Author Topic: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET  (Read 282935 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2018, 12:00:37 am »
Thanks for the heads up Pat.  Have you tried installing the C++ as administrator?

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2018, 07:45:57 am »
That's the only way I run software, as Admin. Installation programs, 7Zip extractions ( well, 7Zip program, anyway  :D ), FSX:SE, you name it. If I "run" it, I run it as admin. Invariably.  :)

I did run into one interesting thing, though, that I don't recall when I first installed C++ Redist. 2015. It wouldn't run, at all, unless I ran it as Windows 7 compatible. I seem to recall being able to just run the installer before. This time I had to select Win7 Compatible before the installers would even try to run. When I set the compatibility, I also selected Run As Admin. Was that insufficient?
I can try uninstalling and re-installing it again, but this time rclicking the installer and selecting the Run as Admin choice.

I'm up for trying anything, now. I miss my Hornet!!  :'(
It is SO much fun to fly, and all this messing around is really getting annoying.  :P

Thanks for any and all help, I really appreciate it.
Pat☺

cobrales

« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2018, 04:46:43 pm »
v 18.3

win10
FSX             ok
FSX Steam   ok

winXP
FSX            FCS FAIL
FSX Steam  FCS FAIL

PhantomTweak

« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2018, 08:53:45 pm »
Thanks Cobra.
I have Win7, if it matters, and am getting the FCS FAIL message too.
I only have FSX:SE, so I can't say if FSX (not SE) has the same problem, but I'm going to presume...

Thanks for the info, Cobra. At least I'm not the only one  :P
Pat☺

marknie

« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2018, 07:02:13 am »
In P3D V4.2 also getting a FCS Fail in HUD.  Weird. . .  Great plane though!
Capn Mark Niebauer

PhantomTweak

« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2018, 08:05:28 am »
I hate to say it, but given the variety of platforms, and OS's, that seem to be having the same problems, I have to wonder if it's not something with the newer version of the HornetFCS.dll?

I can't think of what I'm missing. Could the F-18.dll have gotten corrupted somehow?
I even went through the FSX.cfg file, and got rid of all the old HornetFCS.dll entries under the [trusted] heading. I made it re-accept the HornetFCS.dll. Just in case it was trying to use an older version that no longer existed. No help.
I went into the gauges folder, and deleted the HornetFCS.dll there, no help.

My next step is go back to the previous, lengthy, thread, and downloading the "updated" HornetFSC file and trying that, just in case. Maybe it'll work, at least for the FSX versions...

We'll get it, you all wait and see! Now, I'm really wishing I were a .dll programmer :D
Pat☺

marknie

« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2018, 08:35:43 pm »
Since I put the older one in, the problem went away . .
Capn Mark Niebauer

PhantomTweak

« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »
Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea then!

I can't get to it right this minute. Today I get to get the weed-whacker going for the summer. Weeee-HA!
It died last fall. Won't start. So I'm going to strip it, clean the carb, readjust the mixture, since we're up at 5,000' MSL.
Not supposed to, but I aint gonna pay someone to do something that simple.
Heck, just move the mixture lever, set the prop to the right RPM...
Oh, wait, this isn't an airplane, is it? Darn... ::)

Have fun all!
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34:10 pm »
Pat,

Orion brought up an idea, maybe reset your FSX.cfg by deleting it in AppData/Roaming etc, fire up FSX and let it create a new one, and see if it asks you to run the gauges.  Make sure to click yes.

Other than that make sure that you are using the 32 bit FCS file and not 64 bit.  Pretty sure you've done this already, but doesn't hurt to check again.

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Oliver

« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2018, 06:47:43 pm »
Jimi,

first off congrats and thank you very much to you and the team for the outstanding effort you are putting into this aircraft and
for making at available for free!
I've encountered one issue (maybe or probably its just me acting dumb ;) using the new version 18.3 in FSX SE.
So far I've been unable to bring up the ILS / TCN for Javier's Nimitz carrier which I added into FSX via the aicarriers.net software.

