Author Topic: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET  (Read 285788 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2018, 02:24:57 pm »
Glad you got it working!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:50 pm »
Thanks for the update, Jimi!
I don't have P3D, of any flavor, but for those that do, it's looking great!

This new, improved, P3Dv4 version isn't backwards compatible, is it? Even if I have a 64-bit OS? I wouldn't think so, but hey, doesn't hurt to ask :D

Pat☺

Hey Pat, apologies for the late response, but I think MOST of it should be... You will have to use the FCS.dll file that you are currently using and a few things such as the terrain mapping radar might not work.  I have yet to test it in FSX.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 09:01:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Jimi!
I'll try it out asap and let you know what works and what doesn't.

Amazing bird, and every update makes it amazing-er. Not a word, but who cares :D
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2018, 11:56:51 pm »
Update: Still mostly working on HSI Displays and Radar Modes/Submodes.  Progress.....

Color Moving Map!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Amigo

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2018, 11:37:36 am »
Hi Jimi, hi all;
Since I installed Prepar3Dv3 I haven't worked with my favored F-18; very occasionally using it on FSX.
Instead I spent a year and more on F-22 and F-35; just because I did not trust myself of doing a flawless F-18 install.
Listening to our Forum members about their problems, different opinions and solutions scared me off even more. I did not like to take a chance in an unknown field.
I know a little about flying but for computer experiments with files and folder movements, I rather have somebody in the backseat.
Is there a safe way to success? What F-18 version goes with what Prepar3Dxx??
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Best regards, Amigo

PhantomTweak

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2018, 08:53:27 pm »
Is there a safe way to success? What F-18 version goes with what Prepar3Dxx??
IMHO, for whatever that's worth, the v17.1.31 is the one you want. The link to download it is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZcHVKUVczdm53Z1k/view .
It comes in an auto-installer, which does the work for you. Just tell it where your P3D root folder is, and let it go.
It will also install the required files the FCS needs to function. I'm not certain, but you may need to install the file Hornet_FCS.dll from FSX manually, but I think, think I say, that it installs the correct .dll for you. If not, the newer, correct, version is available here on this thread someplace. It's .zip file comes with complete instructions on how-to, where-to, etc etc. It's actually a very simple process. If you get an FCS FAILURE notification, a green bar across the top of the screen with red letters, when you go to try and fly it, and blank MFD displays, then you need it. If you do, I will dig up the link for you if you want.
It will install the necessary .NET Framework as well, but a note on that: It may appear, during that install, to be frozen, or locked up. It is not. Just let it run, and it will finish in it's own good time. I've seen it take up to 15-20 minutes to finish. Just go get some coffee, or take a walk or something.

Hope this helps out a little bit. It's really a great plane. Flies like a dream.

Now, on another note, Mr. Jimi, sir: I'm doing some work learning to code in XML. I'm trying to start simple. I want to see how the Anti-Skid switch coding looks, ie: How YOU all coded it, but I can't seem to find it. I have a bad feeling that it's in the .dll the plane uses. If it is, I will work on finding code like it someplace else. I just want to, not copy, but look and see, so I can learn to do the same sort of thing. Maybe with light switches, or other type circuits. I am just curious.
Like I say, if it's not available to look at, I'll find something else to work with.

Thanks in advance!
Good luck, and I'm glad the v18.something is progressing so  nicely :D
Pat☺

Amigo

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2018, 04:36:11 am »
Pat;
Thanks a lot for your instant reply and your kind attempt to boost up my confidence in an installation process.
However, I did download version 17.1.31 already a year ago or so; but did not install it for the mentioned reasons.
Thank you for your confirmation that 17.1.31 is the correct version for an auto install on Prepar3Dv3.
I might go ahead and give it a shot while hoping Murphy stays out of reach.
Best regards, Amigo

PhantomTweak

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10:06 pm »
I forgot to mention: When you run the autoinstaller, make sure you select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Extract it from the zip file, right-click on it, and select the Run As Admin choice. About the 3rd or so choice down the menu that opens when you rclick the .exe file.

