Author Topic: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET  (Read 283039 times)

PhantomTweak

Re: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 07:38:53 am »
I don't have time this second to run through the Sound.cfg file settings you need to change, but I'll do a write-up tomorow morning PDT, if that's OK.

As to the G situation: It's not this plane, it's integral (big word for the day :D ) to FSX. You'll get the same G effects whatever plane you're in. Give it a try in one of Dino's plane's if you don't believe me, or a WWII fighter, like the SOH F7F-3. You pull 5 G in any plane, you're going to black out. Nothing to be done about it, as far as I know, since Microsoft no longer supports FSX. You'll just have to keep and eye on the G meter displayed in the HUD, and if it get's much above 4, relax your pull a little.
Realistic? No, not really, especially in planes like the F-16, with it's laid-back seat, and these days of pilots being in much better shape than WWII, when they thought a pilots worth lay in how much he could drink, AND how many he shot down. But it's the way the sim is, live with it or not, it's up to you. I do, because I've learned to just relax a little, or just wait for the black to fade out. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best I can offer. But it's not just the FSX BA plane.
A small trick with FSX BA F/A-18 you can try is to call up SHFT-8, and try using the info it provides to fly the plane with, until the black fades out. With Dino's planes, you can call up an PFD as a pop-up, and I think it'll stay even if you G-LOC, so you can fly with it. I'll double check tonight to let you know.

Hope this helps a little. I'll put the Sound.cfg up tomorrow if you want.
Pat☺

EDIT: Ok, I checked Dino's F-14, and I was right. You can pop-up a PFD, actually an MFD with a PFD displayed on it, and if/when you G-LOC, or at least simulated G-LOC, you can fly the plane with it. It stays displayed normally, even when the rest blanks with the G effect. I'll wager his T-45 has the same thing. One thing about the PFD, though: It displays the horizon a bit higher than it should. Doesn't match the HUD exactly. You need to put the waterline on it about 1° below the horizon to get a 0 vertical speed.
Thought you might like to know.
If you wanted, you could probably make a similar set-up in the Hornet. Just make an MFD a pop-up in the 2D panel, set it as a HUD repeater or PFD and then pull all the G you want. The plane can take more than you can :D
Just don't fold the wings up. Makes ejection a triffle tough...
Pat☺
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:34:51 am by PhantomTweak »

armenius

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 08:04:45 pm »
Thank you for the info, whenever you have time to write up that sound.cfg mod will be fine. When you said the G-effect is integral to FSX..I had a moment! I never experienced this with other jets in my fleet. But, I recently built a high end system and upgraded my SP2 FSX to Acceleration. I have been doing mostly air base design work with some test flying..solely using this F-18. Looked in my FSX settings/realism, and there it was in special effects..G-effects. De-selected it and went out and did some 7.5 G maneuvers..Sweet. Issue solved.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »
Well, I am glad you got the G effect sorted! I never thought about turning it off. I was thinking in terms of changing the values :)

As to the Sound.cfg: I'm afraid real life is getting in the way right at the moment. I'll write it up just as soon as I can. Maybe tonight, or tomorrow AM. My lovely wife and her honey-do's come first :D

Enjoy! I sure do :D
Pat☺

AvgeekJoe

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 10:27:49 pm »
jimi08, I'm working closely with Haze Gray Studios in developing Fleet Traffic:  US Navy.  We're just about ready to release into the world having the modern US Navy fleet in FSX & P3D.  OK to please use your Hornet in our promo video?

Joe A. Kunzler
growlernoise@gmail.com

Azframer

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 11:40:35 pm »
jimi08, I'm working closely with Haze Gray Studios in developing Fleet Traffic:  US Navy.  We're just about ready to release into the world having the modern US Navy fleet in FSX & P3D.  OK to please use your Hornet in our promo video?

Joe A. Kunzler
growlernoise@gmail.com
My bet he is not going to have a problem with it. Is it freeware or payware?

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 04:17:59 am »
Joe,

Awesome and permission granted!  Good luck with your product!

Joe A. Kunzler
growlernoise@gmail.com
My bet he is not going to have a problem with it. Is it freeware or payware?