Somehow I can't get the "OF" in front of the freq on the UFC to turn into "ON".
I did the following steps on the UFC, press TCN,  press 11200 , press ENT and  additionally on the HSI MFD I selected the TCN softkey.
But the frequency stays "OF" and no needles are displayed.
I also tried entering 57X instead of 11200, same result, "OF" and also tried ILS instead of TCN selection.

Probably I'm missing something obvious, but could someone kindly provide a short step by step walkthrough on how to get this going?
Selecting a landbased VOR by using the above method works fine, OF is replaced by ON and the HSI shows bearing and HUD pointer
appears along with DME info.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Kind regards,

Oliver

PhantomTweak

« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2018, 09:59:56 pm »
Hi, Oliver :D
Just so you know, the various carriers TACAN channel never show "ON" on the UFC. They work, they just don't show the "ON" you're looking for.
Did you turn the ILS needles on on the HUD Control Panel? They're off by default in this version. You can have them ON by default if you want to edit the correct .ini file. I can tell you how, if you desire. But as it stands, you have to call up the HCP, SHFT+2, and click the ILS button so the upper half of the button is illuminated.
They also only show if you are within 15° of the "runway", horizontally and vertically, and inside 15 NMi. range.
A great way to tell if the plane is picking up the carrier is to look on the HUD for the TCN range indication to appear on the HUD, lower right side. Also, the NAV1 needle on the HCP will be "hunting", or jumping very rapidly back and forth without you touching the knob. Of course, you must have NAV1 selected as your source. The toggle switch above the NAV select knobs on the HCP. It should have NAV1 as it's default, but if you're not sure, click it though it's cycle a couple times, making sure it lands on NAV1.

Hope this helps a little...
Pat☺

PS: Jimi, thanks for the advice. I will try it ASAP. Although I am NOT looking forward to adding back in all the changes I've made to it over the years :o
Cut-n-paste is my friend  :D
I have been having a small problem with the Social Security admin, so I've been spending time focused on that. Once I get that squared away, I'll be able to focus better on this great plane.
Thanks again!
Pat☺
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:06:58 pm by PhantomTweak »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:19 pm »
PAT,

Copy all.  Good luck.

OLIVER,

Thanks for the good words, I'll be sure to pass them along!  In regards to your observations, thanks!  I'll put in on my "Fix List".  Hopefully it will get fix and incorporated in the next release.

Thanks again!

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Azframer

« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2018, 02:00:56 am »
Pat before you delete your config change .cfg to .txt. same as deleting but saves your config to .txt in case it does not work. You can delete new config and go back to the old.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:02 am »
That's what I did, Az.
Well, similar, with the same effect. Changed the name to FSX_HORNET_TEST.cfg.

Now, this is where things got weird.
The sim made the new fsx.cfg, as expected. All default settings. No problems so far.
I got in, changed the display resolution to match my desktop's resolution. Got all the other settings where I like them. Called up the FSXBA Hornet, as usual. It loaded up, no trouble.
AND no asking if I want to permit the HornetFCS.dll, or the dsd_sound gauge.
I opened the newly made fsx.cfg file, and lo! The [trusted] section was just chock full of existent gauges, including the HornetFCS.dll, and a number of others. None of which were I queried about. The sim apparently "assumed" I would approve all these gauge files, and just went ahead and added them to the fsx.cfg file all on it's own!

Ok, well, this is weird. I am now running the file verification Steam provides. We will see what happens. I checked though, and while it approved the HornetFCS.dll all on it's own, I STILL have the FCS FAIL message.

More to come on this little adventure as soon as I can.
I sure appreciate all the help and advice I am receiving, by the way.
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2018, 12:52:37 pm »
Pat,

In this case, delete all of the entries that contain the Hornet.dll, SAVE and re-open FSX...

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels