NEVER flare. They PUT the plane on the deck, ship or shore.

It's called a "controlled crash" for a reason, after all :D

Javier's Nimitz and Ike V2 is the base carrier many use. I do. I use it the most often. It's certainly old, but one of the best. You would be amazed, however, at the number of other, more recent, carriers out there. The HUD only recognizes certain of them, however. Javier's Nimitz is the primary carrier for most, that's for sure. Glad you got everything working right, though :)

By the bye, if I may be so bold, I strongly recommend NOT adding any add-on ship formations of any sort to the base AICarriers.cfg file. Use the conf.d folder, and have the various add-on's .cfg files in a sub-folder under it. That way, you  can swap them in and out, and you don't wind up with a  SHFT+J menu with 10 pages you need to search through for the ship you want to use at the moment. Just a thought.

Also, remember to keep the plane's Gross Weight under 33K lbs to land on the boat.
You need 35 kts Wind Over the Deck (WOD), as well.
I get the boat set and moving with AICarriers, then add the 10 Kts wind down the angle deck's heading to make the 35 Kts required. The carriers travel at 25 Kts by default, and there's a way to edit the boat's .cfg file to make the ship go the right speed to make the correct WOD, but I'm lazy, and just use the weather settings built into the sim to accomplish it. That way, I don't have to remember which ships I've modified and which not.

Enjoy! The v18.3 certainly is a real joy to fly, isn't it??
Pat☺

jring2

« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2018, 09:43:32 pm »
Yup! Real joy to fly. And agree on 'no flare'. To better define 'settle" the aircraft holds its descent rate nicely.
AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz, 16 gig 1200 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 970 w/4gig

jring2

« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2018, 06:02:37 am »

Javier's Nimitz and Ike V2 is the base carrier many use. I do. I use it the most often. It's certainly old, but one of the best. You would be amazed, however, at the number of other, more recent, carriers out there. The HUD only recognizes certain of them, however. Javier's Nimitz is the primary carrier for most, that's for sure. Glad you got everything working right, though :)

Do you have some recommended links to other aircraft carriers that work with P3d V4?

PhantomTweak

« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2018, 09:02:57 am »
Why, yes, yes I do!  ;D
Look through this section of the SimOuthouse Library: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=114
Those are for FSX, but like I said, most if not all the carriers that work in FSX also work in P3D. You'll need to register on SOH to download anything, but it's free, and easy.

FS Shipyards is another. You can see the carriers here: http://www.fs-shipyards.org/index.php?ind=downloads&op=section_view&idev=1
You don't even need to register to download these ships.

There's a start. Or you can Google "Aircraft Carrier FSX" (no quotes). I've found that if you just search for "Carriers FSX", you wind up with a few million entries for various Air Carrier companies, which can conceal what you really want to find :D
Also, ensure they are capable of functioning as AI, and can be used by, or in, AICarriers. The ones that are AIC-capable usually have an AICarriers .cfg file included for you, so you can easily verify it.

Anyway, there's a good start. Remember what I said about not adding formations directly into the AICarriers.cfg file!

Once you get to really searching, you will be surprised how many there are. Both WWII, and modern types.
Have fun!
Pat☺

D5turbi

« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2018, 09:34:59 am »

Do you have some recommended links to other aircraft carriers that work with P3d V4?

You have the French carriers "Charles de Gaulle", "Foch" and "Clémenceau" and some others here :

http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia.fr/RFN-Creations.htm

Jean
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:48:07 am by D5turbi »

jring2

« Reply #201 on: July 02, 2018, 06:38:26 am »
Thanks Pat and Jean! A plethora of options!

jason99vmi

« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2018, 03:27:36 pm »
Getting the dreaded FCS FAIL on the HUD.   Read through the discussion with Phantom but those solutions don't seem to fix it on my end.  Use P3D v4.3 and have a new FSUIPC.  Tried moving HornetFCS.dll to P3D/Gauges folder as well but didn't work.  Tried all 3 P3D versions. 

Any install suggestions?  I just dropped the whole folder into SimObjects. 

Thanks! Love this bird! 

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2018, 07:15:08 pm »
Jason,

Just to clarify, did you drop it into SimObjects, or SimObjects/Airplanes?

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jason99vmi

« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:05 pm »
Jason,

Just to clarify, did you drop it into SimObjects, or SimObjects/Airplanes?

SimObjects/Airplanes

PhantomTweak

« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2018, 09:11:24 pm »
Do you have the correct .NET Framework , Visual C++ Redistributable, Simconnect, and FSUIPC, versions installed?
Especially the last 3 I just mentioned?

Those can bite you if you'e not careful.
Versions you should have installed:
Visual C++ Redistributable v14.9.23026,
Simconnect v16.0.62615,
and the FSUIPC should be the latest from Mr. Dowson. I'm not sure what the latest version is for the P3D 64 bit.

