Author Topic: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET  (Read 283105 times)

PhantomTweak

Re: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2018, 09:09:53 pm »
Hi Jean,
May I ask, how do you KNOW you're not in PA mode?
There's no indication of it anywhere I'm aware of. It's just the way the FCS flies the plane that changes. Jimi gave some good info about HOW the FCS changes way it flies the plane above.
When you start into the approach are you below 33,000 Lbs gross weight? Does the pitch trim change to 8.1° as it's supposed to? YOU don't change it, the FCS does it for you, all other parameters being correct. That's one indicator the FCS is in PA mode.
When you first start to go into approach mode, is your pitch trim zero? IE: When you first start to slow to begin your approach, do you ensure your manual pitch trim is zero NU/ND? You can see an indication of your manual pitch trim on the Checklist page of any MFD.
When you select Flaps during the mode change, do you go to Flaps FULL, or 1/2? They should be in FULL.
Once you've activated the ATC, do you change the throttle beyond 90%/20% manually? That will deactivate it, and you would then need to reactivate it with SHFT+R again. Do you ensure your throttle is between 90 and 20% before you try to activate the ATC mode?

Ok, ok, shutting up now...
Pat☺

D5turbi

« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:16 am »

When you first start to go into approach mode, is your pitch trim zero? IE: When you first start to slow to begin your approach, do you ensure your manual pitch trim is zero NU/ND? You can see an indication of your manual pitch trim on the Checklist page of any MFD.

Hi Pat,
Thanks for your answer.
It's my mistake, I had set the trim to 8.1 ° manually.

After test, everything is ok now.
(and don't shut up)  :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:43:44 am by D5turbi »

Victory103

« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2018, 05:42:38 pm »
I GOT, I GOT IT!!!! I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!

Somehow, of all things, my FSUIPC got corrupted. I didn't see it in the ADD-ONS menu. I don't even recall why I was looking there. I ran it's installer again, and LO!!, no more FCS FAIL:P  8)
Oddly, all my other planes, not that I have a ton of them but still, never had a bit of trouble, and I am certain some of them, and their gauges, use FSUIPC also.
I will go on a thorough test flight of the v18.3 tonight, and see how she flies. I am SO HAPPY!!  ;D

I can't thank you all enough for your assistance in this little situation, I really can't. My flight sim world is back on an even keel, and the seas and skies look clear, smooth, and ready to accept this incredible bird once again.

In some time, not for a couple weeks, I'll try and figure out my FSUIPC's problem. I'll report on what I dig up, just in case anyone else runs into this odd little piece of trouble. I have a sneaking hunch it has to do with an update I may have done, but I'm not going to say anything until I know for certain.

I'm going flying!!
Pat☺

Great catch PhantomTweak! Just getting back in the cockpit of my gaming FSX machine after a couple of months away and I had the same after the install. Pretty sure I moved files correctly, but I assumed along with the other updates on my machine I also needed to check FSUIPC.  Holy 80+ repaints, Batman!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Kea

« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2018, 09:47:40 am »
Here is a different texture set for the cockpit of this marvelous aircraft for anyone who wants a more "worn" look. They are by no means perfect, and may even still be a WIP (if I can find time to keep refining them).
Full disclosure - I have borrowed some elements from the default F18 pit, as well as adding some of my own tweaks, but kept the majority of the original button and switch panels. Some of the textures are stretched simply by the model itself so may look a bit low-res.
I have also included the original texture set again in case someone installs this, doesn't like it, but then realises they've overwritten their originals.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jfdtcXHvVkruuSUE7weJURMPjwXFgRoX

Before and after shots in the zip file.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2018, 09:29:50 pm »
Awesome!  Can't wait to check them out once I get the chance.  Thanks!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Victory103

« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:33 am »
Thanks Kea, about to work the model into my recent P3D install. It's a legacy Hornet, it should have a worn out, "been on the boat too long" look to it.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Kea

« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2018, 04:55:40 am »
Thoroughly agree Victory.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2018, 11:07:30 am »
Can you guys post pics of the cockpit when able?  Thanks.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

brunofer

« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2018, 10:00:08 pm »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2018, 11:37:49 pm »
Outstanding. Thanks!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

jring2

« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2018, 07:42:59 am »
Beautiful job on these! Everything seems pretty straight forward and they fly great. I downloaded FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_18.3.00.P3D.zip and installed it. The only thing I have been unable to do is to get the hook to engage the arrestor cables. I'm using AICarriers (non java) All my carrier landings are touch and go. When the FA-18 loads in P3d V4 it complains it is unable to find a config file and says it uses E:\Prepar3d\guages\dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.ini. When I open it in P3d V3 it gives no error. In either of the Lockheed sims the arrestor cables don't engage. I have not tried it in FSX. Any idea what my problem is?
AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz, 16 gig 1200 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 970 w/4gig
OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3.4, REXII, Genesis mesh

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2018, 07:33:21 pm »
Hey Jring,

Glad you are enjoying the jet and thanks for the good words!

