Author Topic: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET  (Read 285498 times)

expat

Re: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2018, 04:18:54 pm »
And speaking of precise, I started off with v 18.3 - not 17.1 -  just so others troubleshooting this know this. All in P3Dv4.1.

Still a mystery though what caused the problem between flights in 18.3 without doing a thing to the install . .

Azframer

« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2018, 06:32:41 pm »
Now, question, what exactly is FCS and what does it do?

Flight Control System

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2018, 12:51:57 am »
question, what exactly is FCS and what does it do?! :)

Azframer is correct, Flight Control System.... More specifically, it's a series of Proportional Integral Derivative (PIDs) that controls the Pitch, Roll, Yaw, Flaps and Trim systems of the aircraft.  These PIDs constantly monitors what the aircraft IS doing and what the pilot WANTS to do and works to drive the difference to zero.  It is our tool that allows us to mimic as close as possible the control logic of the real jet based on what we know and our math/coding abilities

......................................................Inhales...........................................................

What does it (the gauge in particular) do?.... a few things...

3-AXIS FLIGHT CONTROL
With most FSX aircraft, user input is directly translated to control surfaces (i.e. flight stick controls elevator position).  For example, if you pull all the way back on your flight stick or yoke, the elevators on the aircraft will deflect all the way up.  This will occur regardless of the aircraft's attitude, airspeed or configuration.  

With the Hornet, things are a little different.  The FCS basically asks the pilot: "What do you want the aircraft to do, and I'll move the elevators, ailerons, rudders and flaps to give you what you want."  With that being said, your flight stick now controls G, Pitch Rate, AOA and Elevator Positions depending on the airspeed and aircraft configuration.  For example, at 400 KIAS, you pull back on the flight stick a little.  The FCS registers that position of the flight stick to equate to about 2.0 Gs.  The FCS then deflects and constantly adjusts the elevators to give you the 2.0 Gs that you've "asked" for.  Let's say you accelerate up to 600 KIAS, and pull back on the flight stick the same amount, the FCS again registers that you are still asking for a 2.0 G pull, but also understands that you are traveling through the air much faster and therefore will not require as much elevator deflection to give you the 2.0 Gs that you asked for, so it adjusts elevator output accordingly.

There are two primary modes, Up & Away (UA) and Powered Approach (PA).  The modes are controlled by Flap Position.  UA mode is entered when the flaps are placed in UP/AUTO, and PA is selected anytime the flaps are placed in HALF or FULL.

UA Mode
UA mode is much like what I described above, and rings true (as close as we can tweak it anyways) for airspeeds above 310 knots, below 310 knots, the system starts blending G command with Pitch Rate command, and eventually your flight stick will control only Pitch Rate at around 250 knots and below.

There is an exception to the logic however.  
-If the jet is at 22 degs AOA and above, above 22 degs AOA, your flight stick starts blending control of Pitch Rate with Angle of Attack and after a certain point, your flight control stick will command AOA only (up to about 35 degs AOA).
-Another is when

PA Mode
With PA mode, your flight control stick now tells the FCS to adjust the elevators to maintain a certain Angle of Attack.

Pitch Auto Trim
IN UA Mode, the FCS also works to automatically trim the jet to 1.0 G when no control input is detected from the pilot.  Trim has to be set to neutral (0) for for this.  Any nose up or nose down trim will bias the system to stabilize with greater that 1.0G (NU), or or less than 1.0G (ND) trim.  In PA Mode, the FCS works to use trim to maintain the trimmed AOA.

The FCS also controls the ailerons for roll control and also the rudders to automatically keep the aircraft coordinated during turns.

FLAP CONTROL
The FCS also controls the leading and trailing edge flaps.  The FCS controls their scheduling based on flap switch position, airspeed and angle of attack.

AUTO THROTTLE
The FCS.dll for this jet also controls the Powered Approach Auto Throttle logic that attempts to maintain the jet at optimal AOA/Landing Speed when Auto Throttle is engaged while in PA Mode.

NOSEWHEEL STEERING
Lastly, the FCS.dll controls the Low and Hi Nosewheel steering, switching to a higher caster angle when airspeed is below 10 KIAS (i think).  This allows for sharper turns while taxiing at lower speeds and more stability during higher speeds.

......................................................................exhales....................................................................

