Author Topic: Elevation anomaly South of KMEM **SOLVED**  (Read 6087 times)

CaribbeanCLANK

Elevation anomaly South of KMEM **SOLVED**
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:35:55 am »
Good evening

While on final approach into KMEM tonight I crashed while at around 2000ft. I uninstalled then installed KMEM again and loaded up a default aircraft and lined up on 18C and took off flying the runway heading to see if I would crash in mid air again and I did.

I am running P3Dv4 with FTX Global and Open LC N. America installed. I am not sure what is causing this (FSDT KMEM or Orbx products) but any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I will also post on Orbx's support forums to see if this problem may be caused by their product.

Regards,
Anthony
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:35:20 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Elevation anomaly South of KMEM
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:48:37 am »
I am running P3Dv4 with FTX Global and Open LC N. America installed. I am not sure what is causing this (FSDT KMEM or Orbx products) but any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I will also post on Orbx's support forums to see if this problem may be caused by their product.

Yes, of course it's caused by OrbX. See here, which seem very similar to your screenshot:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13614.msg106582.html#msg106582

and here:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16273.msg116352.html#msg116352

CaribbeanCLANK

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »
And I don't have vectors so I will have to find out from Orbx how to fix this. Thanks for confirming virtuali.

CaribbeanCLANK

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:07 pm »
Good day virtuali

I checked with Orbx and was told this...

"Their administrator ignored the fact that you do not have Vector and advised you to disable AEC.

A search of an ORBX folder with all products installed to it, reveals that with the exception of Vector,
which you do not have, there are no files at all for KMEM.
I would suggest that you return to your topic at the FSDT forum and give the administrator this information."

You also redirected me to a topic which mostly discussed using Vectors to resolve certain elevation issues and I do not own Vectors.

Regards,
Anthony A. Moise

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 03:32:28 pm »
I checked with Orbx and was told this...

"Their administrator ignored the fact that you do not have Vector and advised you to disable AEC

This is just wrong. We haven't advised to disabled AEC. It was reported by other users or OrbX product that, since their AEC utility didn't support sceneries installed in the P3D way, it's possible you might have to configure it manually. I don't have anything from OrbX installed, so I'm only reporting what I was told by other users that said it was fixed.

A search of an ORBX folder with all products installed to it, reveals that with the exception of Vector, which you do not have, there are no files at all for KMEM.

You said you have FTX Global and Open LC N. America installed. To me, these seems two products that could affect an airport in N. America, especially the first one, which is a Global mesh so, even if OrbX said "there are no files at all for KMEM", it doesn't  obviously mean that a Global ( = "worldwide" ) mesh couldn't affect the area around KMEM, even if it doesn't have a file specifically related to KMEM.

That terrain spike surely doesn't happen with KMEM installed on the default scenery so, if it's not Vector, it's likely the FTX Global mesh.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:19:04 pm by virtuali »

CaribbeanCLANK

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 09:00:45 pm »
I am just trying to figure out what is wrong. I was only relaying what the gentleman on the Orbx forum said.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:18:07 pm by virtuali »

CaribbeanCLANK

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 07:50:56 pm »
Hi virtuali

I ran a couple test today and only found the elevation spike when KMEM was enabled. When it was disabled I could not find the anomaly. I also attached a screenshot of my world settings.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:19:15 pm by CaribbeanCLANK »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 09:57:04 am »
I ran a couple test today and only found the elevation spike when KMEM was enabled. When it was disabled I could not find the anomaly. I also attached a screenshot of my world settings.

Your mesh settings are too high. The KMEM manual says in the Design Notes at page 9, to keep the Mesh resolution at 5m/pixel at most, because setting it higher will cause visual artifacts, especially when using 3rd party mesh products.

There are no commercial meshes with a real resolution higher than 5m/pixel, but if you set it higher, you force the sim to oversample, which causes terrain spikes due to rounding errors. That spike is NOT present in the scenery, it happens in the sim when using a setting higher than the highest mesh you have in the sim, and it's also a waste of memory and resources, for no visual benefit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:09:53 pm by virtuali »

CaribbeanCLANK

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 03:31:45 pm »
Oh okay. Learn something every day. I will change the settings and test again.

CaribbeanCLANK

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 04:21:44 pm »
Good morning virtuali

I changed my Mesh resolution to 5m and could not find the elevation spike. I do appreciate the suggestion.

Best Regards,
Anthony Moise