Author Topic: Addon Manager installation locations  (Read 13803 times)

borisvp

Addon Manager installation locations
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:29:41 pm »
Good Day,

I have recently downloaded the latest Addon Manager and installed it, because the old one in my FSX installation was broken. I have FSX and P3D3 on 2 different hard disks. The installation went well and everything seems to be working again, but I noticed that it installed a couple of folders in c:\program files (X86)\Addon Manager which used to be in the respective sim folder:

• Effects (seems to be just a backup)
  • Flightbeam (with my FB sceneries in it)
  • Fs DreamTeam (as above)
  • Simobjects/Misc

Simultaneously, the respective files/folders were removed from the sim folder. On the first view, this is done because the sceneries can be used in FSX and P3D and need to be installed only once - but I do not want the scenery and simobject files on my system disk. Before somebody asks why - it has to do with my file and backup organisation, and my system SSD is not too big (doesn't have to be).

Are these files installed on the system drive on purpose or can I move them elsewhere and adjust the cfg paths accordingly?

Boris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager installation locations
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:57:27 am »
I noticed that it installed a couple of folders in c:\program files (X86)\Addon Manager

It has suggested a default installation location that, like any other Windows program out there, is under c:\program files (X86) but, of course, like any other Windows program out there, at that stage of the installation, it was waiting for you to confirm it so, if you didn't want to use the C: drive, you could simply have indicated a different drive to install into.

Of course, if you just click Next without changing the path, it will use the default one.

Are these files installed on the system drive on purpose or can I move them elsewhere and adjust the cfg paths accordingly?

As a general rule, for any Windows program, you should never, ever, move things manually, because you cannot possibly know what else might need to be changed and what other settings the software might need. That's what installers and uninstallers are for.

If you realized you made a mistake by accepting the default folder under c:\program files (X86), you can change it by doing the following:

- Uninstall ALL the sceneries you installed and reply Yes to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?". Replying YES to that question is what will make the Uninstall clear up your initial choice, and start afresh with the next installation.

- Reinstall ALL the sceneries, and be sure you select the drive folder you want to install into this time. If you select D:, for example, all files will be then installed into D:\Addon Manager, which is a perfectly fine location to use.

Before somebody asks why - it has to do with my file and backup organisation, and my system SSD is not too big (doesn't have to be).

That's precisely the point of our new installers which, instead of having to force you to install into the root of the sim, like they did in the past, now allows you to freely select any location, regardless where you installed your simulators. But of course, it will then up to you to choose the folder you want, or accept the default suggested location.

BuddyDog

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:48:54 am »
Ciao Umberto!

I ave been using your airports and GSX for many years in FSX and P3D v 3.4, but now i am moving to P3D v 4.  I have uninstalled v 3.4 already

In an effort to prevent problems on my end, I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could answer.

1.  I have uninstalled my FSDT and FB airports, which included removing the Add on Manager and COATL engine.  I still have the .xml "add on manager" in my "x86 program files".  Is it safe to delete that entry and start a new install, moving that to another location when add on manager asks for the location?

2. I have SODE 1.5.3 installed, do I need to uninstall then reinstall it after installing the KIAH and KLAS?

Thank you in advance for your time.  I really like the update you did for Las Vegas!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:16:53 am »
1.  I have uninstalled my FSDT and FB airports, which included removing the Add on Manager and COATL engine.

There wasn't any need to do that, because the P3D V4 installer would migrate all the existing installed sceneries and would remove the old addon manager from the old xml location.

However, no harm if you did it already.

I still have the .xml "add on manager" in my "x86 program files".  Is it safe to delete that entry and start a new install, moving that to another location when add on manager asks for the location?

This is not very clear. Please clarify what do you mean.

In any case, your are not supposed to have any xml file in the Program Files (x86) folder. You are not supposed to remove or delete anything manually. If something requires to be done, removed or changed, the installer will do it.

2. I have SODE 1.5.3 installed, do I need to uninstall then reinstall it after installing the KIAH and KLAS?

Since that's the latest version, it's not required to uninstall it.

