Author Topic: Entries in addon.xml  (Read 3009 times)

ralfy124

Entries in addon.xml
« on: August 14, 2017, 09:27:42 pm »
I noticed that you put the files in the texture folder of your sceneries into the Global section of P3D v4 (at least with my installations) instead of letting them be as a subfolder (as is the scenery folder) like via the "old" Installation where you select the prior scenery folder in the scenery.cfg:

Your installation:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<SimBase.Document ID="add-on" Version="4,0" Type="AddOnXml">
<AddOn.Name>FsDreamTeam KLAS</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>FsDreamTeam Las Vegas McCarran International Airport scenery</AddOn.Description>
-<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Scenery</Category>
<Path>D:\AddOn Manager\FsDreamTeam\KLAS\Scenery</Path>
<Name>FsDreamTeam Las Vegas McCarran</Name>
<Layer>239</Layer>
</AddOn.Component>
-<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Texture</Category>
[color=orange]<Path>D:\AddOn Manager\FsDreamTeam\KLAS\Texture</Path>
<Type>GLOBAL</Type>
[/color]</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

My change in KLAX scenery as I understood the SDK from P3D v4

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<SimBase.Document ID="add-on" Version="4,0" Type="AddOnXml">
<AddOn.Name>FsDreamTeam KLAX_V2</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>FsDreamTeam Los Angeles International Airport scenery</AddOn.Description>
-<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Scenery</Category>
<Path>D:\AddOn Manager\FSdreamteam\KLAX_V2</Path>
<Name>FsDreamTeam Los Angeles</Name>
<Layer>239</Layer>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Both work fine so my question is will there be any advantage by putting the texture folder of the scenery in the global folder of P3D v4

Regards

Ralf

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Entries in addon.xml
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:50:48 am »
I noticed that you put the files in the texture folder of your sceneries into the Global section of P3D v4 (at least with my installations) instead of letting them be as a subfolder (as is the scenery folder) like via the "old" Installation where you select the prior scenery folder in the scenery.cfg:

We don't put any textures files in any folder of the sim. They are located in the \texture folder of the scenery, as they always were.

The Global keyword in the add-on.xml file doesn't mean the textures will "go" into the Global folder of the sim but, instead, will be accessible from objects not necessarily located in the \scenery folder of the scenery, which is the case of the Simobjects that calls them, which makes for 95% of the scenery objects.

I believe you think the Global keyword wasn't necessary because the texture still work, but that's just because the Simobjects have a fallback in their texture.cfg so, they will work regardless but, I guess that adding the texture folder of the scenery in the add-on.xml might be a bit faster than forcing the sim trying to open textures, not finding them, and then relying on the fallbacks on the texture.cfg file of every Simobject folder, open them individually, to finally find them.