Good luck to you, and here's hoping Murphy stays far away from you :D
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2018, 01:47:09 pm »
Now, on another note, Mr. Jimi, sir: I'm doing some work learning to code in XML. I'm trying to start simple. I want to see how the Anti-Skid switch coding looks, ie: How YOU all coded it, but I can't seem to find it. I have a bad feeling that it's in the .dll the plane uses. If it is, I will work on finding code like it someplace else. I just want to, not copy, but look and see, so I can learn to do the same sort of thing. Maybe with light switches, or other type circuits. I am just curious.
Like I say, if it's not available to look at, I'll find something else to work with.

Hey Pat,

First off, copy all you want.  This project has definitely taught me a lot and hopefully it will teach you and others as well.  Not all of it is my code so just make sure to give credit where it's due.

To monitor a gauge...

That being said, there are a few references/sources you will need to code in FSX.  The first is the list of Simulation Variables or SIMVARs for short.  You can find them in the SDK, or by simply doing a Google search for "FSX SIMVARs" or "P3D SIMVARs".  Here's the link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526981.aspx . From there, a spreadsheet of the variables should show up.  These are all of the variables that are being actively monitored within the sim.

In the FSX XML, the standard format for writing a SIMVAR is as follows:
(VAR Type, Actual Variable being monitored, Unit of measurement)

Take the Simvar for Pressure Altitude for example, it would look like this:
Code: [Select]
(A:PRESSURE ALTITUDE, feet)A = Indicates SIM Var from the AIRCRAFT.  E: is for ENVIRONMENTAL data such as computer, server or sim time etc.  P: is for PROGRAM data such as Sim Rate.  Most of the time, you will be dealing with "A" Variables.

PRESSURE ALTITUDE = The actual condition that you want to monitor.  This is listed in the "Simulation Variable" column of the SIMVAR chart as described above.

feet = The unit of measurement of the variable you are monitoring.  For the above, it will display numerical results in feet.  The standard unit used for each variable is usually listed next to the listed variable in the "Unit" column of the SIMVAR chart. If you wanted it in meters, simply replace "feet" with "meters".  If it's a digital function (on or off), "Bool" (short for Boolean) will work.  Your Anti-Skid switch would fall in this category.

So to wrap it all together to monitor your Anti-Skid switch, the code would look like this:
(A:ANTISKID BRAKES ACTIVE, Bool)Since we're monitoring the variable from the Airplane, "A:" was used, ANTISKID BRAKES ACTIVE and Bool were pulled from the SIMVAR list.

I usually use my "DATA GAUGE" (Shift+8) to monitor the states of certain Simulation Variables while working on certain gauge/functions.  The DataGuage.xml can be found in the Panel.Fleet/Gauges folder.  There is a lot going on in there if you open it, but basically all of the entries in there are the display parameters for the info on the screen and are paired.  The first entry shows the info to display the title of the variable (i.e.
<Gaugestring>Altitude</Gaugestring> ) , and the second grouping shows, the display parameters for the actual data from the simulation variable
<Gaugestring>%((i.e. (A:PRESSURE ALTITUDE, feet))3.1%</Gaugestring>).  To use the gauge, simply find a variable listed that you want to replace with yours, replace it with the variable you want to use, and also replace the title of that variable in the grouping above so you can easily find it.  Once you are done, save the file, reload the aircraft in the sim, press Shift+8 and look for your data.  For your Antiskid entry, and because it is a Boolean variable, it will return either a "1", indicating that the Antiskid brakes are active, or a "0" showing that they are inactive.

Now, that allows you to MONITOR something..... To get the sim to DO something is a little different....

Action items are known as "Key Events" in the sim, and there is a finite list of "doable" things in the sim.  That list is contained in another reference, and can be found through Google as well by searching "FSX Event IDs" or "P3D Event IDs". Linked at: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526980.aspx .

The standard for writing an Event ID is as follows:
(Trigger, Event Type, Event ID)

In practicality, it looks like this:
(&gt;K:ANTISKID_BRAKES_TOGGLE)or
(>K:ANTISKID_BRAKES_TOGGLE)
"&gt;" and ">" are the triggers and mean the same thing.  They basically tell the gauge to execute/assign what comes after it.

For the sim, "K" will always be used to indicate a key event and you can find the list of Event IDs at the last link provided above.

Tying it all together......