As for the sounds file, should be an easy fix. 
1. Simply go to the Lockheed Martin/P3Dv4/Sim Objects/Airplanes/FSXBA FA-18..... and look for a folder that says something like "For P3Dv4".  I'm away from my gaming computer at the moment, but it should be in either the main FSXBA FA-18 folder or in the Panel.Fleet folder. 

2. In there, you should see the dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.ini file that is missing.  Simply copy and paste that file into the Panel.Fleet folder (one level up).

3. In the same Panel.Fleet folder, you should see a file called "Panel.cfg".  Open it with Notepad and locate the " [Vcockpit01] section. 
Change this:

Code: [Select]
gauge20=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound, 2,2,2,2, \Sound\Sound.ini
To this:
Code: [Select]
gauge20=dsd_p3d_xml_sound_64!Sound, 2,2,2,2, \Sound\Sound.ini
4.  Save the file, close it, and restart FSX/P3D if you currently have it open.

As for the hook issue, I'll have to dig into that once I get home.  Until then, I'll start with the basics....
-How are you lowering the hook? (i.e. clicking switch in cockpit or using an assigned key or switch)
-Have you visually verified that it is down? (i.e. the hook lever shows down, the shows down from external view)  Is it remaining down once place in the down position or does it quickly retract to the up position on its own?

For the sake of testing, try clicking on the hook lever in your virtual cockpit to lower it, verify that the hook is down and attempt a landing.

If it still doesn't work, try assigning a button or key to toggle the hook up or down, lower the hook, verify visually and attempt a landing.

If it still doesn't work, report back here with your findings and we'll look at some other variables.

Hope this helps...

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

PhantomTweak

« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2018, 08:39:20 pm »
Just to help a little, there is a dandy add-on, that uses AICarriers.NET to add an FLOLS trailer and functional arresting gear to the airport of your choice. Might be a handy way to do the landing tests Jimi recommended.
After all, shore based airports don't move around, or have Angle Decks like the carriers do.  ;D

Anyway, you can find it here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=131878.
It's for FSX Acceleration, but it might work in P3D. I don't have P3D, so I can't test it myself.
It seems like the landable AI carriers made for FSX, as well as AICarriers.NET, work just fine in P3D, so I suspect this might as well.

By the way, do you use the default key combo for lowering the hook, or do you have it assigned to a joystick button? If you use the default key-combo (SHFT+Q in FSX) ignore everything that follows.

If you assigned the hook to a joystick button, have you checked to make certain there's no other action assigned to that key? There might be a conflict with another assignment.
Do you have the Repeat slider in the center, full left, or full right? I think, if you have the Repeat slider in the Key Assignments window full right, it might be lowering, then immediately raising the hook again.
Worth a look, anyway.

As I said, though, if you simply use the default key-combo, or the lever in your VC, ignore everything I just said  :D

Hope this is of some help...
Pat☺

jring2

« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2018, 04:51:15 am »
Thanks for the input. I have been using the assigned shift/Q as the trigger and it shows the hook descend. I am not able to do any testing atm but should be able to tomorrow. I will use the  VC lever and give it a try. I am also installing another aircraft carrier aircraft when I get a chance to see if the issue is unique to the FA-18. I will test and let you know the results. Again thanks both for the input. I am pretty used to the pitching decks, though they do pitch way more in P3d V4 if you stir up the weather a little. :)
AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz, 16 gig 1200 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 970 w/4gig
OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3.4, REXII, Genesis mesh

PhantomTweak

« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2018, 08:24:14 am »
I am pretty used to the pitching decks, though they do pitch way more in P3d V4 if you stir up the weather a little.  :)
Heck, those AI LSO's hate me enough as it is. I make the ship any "pitchier" my score's will go right out the porthole  :D
Come the day I get good enough to get a decent trap every time (I may live that long, who knows?  :P ), I'll use the software Pitching Deck to make things get more interesting. Add in a little weather, like rain and low ceilings, and two things will happen:
1) My scores will go to heck...again  ;D  ::)
And 2) I wager I'll have a lot more bolters.
Of course, maybe I'll come to appreciate the AI LSO's a bit more, under those conditions....
NAAAAhHHH!
 :D  :D

Have fun! I sure do!
Pat☺