Author Topic: GSX Install Fails  (Read 4013 times)

FlyingAce

GSX Install Fails
« on: September 16, 2017, 01:49:00 pm »
I'm trying to install GSX following the installation of P3D v4 and FSUIPC5. But no success. I keep getting the following error (see attachment)

Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Install Fails
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:03:31 am »
Do what the message says, and Uninstall the previous version of SODE, which can be found in the Windows Control Panel as "Simobjects Display Engine"

GSX will then install the latest version, which as of today is 1.5.3.

FlyingAce

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:40 pm »
Done. I did what the message said and managed to install GSX. But, when I started the sim to see if it works, I was quite disappointed. When I press Ctl F12 the gsx menu comes up but it only offers me parking options. I cannot request pushback. (see attached).

Also, I read somewhere on the forum that once the new addon manager is installed, I should be able to migrate all previous airport installations to P3D v4. Well, that's not the case either. I had to download and install the airports new.

Tony
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 03:50:35 pm »
Done. I did what the message said and managed to install GSX. But, when I started the sim to see if it works, I was quite disappointed. When I press Ctl F12 the gsx menu comes up but it only offers me parking options. I cannot request pushback. (see attached).

You screenshot indicates GSX is working perfectly and it's installed correctly. If GSX thinks you are not parked, so it gives you a list of the parkings, it's because there's another AFCAD from another product in conflict, so GSX is reading the data from that one, instead the one that comes with the scenery.

The most common case of conflicting AFCADs are those coming from AI Traffic products, which contains files that should be used ONLY if you use the default scenery, but must be removed if you have an add-on airport.

You can check which is the offending AFCAD file, by selecting the "Customize airport position" menu from the GSX main menu. The window that will open will tell you the name of the AFCAD used by GSX in the top line.

Also, I read somewhere on the forum that once the new addon manager is installed, I should be able to migrate all previous airport installations to P3D v4. Well, that's not the case either. I had to download and install the airports new.

I can only confirm that all the previously installed airport WILL automatically migrate into P3D V4, assuming there was nothing wrong in your existing installation.

If migration did't succeed, the most likely cause was a problem in the scenery.cfg which had some kind of error, usually caused by having edited it by hand or by bugged installers of other products. But we obviously TRY to migrate, because for most of users that don't have problems in the scenery.cfg, the migration works and it saves them from having to redownload and reinstall all the sceneries.

FlyingAce

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 06:45:13 pm »
You can check which is the offending AFCAD file, by selecting the "Customize airport position" menu from the GSX main menu. The window that will open will tell you the name of the AFCAD used by GSX in the top line.

I installed P3Dv4 for the first time on September 16th, same day I started this topic. At the time this issue was occurring, I had only installed two other add-ons - GSX and Orbx. I can't remember in which order I installed them. But no other add-ons other than those two. In any case, you were correct. It appears as though GSX is reading an AFCAD from Orbx FTX Pacific Northwest. (See image). How do you recommend fixing this conflict?
Tony B.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 07:57:00 pm »
In any case, you were correct. It appears as though GSX is reading an AFCAD from Orbx FTX Pacific Northwest. (See image). How do you recommend fixing this conflict?

You probably installed the OrbX scenery last, so it went on an higher priority in the Scenery Library. As I've said in my previous message, the easiest way to fix AFCAD conflicts, is to remove the conflicting file.

Do this when the sim is not running, and then choose "Restart and Rebuild the airport cache" from the Couatl menu on the next startup.

FlyingAce

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 04:13:30 pm »
You probably installed the OrbX scenery last, so it went on an higher priority in the Scenery Library. As I've said in my previous message, the easiest way to fix AFCAD conflicts, is to remove the conflicting file.

Do this when the sim is not running, and then choose "Restart and Rebuild the airport cache" from the Couatl menu on the next startup.

I uninstalled GSX and reinstalled it so that it is "now" the last scenery installed after Orbx, yet the same problem continues to happen. According to your last reply, if Orbx is no longer the last scenery installed then this shouldn't happen. So why is it?

Although removing the conflicting file would work, I don't understand why that action is even needed in the first place. If your installer works the way it should, that wouldn't be necessary. But of course, you're going to tell us, yet once again, how your software is perfect, that there is nothing wrong with it, and how the problem lies with everything else other than FSDT.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:53:29 pm by FlyingAce »
Tony B.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:48 pm »
  Read Umberto's last post that you quoted again.  "You probably installed the OrbX scenery last, so it went on an higher priority in the Scenery Library. As I've said in my previous message, the easiest way to fix AFCAD conflicts, is to remove the conflicting file."