Probably more than you were looking for, but that pretty much sums up what the FCS is and what it does for our jet.  All credit goes to ORION and his awesome math and C++ coding abilities for this awesome gauge!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:23:30 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

expat

« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2018, 09:47:00 am »
Hugely helpful - thanks! 

And, I noticed the effects you describe of FCS immediately in flight, the auto trim in particular works well and is useful.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2018, 12:30:10 am »
I GOT, I GOT IT!!!! I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!

Somehow, of all things, my FSUIPC got corrupted. I didn't see it in the ADD-ONS menu. I don't even recall why I was looking there. I ran it's installer again, and LO!!, no more FCS FAIL:P  8)
Oddly, all my other planes, not that I have a ton of them but still, never had a bit of trouble, and I am certain some of them, and their gauges, use FSUIPC also.
I will go on a thorough test flight of the v18.3 tonight, and see how she flies. I am SO HAPPY!!  ;D

I can't thank you all enough for your assistance in this little situation, I really can't. My flight sim world is back on an even keel, and the seas and skies look clear, smooth, and ready to accept this incredible bird once again.

In some time, not for a couple weeks, I'll try and figure out my FSUIPC's problem. I'll report on what I dig up, just in case anyone else runs into this odd little piece of trouble. I have a sneaking hunch it has to do with an update I may have done, but I'm not going to say anything until I know for certain.

I'm going flying!!
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2018, 05:01:12 am »
Outstanding!  Glad you found the culprit.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2018, 07:15:53 am »
Outstanding!  Glad you found the culprit.
Heh! You think you are?  :D

Thanks again for all the help, Jimi.
AND all the rest of you that had such great ideas.
I do sincerely appreciate it.

Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2018, 06:48:17 am »
Lol, wish I can I helped, but that was all you bud. Definitely learned something new with this one. Thanks again for keeping us updated.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

D5turbi

« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2018, 01:56:55 pm »
@jimi08

"AUTO THROTTLE
The FCS.dll for this jet also controls the Powered Approach Auto Throttle logic that attempts to maintain the jet at optimal AOA/Landing Speed when Auto Throttle is engaged while in PA Mode."

How can I "engaged" the Auto Throttle ?

Jean

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2018, 07:59:07 pm »
Cntl + R. Should get a "ATC" indication on the lower right side in you HUD.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Ah-Menace

« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2018, 09:51:43 pm »
Hey Gents,
     Long time no talk to. I'm really enjoying the new jet like the rest of you guys and this question is for Jimi. Hey bro, is there a ETA on the release for the fix for the Blues airbrake fix? I think it's in the Blues cockpit model. reason being, is when you deploy the airbrake you don't get the indication light on the left of the UFC and it doesn't seat completely down but the tactical models do. I've tried the Charlie and Delta pits. I was just wondering if you've fixed it yet, because I mainly fly Blue #7. O, and I also wanna know can you increase the sound files? They're waaay lower than the Acceleration Hornet. Thanks again for this great jet you've given us bro!!

D5turbi

« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2018, 08:59:39 am »
Cntl + R. Should get a "ATC" indication on the lower right side in you HUD.

Thank you jimi08. I will try this  ;)

P.S. :
It did not work. Maybe I'm not in the right flight settings? (Not in PA mode ?)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:47:21 am by D5turbi »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2018, 12:00:58 pm »

It did not work. Maybe I'm not in the right flight settings? (Not in PA mode ?)

Try SHIFT + R instead...

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

PhantomTweak

« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2018, 08:23:16 pm »
I use SHFT+R and it works for me.
Assuming you're in PA mode. Full flaps, gear down, speed correct for the plane's current gross weight, trim at 8.1°, which it SHOULD do automatically for you. AOA somewhere close to optimum. I usually don't switch on the ATC until I'm on downwind, and everything else is already set.
Remember, in ATC mode, you adjust the glide slope with the pitch angle, using the stick, rather than the throttle, like usual. It can be hard to get used to, if you're used to the usual approach method of pretty much leaving the pitch angle set, and adjusting your sink rate with the throttle.

Good luck!
Pat☺

D5turbi

« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2018, 11:06:13 am »
Thanks jimi08 and Pat.
Shift + R works.
But, although I'm in the parameters (flaps, speed, angle of attack, gear and hook down) the PA mode does not seem to be activated.
For me, it is easier to make corrections with pitch and throttle.

Jean