BuddyDog

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:13:15 pm »
Thank you, Umberto for the prompt reply!

This is the entry I was referring to in my question:

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:58:34 am »
This is the entry I was referring to in my question

Ok, what I didn't understood was your reference to an ".xml addon manager" in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder, which seemed strange, since you are not supposed to have any .xml file there (which should be under Documents\Prepar3d v4 Addons" instead).

In any case, you should never delete anything manually.

The C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager folder is a perfectly fine location, which is why is default so, the only reason why you wouldn't want to use it, is if you know you won't have enough space on the C: drive to hold all the FSDT sceneries.

In that case, the proper procedure to "move" to another folder, if you changed your mind and want to use a different folder, is as follows:

- Uninstall ALL products (both from FSDT and Flightbeam) using the Addon Manager from the Windows Control Panel.

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?". THIS will clear the folder preference, allowing to select a new folder in the next installation, which will be then shared between all products using the Addon Manager.

- Reinstall everything, using only the current installers. Don't mix old and new installers.

BuddyDog

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 03:04:14 am »
Thank you Umberto, I will just leave it where it is, then.

CaptGreg

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 03:19:31 am »
Good Day,

I have recently downloaded the latest Addon Manager and installed it, because the old one in my FSX installation was broken. I have FSX and P3D3 on 2 different hard disks. The installation went well and everything seems to be working again, but I noticed that it installed a couple of folders in c:\program files (X86)\Addon Manager which used to be in the respective sim folder:

• Effects (seems to be just a backup)
  • Flightbeam (with my FB sceneries in it)
  • Fs DreamTeam (as above)
  • Simobjects/Misc

I've came across just the same issue  :-[
A path to a root folder of my FSX instance is:
X:\FSX
there are  subfolders where FSDT add-ons where installed initially:
X:\FSX\fsdreamteam\
X:\FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl\
X:\FSX\fsdreamteam\CYVR\
X:\FSX\fsdreamteam\KLAS\

I put the path to the root folder of my FSX instance - when the installation wizard asks.  
But the installer creates a subfolder X:\FSX\Addon Manager\  - and moves there those folders described by borisvp.
Well, Ok. I removed scenery and addon manager and Next time I made sure that there was no subfolder to create with the installation wizard.
But after the installation process had been complete folders of other FSDT and Flightbeam sceneries where moved somewhere else. As a result a have corrupted FSX instance.
What else do I have to do - to have my sceneries installed correctly?
What is the right way to install these addons?
As I said even If I specify the root folder of my FSX instance - the installer ignores the existing path to the couatl subfolder and sceneries subfolders.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:23:15 am by CaptGreg »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 10:22:33 am »
I put the path to the root folder of my FSX instance - when the installation wizard asks.  

The installer is NOT asking for the location of FSX!!!! If the installer were looking for FSX, there wouldn't be any need to ask you, since it knows very well where it's located, from the registry.

What the installer is asking at start, is the location for the FSDT product you are installing and that one, as with any Windows program out there, defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager.

Of course, like any other Windows program out there, the installer is also giving you the freedom to change the suggested installation path because so many users asked for the ability to install OUTSIDE the FSX. In fact, installing outside FSX, is probably the best choice so, you only had to ACCEPT the suggested default path under C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager.

Not that installing *inside* FSX, like you did, would cause "problems" but, it's not usually the best idea, since you are now given a choice.

But the installer creates a subfolder X:\FSX\Addon Manager\  - and moves there those folders described by borisvp.

That's precisely what the installer should do, when if finds FSDT sceneries installed using the "old" method. To SAVE you the hassle of requiring you to Uninstall them all, redownload them all and reinstall them all, it just "moves" them to the folder YOU chose when installing and updates their path in the scenery.cfg so, they will continue to work from the new location.

Well, Ok. I removed scenery and addon manager

Why you did that ? And how ?

and Next time I made sure that there was no subfolder to create with the installation wizard.

Again, why ?