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:33 pm »
OK. A quick How-to on changing how the sounds "appear" in the cockpit, vice the outside view.
I apologize if anything is over-explained, or stuff you already know, but better too much info than not enough.

First, always, ALWAYS make a back-up of ANY file you're going to edit BEFORE you start. This is vital, in case things go totally south, so you can return things to a starting point. Make another back-up for every time you change something, so you don't have to start over from a point long behind you.
Second, ONLY open .cfg files with NotePad, included with Windows. Other word processors add symbols to the files which make them useless to the sim.

Go to the \sound folder of the plane you want to change. Like D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_17.1.31\sound , just for example. Open the sound.cfg file. Here's where it get's complicated, although not too much.

Look down through the file for the kind of sound you want to change. You specified the jet whine, so in this case, look down through the various sections for things like this: [whine_12]
Under that heading, look for a line that reads: viewpoint=1 Note the number 1. This indicates "inside the cockpit" type of view point.
Once you've found a section with those two conditions met, look for the line in that section:
vparams=0.00,0.00,0.21,0.00,0.27,17.00,0.35,18.00,0.40,7.00,0.50,0.00,1.00,0.00,1.00,0.00

This line is made up of 5 pairs of values. The first in each pair is the point in the variable's range and the second is the relative sound volume.
The second value is a percentage. Anything over 1.0, or 100% is read as a 1, again, 100%. Can't go higher than that. Change the second value of each pair up by a certain amount. Say .05 or there-abouts. Only change ONE vparams line at a time, so you can keep track of the changes you've made.

NOTE: you can play the sound the sound.cfg calls out to see if is what you might want. In this case, the file called for in the specified section is filename=x_whine_12  . Just look in the \Sound folder for that file, and double click on it. Windows will play the sound file with that name for you, so you can hear it. Handy to preview a sound file to see if it's the one you want.

Save the file off, reload the plane, and test to see how it sounds to you. You can close the file, or leave it open for editing, as long as you make certain it gets saved off.
A good way to reload the plane is to assign a key to "Reload User Aircraft".
NOTE: If you are going to use this key assignment, you need to make sure ALL AI traffic sliders are full left, or zero percent. If there are AI craft present in the world, whether aircraft, boats, cars, whatever, it can have haphazard, unpredictable effects on the reloading of your aircraft.
Another way is to select another aircraft from the normal pull-down menu. Not just another paint of the same plane, but a totally different aircraft. Like go from the F/A-18 to a Cessna 175, and then back again.
Finally, you can also select End Flight, let it exit out to the Free Flight screen, and then back in again.

This takes a little time to accomplish, but it will achieve the desired results.
Sorry I took so long to get it posted. Real life interferes...

Good luck, and enjoy!
Pat☺

armenius

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 01:38:48 am »
Thanks for the time to explain this sound cfg issue, its very much appreciated. So, spent some time looking all the entries over and then listening to the various sound files. Rather than make endless changes and testing them out I decide to try a different approach. Noticed there were only 8 combustion and whine entries for viewpoint 1 versus 20 for viewpoint 2.  Added first 5 lines of combustion and whine entries and made new viewpoint 1 entries, renumbering them. Excellent results!! Now I have all the changes in throttle position audible in the cockpit, with just a minor reduction in sound volume. Worked out great. This how it should sound. Thanks again.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 07:34:13 am »
Glad I could help. Hope you enjoy!

I have never been a Hornet, especially never been in one with the engine(s) running, so I can't speak to what you should and shouldn't be able to hear through a helmet and ear plugs. F-4's, yes, Hornets, no. It may have been 100% accurate, for all I know. But hey, if you're happy, THAT's what counts, no?

By the way, remind to tell you sometime about the really funny, but somewhat rotten, trick you can pull on a brake rider at high-power, with the Phantom's engines. ONCE.
It's actually really funny, if it doesn't happen to you :D

Enjoy!
Pat☺

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 11:43:10 am »
I second that.
Incidentally, on the VRS forums there was a discussion on pilot's noise perception. It's very short because of this answer of an active SuperHornet pilot:

The engines are almost silent once the canopy is closed compared to the sound of the Avionics cooling fans and the ECS. On the ground you'll hear the high pitch whine when you increase throttle very quietly in the background (likely because the sound is magnified by bouncing off the deck), and also on final approach as you get within about a hundred feet of the ground you'll start to hear power changes a little more.

