Author Topic: incorrect character encoding **SOLVED**  (Read 3058 times)

jfail

incorrect character encoding **SOLVED**
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:50 pm »
I recently upgraded  to version 4 of Prepar3D.  When I installed the FSDreamTeam and FlightBeam products, KJFK V2,  KORD,,  KLAX  PHNL and KPHX I had no problem whatsoever installing them.  I did not check the scenery library because I didn't think it needed to be.  I use a add-on organizer for Prepare3D by Lorby (http://lorby-si.weebly.com/downloads.html). I did not use the add-on organizer to install the above files but used the normal installation procedure for them.

Today for the first time I looked at the scenery library using Prepar3D version 4 and I realized that the entries for the above airports were not in the scenery file which I thought to be very odd.  I then looked at the scenery library using a text editor and found that the entries still did not exist.  So I opened  the add-on organizer by Lorby, it showed all of the above mentioned airports but they were all highlighted as opposed to every other scenery entry which was a normal coloring.  So I ran a add-on organizer function called  "Check encoding errors". the organizer responded with the following files have "incorrect character encoding" which listed all of the FSDreamTeam and FlightBeam entries and no others.

Obviously, I have installed something incorrectly or there is some other kind of problem. I went on the FSDreamTeam website and re-downloaded all of the above files and installed them again. Everything seemed to install normally.  I then downloaded the latest version of the add-on manager from the FSDreamTeam website, ran it and that seemed to work normally.  I am still getting the same problem where the Prepar3D scenery editor does not show the entries nor does a text editor.

I also ran the "FSDT Live Update" and still have the same problem with the entries not appearing in the scenery.cfg file.

I am pretty confused by what I am seeing. Going to those airports within Prepar3D seems to be working normally but how come they do not show up in the scenery.CFG file.

Sorry if I am missing the obvious, I could sure use some help in understanding this.

Thanks for any input.

John
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:14:39 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: incorrect character encoding
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:14:32 pm »
So I ran a add-on organizer function called  "Check encoding errors". the organizer responded with the following files have "incorrect character encoding" which listed all of the FSDreamTeam and FlightBeam entries and no others.

That's obviously a fault of either that utility, of ANOTHER utility that might have mistakenly changed the encoding of the scenery.cfg. We do not change the file encoding of the scenery.cfg and, more precisely, we do not change the scenery.cfg AT ALL!

We use the proper SDK installation method, which mandates no scenery should use or access the scenery.cfg file anymore, so the sceneries are installed using the add-on.xml method.

The scenery is added to the scenery library (NOT the scenery.cfg!! ) by the sim itself, adding all the sceneries added using the add-on.xml method, to the ones already existing in the scenery.cfg, which we do not use anymore.

I am still getting the same problem where the Prepar3D scenery editor does not show the entries nor does a text editor. I also ran the "FSDT Live Update" and still have the same problem with the entries not appearing in the scenery.cfg file.

That's entirely normal. Your mistake was to assume our scenery should appear in the scenery.cfg, but that's not the case. In fact, a PROPER P3D V4 scenery, installed in the proper SDK way, should NEVER appear in the scenery.cfg, which according to LM guidelines, should not be touched by 3rd party installers.