But after the installation process had been complete folders of other FSDT and Flightbeam sceneries where moved somewhere else

They haven't been moved "somewhere else", they should have been moved to the new installation folder YOU chose.

As a result a have corrupted FSX instance.

No, you don't. You probably have a problem in your scenery.cfg, resulted from the mistake you did by assuming the installer did something "wrong" (it hasn't) and moved or removed things on your own.

You will probably have to do what we tried to save you from, if you just trusted the installer and didn't move things around:

- Uninstall all the FSDT/Flightbeam sceneries

- Download the current installers for all of them

- Reinstall all of them.

Accept the suggested folder, which is of course the most sensible choice, and DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING afterwards.

As I said even If I specify the root folder of my FSX instance - the installer ignores the existing path to the couatl subfolder and sceneries subfolders

First, as I've said, you are not supposed to specify the FSX folder. And, even if you are now the complete freedom to choose the installation folder, our sceneries must still stay together. That's why, in order to prevent you for making the mistake of installing a scenery in a folder, and another one in a different one, you are allowed to choose the installation folder only the FIRST time you run the installer. Then, the preference is saved, and subsequent installations will automatically go under the folder you chose initially.

In order to clear up your choice, when Uninstalling, you must reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?". This will clear your initial choice, allowing to choose the initial folder again.

It's enough to do this only for one Uninstall, but be sure you Uninstall ALL the sceneries now. And, be absolutely sure you reinstall them using only the updated installers, if you use an old installer after having used the new one, you will have to start from scratch again, Uninstalling everything and reinstalling everything.

CaptGreg

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 04:20:23 am »

Of course, like any other Windows program out there, the installer is also giving you the freedom to change the suggested installation path because so many users asked for the ability to install OUTSIDE the FSX.
I understand. To tell the truth I don't see a significant profit of the approach because FSDT (and FlightBeam) sceneries are very well-optimized and don't need as much disk space as a global photoscenery or a global mesh. But if many users ask for it - then this is a good Idea.

In fact, installing outside FSX, is probably the best choice so, you only had to ACCEPT the suggested default path under C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager.
this is not a good idea - install addons on the system volume. In my humble opinion of course.

you are now given a choice.

ok, I understand. This is, without any doubt, a good approach

That's precisely what the installer should do, when if finds FSDT sceneries installed using the "old" method. To SAVE you the hassle of requiring you to Uninstall them all, redownload them all and reinstall them all, it just "moves" them to the folder YOU chose when installing and updates their path in the scenery.cfg so, they will continue to work from the new location.

that is the root of the issue that I've faced: when I started my FSX after I've had installed a new scenery (with a new version of the addon manager), I got warning messages.
My apologizes for the Cyrillic. These are standard warning messages. They say that an error occurred in the scenery.cfg: the scenery folder for the Area.xxx isn't found:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

But after the installation process had been complete folders of other FSDT and Flightbeam sceneries where moved somewhere else
They haven't been moved "somewhere else", they should have been moved to the new installation folder YOU chose.
I understand. However I didn't found them installed in the folder that I chose. But I as to this aspect I agree with You: this is my own problem. I just was trying to troubleshoot the issue and at a moment It seemed to me that  I found a good way out, but further I made some mistake apparently.

As a result a have corrupted FSX instance.
No, you don't.
Yes I did. At first time, after I've had installed FSDT scenery I didn't change anything manually. I just stared my FSX and got a number of warning messages.

You probably have a problem in your scenery.cfg, resulted from the mistake you did by assuming the installer did something "wrong" (it hasn't) and moved or removed things on your own.
 Negative. As I said I didn't touch anything on my own after I've had installed a new FSDT scenery that I purchased  (KDWF, If I remember correctly) in addition to those that were purchased and installed previously. But further instead of the new scenery I've got warning messages.

You will probably have to do what we tried to save you from, if you just trusted the installer and didn't move things around:
Maybe this was my Karma and a bad day but somehow you made me to perform a troubleshooting.

- Uninstall all the FSDT/Flightbeam sceneries

- Download the current installers for all of them

- Reinstall all of them.