Reinstalling GSX isn't going to change anything to do with your issue. Do you have any other airport scenery for YVR installed? It looks like in the screenshot that you also have FSDT YVR. If you do have FSDT CYVR AS WELL AS FTX PNW, then you are going to have conflicting airport files from FTX PNW as removing those is not the job of the FSDT installer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 09:53:36 am »
I uninstalled GSX and reinstalled it so that it is "now" the last scenery installed after Orbx, yet the same problem continues to happen

GSX is NOT a scenery! If you wanted to do it in the hard way (instead of following my easiest solution of just removing the conflicting AFCAD from OrbX), you should have reinstalled CYVR last which IS a scenery, so it will be "the last scenery installed".

According to your last reply, if Orbx is no longer the last scenery installed then this shouldn't happen. So why is it?

According to my last reply, OrbX is STILL the last scenery installed, since you reinstalled GSX which, of course, is not a scenery so, nothing has changed in the Scenery Library priority.

I don't understand why that action is even needed in the first place

If you mean "manually removing the conflicting file from OrbX", that was just an EASIER solution to SAVE YOU from having to reinstall CYVR.

If your installer works the way it should, that wouldn't be necessary

The CYVR installer obviously works the way it should, so it will place itself on the highest layer automatically so, if you installed the Addons in the proper order, there wouldn't be any problem to begin with, because it should be common knowledge that airports should always be installed LAST, if you also have other scenery addons that cover the same area.

But of course, you're going to tell us, yet once again, how your software is perfect, that there is nothing wrong with it, and how the problem lies with everything else other than FSDT.

That's exactly what we found out just now.

The conflict it's obviously caused by OrbX and, as Dave_YVR correctly pointed out, it would be just wrong if we tried to fix all conflicts caused by other products by our own installers.

The sim support a layering system for a reason: in order to allow products that could potentially conflict with each other, to be moved up/down in the Scenery Library in order to minimize the chance of a conflict. GSX, of course, respects that order so, if you have OrbX on top of CYVR, it's entirely correct that GSX would use the OrbX AFCAD, if OrbX is on an higher layer than FSDT CYVR.

Since in P3D V4 it's not possible to reorder areas with the sim UI for sceneries installed in the native P3D way, that's why you must rely on the installation order, and always install the airports last, so they stay on top of everything else, which means you are reducing the chance to be victims of conflict caused by other products.

But again, my suggestion of removing *just* the AFCAD from OrbX, would have worked just the same, save you a lot of time for not having to reinstall CYVR just to change its priority, and it's better anyway, because even if you could have fixed the conflict by having CYVR on top of OrbX, the OrbX AFCAD would still be there, so the sim would still have to keep in memory two AFCADs for the same airport and, even if with 64 bit we don't risk OOMs anymore, having redundant files everywhere it's not a very good idea, since the number of .BGLs has an effect on startup time and RAM occupation.

FlyingAce

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 08:49:44 pm »
The sim support a layering system for a reason: in order to allow products that could potentially conflict with each other, to be moved up/down in the Scenery Library in order to minimize the chance of a conflict. GSX, of course, respects that order so, if you have OrbX on top of CYVR, it's entirely correct that GSX would use the OrbX AFCAD, if OrbX is on an higher layer than FSDT CYVR.

Since in P3D V4 it's not possible to reorder areas with the sim UI for sceneries installed in the native P3D way, that's why you must rely on the installation order, and always install the airports last, so they stay on top of everything else, which means you are reducing the chance to be victims of conflict caused by other products.

But again, my suggestion of removing *just* the AFCAD from OrbX, would have worked just the same, save you a lot of time for not having to reinstall CYVR just to change its priority, and it's better anyway, because even if you could have fixed the conflict by having CYVR on top of OrbX, the OrbX AFCAD would still be there, so the sim would still have to keep in memory two AFCADs for the same airport and, even if with 64 bit we don't risk OOMs anymore, having redundant files everywhere it's not a very good idea, since the number of .BGLs has an effect on startup time and RAM occupation.

Ok now that makes total sense and I retract my previous comment.
Tony B.