Also, are you using the correct Hornet_FCS.dll version?
There is a folder included in the download .zip file called P3D Specific Files. The Hornet_FCS.dll included in the Panel.Fleet folder is for the 32 bit systems. FSX and the older P3D versions. You need to copy the files included in the P3D Specific folder to the correct places. I would rename the Hornet_FCS.DLL in the Panel.Fleet folder to something else, then place the one specific to the P3D 64 bit setup into the Panel.Fleet folder.

Not sure if all this will help or not. Just a possibility.
Pat☺

D5turbi

« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2018, 03:35:55 pm »
Getting the dreaded FCS FAIL on the HUD.   Read through the discussion with Phantom but those solutions don't seem to fix it on my end.  Use P3D v4.3 and have a new FSUIPC.  Tried moving HornetFCS.dll to P3D/Gauges folder as well but didn't work.  Tried all 3 P3D versions. 

Any install suggestions?  I just dropped the whole folder into SimObjects. 

Thanks! Love this bird! 

Hello,
I had the same problem after installing P3D v4.3.
All I tried was not successful, I still had the FCS Fail on the HUD.
The only solution was to replace the whole file of the Hornet in SimObject \ Airplanes, by that received from a friend who had not been concerned by this issue.

Jean

jason99vmi

« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2018, 07:15:58 pm »
Do you have the correct .NET Framework , Visual C++ Redistributable, Simconnect, and FSUIPC, versions installed?
Especially the last 3 I just mentioned?

Those can bite you if you'e not careful.
Versions you should have installed:
Visual C++ Redistributable v14.9.23026,
Simconnect v16.0.62615,
and the FSUIPC should be the latest from Mr. Dowson. I'm not sure what the latest version is for the P3D 64 bit.

Also, are you using the correct Hornet_FCS.dll version?
There is a folder included in the download .zip file called P3D Specific Files. The Hornet_FCS.dll included in the Panel.Fleet folder is for the 32 bit systems. FSX and the older P3D versions. You need to copy the files included in the P3D Specific folder to the correct places. I would rename the Hornet_FCS.DLL in the Panel.Fleet folder to something else, then place the one specific to the P3D 64 bit setup into the Panel.Fleet folder.

Not sure if all this will help or not. Just a possibility.
Pat☺

Yeah i read through all your back and forth with Jimi and tried the C++ fix.  I will double check the version number so thanks for that.  And tried the Hornet_FCS.dll swap, even with the previous version marked Hornet_FCS64.dll. But I'll try the swap again. 

Thanks Pat! By the way love your DCS posts.  You got me hooked.  I assume you're that same Pat "Phantom88"  lol.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2018, 09:23:45 pm »
Thanks Pat! By the way love your DCS posts.  You got me hooked.  I assume you're that same Pat "Phantom88"  lol.
Nope, that's not me. I use the PhantomTweak name everywhere.
It indicates what I did most of my time in the Corps. I was an Intermediate Level technician for the F-4 N/J/S Phantom II.
Component level repair and replacement on the Radar system sitting in that big, Jimi Durante style, nose they had.
We also fine tuned, or "tweaked" the system parts before we sent them to Supply for the Squadron's use. I spent a lot of time with a jeweler's screwdriver in my hand, adjusting potentiometers on circuit boards. Known as tweakin-n-peakin the system.

Hence, PhantomTweak. I "tweaked" Phantom radar systems :D

But I'm glad you enjoyed them anyway  :D
Pat☺

Johan

« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2018, 03:06:15 am »
Hi, Oliver :D
Just so you know, the various carriers TACAN channel never show "ON" on the UFC. They work, they just don't show the "ON" you're looking for.
Did you turn the ILS needles on on the HUD Control Panel? They're off by default in this version. You can have them ON by default if you want to edit the correct .ini file. I can tell you how, if you desire. But as it stands, you have to call up the HCP, SHFT+2, and click the ILS button so the upper half of the button is illuminated.
They also only show if you are within 15° of the "runway", horizontally and vertically, and inside 15 NMi. range.
A great way to tell if the plane is picking up the carrier is to look on the HUD for the TCN range indication to appear on the HUD, lower right side. Also, the NAV1 needle on the HCP will be "hunting", or jumping very rapidly back and forth without you touching the knob. Of course, you must have NAV1 selected as your source. The toggle switch above the NAV select knobs on the HCP. It should have NAV1 as it's default, but if you're not sure, click it though it's cycle a couple times, making sure it lands on NAV1.

Hope this helps a little...
Pat☺

Hi Pat,

I just installed the new 18.3 version (from the previous 17.3). Great improvements, thanking you, Jimi, and the entire team.
I am reading this thread about TACAN, and I encounter the same problem as Oliver, i.e., you can't enter directly a TACAN frequency (unless I am missing something), you can only enter the equivalent ILS. Version 17.3 allowed to punch the TACAN directly.
Hope that this can be corrected in the future.
But anyway, not a huge deal compared to all the new updates and immense work.
Thank you guys,

Johan