Now that you know how to MONITOR something and also to DO something, you can now create basic "IF/THEN" statements in XML.  This basically states that "IF all of these things are true, THEN do this action".
Basic structure for an XML IF/THEN Statement is as follows:

(A:Variable 1, unit) parameter
(Variable 2, unit) parameter and
(Variable 3 & so on, unit) parameter and
if{ (>K:Event_ID) } els { (>K:Other Event_ID) }

Few things to note here....
-I put parameter in the example above.  This is to define the specifics of your statement.  In the case of the previously used Altitude Variable, I might use one of the following to better define parameters for the gauge:
(A:PRESSURE ALTITUDE, feet) 10000 &lt; => This means that this IF statement rings "true" if the aircraft's pressure altitude is at 10000 feet and below.  "&lt" translates to "and less than" so literally "10000 feet and less than"

(A:PRESSURE ALTITUDE, feet) 10000 &gt; => This means that this IF statement rings "true" if the aircraft's pressure altitude is at 10000 feet and above.  "&gt" translates to "and greater than" so literally "10000 feet and greater than"

(A:PRESSURE ALTITUDE, feet) 10000 ==; => This means that this IF statement rings "true" if the aircraft's pressure altitude is equal 10000 feet exactly.  "==" translates to "equal to" so literally "10000 feet exactly"

-For Boolean variables, no entry behind the variable indicates that the variable rings "true" if the variable is active, while an exclamation point "!" indicates that the Boolean rings true if the variable is not active.  For example, the variable (A:SIM ON GROUND, bool).  Simply stating (A:SIM ON GROUND, bool) indicates that this variable rings true if the aircraft is on the ground. (A:SIM ON GROUND, bool) ! indicates that this variable rings true if the aircraft is airborne.

-If you are using more than one variable together to define your if statement, the word "and" or "&amp;&amp;" needs to be included at the end of the second stated variable and every subsequent variable to be included.  If it's an "either/or", then the word "or" or "||" needs to be included.

-"Els" or Else statements, are used to indicate something to do be done until all of your "if statements" ring true.  An example might be that you want a certain switch to only be activated under certain circumstances, but off under all other circumstances.

So as a final example I will do a basic if/then statement that instructs the sim to TOGGLE THE ANTISKID BRAKES if the sim detects the aircraft to be ON THE GROUND, BELOW 50 KNOTS, and only to toggle the Antiskid Brakes if they aren't already activated.

<Gauge:Example Antiskid Gauge>

<Element>
<Selection>
<Value>

(A:SIM ON GROUND, bool)                                    <!-- Monitors whether the aircraft is on the ground or in the air. Statement is true if the aircraft is on the ground. -->
(A:AIRSPEED INDICATED, knots) 50 &lt; and          <!-- Monitors the indicated airspeed of the aircraft.  Statement is true if the aircraft is below 50 KIAS. -->
(A:ANTISKID BRAKES ACTIVE, Bool) ! and              <!-- Monitors the status of the Antiskid Brakes.  Statement is true if Antiskid brakes are OFF/INACTIVE. -->
if{ (>K:ANTISKID_BRAKES_TOGGLE) }                  <!-- Tells the sim to toggle the antiskid brakes if all of the above statements are all true simultaneously. -->

</Value>
</Selection>
</Element>

</Gauge>

The last reference worth mentioning is the aircraft's "Modeldef".  From my understanding, it basically displays all of the variables and event that are "baked" into the 3D model of the jet.  Changing them would mean decompiling and recompiling the jet.  None the less, very useful reference, especially when trying to tie certain buttons or switches within the cockpit to your gauges for functionality.  Here you can see all of the great work that FSDreamTeam put into modeling the F/A-18 Cockpit.
Kinda a lengthy explanation, but that's all I got for now (lunch break is over).  That's the basics.  Let me know if you have more questions (as I'm sure you do) and I'll try my best to answer them.  My best advice is to open an existing gauge, make small changes to them and reload the aircraft to see how things work/change.  Once you get used to that, move on to bigger/better things....

-Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Amigo

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2018, 08:00:58 pm »
Pat;
I enjoyed Jimi's last, very interesting reply to you. I don't want to further clutter up his page with my stupid problems. Can I talk to you on a new page named; Murphy's Law?
Amigo

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2018, 09:20:13 pm »
Amigo,

No stupid problems here bud.  This is what the thread is for!  I've sent you a response on your new thread.  Good luck and let me know if it fixes anything.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2018, 11:22:44 pm »
***UPDATE***

Hey Gents,

Just uploaded the latest of the progress in reference to the P3Dv4 bird.

FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet 18.2 (P3Dv4)
link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cKFVqr_yBHzlTwlKEvq5Z2hEmanTk99t

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF):  Avionics on this new jet still not to the same level of functionality as the Acceleration F/A-18, but getting there quickly.  Big thanks again to Dino Cattaneo from IndiaFoxtrotEcho, Dave Brice from IRIS Simulations and Kea from the FSDT forums here for their help and guidance!

Updates include:
1. RADAR:  
-Working on 3 Air To Air (Range While Search (RWS), Track While Scan (TWS), Single Track (ST)) and 3 Air To Ground (MAP, GMT (Ground Moving Target (GMT), SEA) RADAR modes.  They are in "place" but filters still need to be turned, so as of now, they are not working as intended.  They do however detect and tract targets.  
-Range and Sweep settings work.
-For more information on the contacts, press the "DATA" button, located on the bottom right of the screen.

2.  ADI & HUD
-ADI and HUD pages are now fixed and added.

3. HSI Data Pages
-HSI GPS and TCN Information Pages have been added

4. FPAS Page
-FPAS Page has been updated.

5.  Re-added Textures
-By demand, all textures (80 of them!) have been added back to the pack.

6.  TACPACK
-TacPack is functional once again.

To Note....
-As I've said before, this is still a work in progress.  There are plenty of "kinks" in the system.  Call'em out as you see them.
-I have yet to "link" the avionics from one DDI to the next, meaning that they currently DO NOT share settings (with the exception of the SMS Page)

FSX Users....
This version should be FSX Compatible, the following changes are made:
1.  The FCS.dll from the 17.3.1 (located in the Panel.Fleet folder) needs to be placed in the Panel.Fleet and Panel.BA folders of the 18.2 version
2.  Doug Dawson's sound file, dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64, needs to be replaced with the dsd_fsx_xml_sound file which is also located in the 17.3.1's Panel.Fleet folder
3.  Line 20 of the Panel.cfg needs to be updated to reflect the change in Doug Dawson's sound file.  Save and close.
Change:
gauge20=dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64!Sound,  2,2,2,2, \Sound\Sound.iniTo:
gauge20=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound,  2,2,2,2, \Sound\Sound.ini
That should do it.  As usual, always welcome to suggestions and feedback.

-Jimi
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:41:10 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

gary20

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2018, 04:38:55 am »
Just downloaded and took it for a spin in P3Dv4 .... I'm speechless ... absolutely floored.

She's bloody awesome.

Tacpack is working a treat and all seems functional.
She flies like a dream.

Don't forget to copy the "HornetFCS" files to the root "panel" folder if you're using her in P3Dv4.

Even took her for a spin in VR ... just incredible.

Thank you all, finally a working F-18 for P3Dv4 ....

Gary

PhantomTweak

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 07:43:58 am »
Holy cats, Jimi, I wasn't expecting all that!  :o

All I was thinking was a basic "Sure, go ahead! It's in..." or " No, that switch is part of the Hornet_FCS.dll file...". I wasn't thinking a full XML lesson, but I most deeply and sincerely appreciate it!

That will be a huge help as I really embark on this little adventure. I just hope my little pea-brain can take it  ???  :D
I have cut-n-pasted that off to a document on my HD for quick reference. I've also got the XML lessons and reference stuff Orion linked for me last year some time. I just didn't have time then to dig too deeply into it. Now I do, and I'm gonna :)

Maybe someday I will be helping code switches and gauges for the FSDTeam. Who knows?

Thanks again!

Gary, glad you got it going in P3D. The gauges and so on are very, very impressive, no question, but to me it's the FDE that is just staggeringly good. No other plane in the sim-world can match it!

Have fun all!
Pat☺

micpni

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2018, 10:11:03 pm »
Thank you for this 18.2 version.

Can you have a look at the payload station because some of them exceed maximum name length of 15
station_name.0 to station_name.n :
This field is the string name that is used in the Payload dialog (15 character limit). Omission of this will result in a generic station name being used.
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php

It is possible to have kd_FX_seatRocket effect because it seems missing.

Best regards and good continuation for this beautifull work.
Michel