I'm affraid there is one additional step that I have to do: revert to a backup.

Accept the suggested folder, which is of course the most sensible choice, and DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING afterwards.
Of course you have your own reasons for that approach. However this is not a good Idea - to install any scenery addon on a system volume (where  C:\Program Files (x86)\ is located).

Uninstalling everything and reinstalling everything.

ok. tnx.

Just to make sure to avoid any further posts here: should I set the checkbox during a new installation process?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 04:51:32 am by CaptGreg »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 01:04:19 pm »
To tell the truth I don't see a significant profit of the approach because FSDT (and FlightBeam) sceneries are very well-optimized and don't need as much disk space as a global photoscenery or a global mesh. But if many users ask for it - then this is a good Idea.

Lots of users asked for this, usually because they have a rather smaller (and fast) SSD drive for the OS, and a larger drive JUST for the addons. Before, they couldn't install our sceneries as they would like to, now they can.

this is not a good idea - install addons on the system volume. In my humble opinion of course.

This is the official, standard, method suggested by Microsoft and used by ANY Windows program out there. But that's besides the point: it's JUST a default, that you can obviously change now.

My apologizes for the Cyrillic. These are standard warning messages. They say that an error occurred in the scenery.cfg: the scenery folder for the Area.xxx isn't found:

In order to "migrate" the paths in the scenery.cfg, it must be changed by the installer, to point to the new paths. However, it's possible that, if your existing scenery.cfg had an error, usually caused by having hand-edited it, the installer couldn't complete.

I understand. However I didn't found them installed in the folder that I chose.

That would be explained by the above theory of a pre-existing corrupted scenery.cfg, which resulted in the installation process not completing, because the scenery to migrate wasn't found or there was a problem processing the old scenery.cfg file.

Of course you have your own reasons for that approach. However this is not a good Idea - to install any scenery addon on a system volume (where  C:\Program Files (x86)\ is

As I've said, this is the universal standard for any 32 bit application, but it's just a default (used by every other Windows program out there), which you can obviously change.

And now that you CAN change it, installing UNDER the FSX folder, it's probably an even worse idea than installing into the system volume.

Just to make sure to avoid any further posts here: should I set the checkbox during a new installation process?

Yes, of course. If you don't check anything, it won't install into anything. The checkbox is there so, in case you have several simulators installed, you can choose NOT to install into one of them, should you have any reason to do that.

CaptGreg

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 10:14:38 pm »
Lots of users asked for this.

Very well, good for them :)

This is the official, standard, method suggested by Microsoft and used by ANY Windows program out there. But that's besides the point: it's JUST a default, that you can obviously change now.

OK. I understood: I'm allowed to change installation folder for a new build of the Addon Manager. But still a question: what must be happened with the previous build of the Addon Manager that has been installed on my system initially? Because as I notice It remains in it's original location \FSF_root_folder\fsdreamteam\couatl\.
Should I remove it before upgrade to the newest build?
Sorry for some ignorance :(
Is there a manual where these aspects are enlightened?
I just have a manual came with a build of March.

In order to "migrate" the paths in the scenery.cfg, it must be changed by the installer, to point to the new paths. However, it's possible that, if your existing scenery.cfg had an error, usually caused by having hand-edited it, the installer couldn't complete.
As I didn't change scenery.cfg manually, these warnings were totally unexpected for me (unpleasant either)

That would be explained by the above theory of a pre-existing corrupted scenery.cfg
hardly. I didn't get any errors or warnings before.
To tell the truth I have no wish to reproduce the issue once more. I'm too old for all this staff.. I like flying better than troubleshooting  :)
May be You are wright: I did sth wrong.
However I don't see anything wrong:
I installed new scenery, chose a folder for the new build of the addon manager as a subfolder in FSX root. End set the checkbox.
After the installation process had been finished I started FSX and got those warnings.
And further I started troubleshooting where I could do sth wrong.
But initial issue wasn't connect to a "manually-edited-scenery.cfg".

installing UNDER the FSX folder, it's probably an even worse idea than installing into the system volume.