During up and away flight though the engines are definitely the most quiet sound in the cockpit. I've had to reset the electrical system on deck a few times (both generators and battery off) and the first thought I had was that both engines had shut down. It's eerie.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

PhantomTweak

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 08:26:57 pm »
Well, that answers that, doesn't it?
Thank you very much Paddles! Now we know, as the saying goes.  :D

But hey, it's a sim, after all. If Mr. Armenius is happy with hearing the engine whine in the cockpit, more power to him. If it's realism he wants, maybe a way to kick up the ECS and Avionics cooling fans a little would be the key, as the article Mr. Paddles posted so kindly points out. But the default download is pretty quiet in the cockpit, which started this discussion in the first place. :)

Anyway, as long a one enjoys the plane, and I sure do, that's what counts.
Pat☺

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 10:35:05 am »
Yes indeedy!  ;D
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Kea

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 08:14:08 am »
Hi all.

It's been a while but I've recently been chipping away at doing a minor aesthetic upgrade to the Delta. It's essentially the same as the old 15.6 but it now has the most recent C modifications incorporated (weapons and avionics). Some points to note:

1. This is a single-cockpit "Fleet" version. It doesn't replace the BA version - however I have included the BA D interior mdl in case anyone prefers to fly with two pits, despite the front office being covered in BA junk. I recommend keeping the old BA version separate.
2. For some reason, the speed brake doesn't fully retract in-flight, and will only fully close when you've completely stopped. I don't know how to fix that.
3. Weapons are the same as the C, and viewable from inside the cockpit. The wingtip AIM-9s will disappear and re-appear on wing-fold, just not instantly.
4. There doesn't seem to be any other HUD mode except NAV (so no CDIP or other weapon modes come up when selecting weapons). I don't know why this is, and it seems to happen on my C model too.
5. The centerline tank is fixed. You will always have to fly with it. I've tried many things but cannot correct this without a full decompile of the model, which I am not inclined to attempt.

I've also included a few more paints - the four VMFA(AW) units still operating the D, along with all my old ones.

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_dQUpko7LxFgNMCE5V-2qypY4HIxVLv8

THERE IS ZERO SUPPORT FOR THIS. If I knew how to fix any bugs you find, I would have already.

Also, if anyone is interested, I've made some very basic conversions to AI for both the C and D but as tankers. Each carries five external tanks and by default come with a fixed drogue out the back of the center tank (you can remove the drogue by changing the models in the model.cfg). I've added them to my TacPack Tankers list and they seem to work alright. You should be able to add whatever paints you want by the usual methods, and be aware, these will probably show up on your Aircraft list because technically they are still flyable.

If you want the AI tankers, they are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UpXqhQoVJNJLD04CmG91Vs75ZVEw3o_E
[EDIT: put the wrong one up before - here is the correct one. The other one used the FSXBA .air file, which will make the model wobble crazily in the turn - this one uses the default FSX:A Hornet .air file which seems to be more stable]

Just dump them into your AI folder (if you have a separate one), or Misc, or Airplanes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:45:24 am by Kea »

Azframer

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 11:44:12 pm »
Thanks Kea for the Delta model. I know this question is about to show by a few in here because it happened to me and again the fix for the blue glowing cockpit will remain the same only for those who have it.
Blue Cockpit fix:
In your texture folder create a new folder, you don't have to rename it if you don't want to. Find a file named CP_F18_4_N and move it to the new folder and you will have corrected the problem.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:46:07 pm by Azframer »

snowbird13

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 04:27:33 am »
Thanks Kea for the Delta model. I know this question is about to show by a few in here because it happened to me and again the fix for the blue glowing cockpit will remain the same only for those who have it.
Blue Cockpit fix:
In your texture folder create a new folder, you don't have to rename it if you don't want to. Find a file named CP_F18_4_N and move it to the new folder and you will have corrected the problem.

I tried putting the CP_F18_4_N into a new folder but it didn't work. Maybe I missed a step?