Negative. Using a system volume to install addons has more cons than pros. It's getting harder to perform a system backup. Usually the system volume is pretty small relative to a HDD dedicated to flightsims. And any sceneries (especially - hi-res photo-real sceneries) are too large to be placed in a system volume.  
And I never have faced any issue using the FSX folder for any addons installation. Before the last week-end...

As I've said, this is the universal standard for any 32 bit application, but it's just a default (used by every other Windows program out there), which you can obviously change.
And now that you CAN change it,

Very well. It has sense.

Yes, of course. If you don't check anything, it won't install into anything. The checkbox is there so, in case you have several simulators installed, you can choose NOT to install into one of them, should you have any reason to do that.

All right, thank You!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:17:37 pm by CaptGreg »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 10:47:03 am »
But still a question: what must be happened with the previous build of the Addon Manager that has been installed on my system initially?

It will be removed by the new installer, so there's nothing you have to do.

Because as I notice It remains in it's original location \FSF_root_folder\fsdreamteam\couatl\.

It shouldn't. Unless you are referring to a NEW version of the Addon Manager that you installed there, by choosing the same folder used by the old version.

In this case, you won't even be ASKED for a new location on the next install, because the installer (the new one) saves your first choice, and won't allow you to change it at every installation: even if you are now free to install everywhere, the product must still stay together.

If you want to CHANGE the location for an already-installed Addon Manager (one that has been installed with the NEW installer), you must to as follows:

- Uninstall everything from FSDT, and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?". This will clear up your initial choice, and will allow you to choose a new folder for the next install.

As I didn't change scenery.cfg manually, these warnings were totally unexpected for me (unpleasant either)

Then it seems to indicate your scenery.cfg was already corrupted, so the installer couldn't opened it and update the paths. So, you should have accepted the suggestion from the sim to remove the orphaned areas.

Negative. Using a system volume to install addons has more cons than pros. It's getting harder to perform a system backup. Usually the system volume is pretty small relative to a HDD dedicated to flightsims. And any sceneries (especially - hi-res photo-real sceneries) are too large to be placed in a system volume.  

That's precisely what I've said, when I said that, thanks to our new installer, which lets you install everything OUTSIDE the root of the sim, you can achieve precisely what you are saying here.

Before, if you didn't want to "touch" your boot drive with FSX, you were forced to install FSX into a different drive. But what if the 2nd drive was a slower one, for example the very common situation of having 1 fast SSD with the OS and 1 large traditional HDD with the sim ? You were forced to load FSX from the slower drive.

The absolute best solution, for performances, assuming you have a larger and slower 2nd drive, is to:

- Install FSX in the default location under C:\Program Files (x86)

- Install all the addons that allows this in the 2nd drive

This will get the best possible performances, because the sim will start faster AND is loading its default textures landclass/autogen, and library model files (which are used *everywhere*) from the faster drive, while your scenery addons will load from the larger drive that, even if it's not as fast as the main one, won't be so much of a problem, since you are usually loading only one airport at the time.

It obviously makes sense to keep the things that are accessed most often in the fastest drive.

OF COURSE, if both your 1st and 2nd drive are fast SSDs, you can just ignore it, and install anywhere you want.

And I never have faced any issue using the FSX folder for any addons installation.

It depends where FSX is installed into. If FSX *itself* is installed into C:\Program Files (x86), you are going to get issues if just ONE of your addons doesn't fully respect UAC rules, and tries to write into its own folder that, as a sub-folder of C:\Program Files (x86), inherits the more restrictive permissions of it, compared to a folder which was created by the addon installer outside of the sim.

FSX:SE gets away with this, by always running in Admin mode, which is a bit of a trick, and it was made precisely to counter act badly programmed add-ons.

Of course, all our add-ons fully respect UAC, so they never tried to write anything in their own folder, and always used the %APPDATA% folder instead, like any proper UAC-respecting product so, it didn't matter if you installed them inside the sim.