Author Topic: Addon Manager sort of giving me a problem installing ZurichX into P3Dv4 **SOLVED  (Read 7005 times)

DavidJBecket

When I install ZurichX in my Scenery Library in P3Dv4 it appears grey out and looks like this "fsdreamteam ZurichX" but in the Addon Manager it does say it is installed and active. Now to get rid of the greyed out install, If  I go to Options/Add-ons and untick ZurichX then try and install it again using the normal method of where it is on my computer which is C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\ZurichX  I get "ZurichX" appear in my Scenery Library but Addon manager is saying it is Active but not installed. See pic two. I don't know how to fix it?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:53:30 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
When I install ZurichX in my Scenery Library in P3Dv4 it appears grey out and looks like this "fsdreamteam ZurichX" but in the Addon Manager it does say it is installed and active.

Why you think this is a "problem" ? This is how a scenery is supposed to look like

If  I go to Options/Add-ons and untick ZurichX then try and install it again using the normal method of where it is on my computer which is C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\ZurichX  I get "ZurichX" appear in my Scenery Library but Addon manager is saying it is Active but not installed. See pic two. I don't know how to fix it?

You are not supposed to touch anything, since the scenery works fine as installed.

Go back to the correct installation, which is the one made by the installer, which result in the scenery area *correctly* being greyed out, to indicate the scenery is not installed in the scenery.cfg and it's not disabled with the Scenery Library page, but it can be disabled from the "Options->Add-ons" page.

This the proper and most native way to install a scenery in P3D 3 and 4. The old method of installing everything in the scenery.cfg might be eventually phased out in future versions.

DavidJBecket

Ok So Be It. But None of my other scenery insists on not being moved to where ever I want to place it within my scenery Library. FSDT's  making it very difficult adding another complexity to adding scenery, it's going to put off many people from buying their scenery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
But None of my other scenery insists on not being moved to where ever I want to place it within my scenery Library.

That's just because only a few scenery developers have updated their installers to support the new and proper P3D installation method. Fact none of the sceneries *you* have been updated to it, doesn't mean there are none or this is an "FSDT-specific" thing. Flightbeam installers are the same, and there are other sceneries using it already. In time, every scenery advertised to be P3D-compliant will be like this.

FSDT's  making it very difficult adding another complexity to adding scenery, it's going to put off many people from buying their scenery.

Now, you are confusing what is only a limitation of the SIMULATOR UI, which doesn't allow you to re-arrange scenery areas added this way in the Scenery Library page, with the system itself, which surely supports layering, just like the scenery.cfg.

Having the ability to re-arrange scenery areas from the sim might be useful and, if you think it's really important to you, you should report it to LM because, as I've said, the lack of it is only a limitation of the sim user interface, not of the system itself. And, since the system supports layer priorities, there are already utilities out there that can manage the new scenery library, which you can use in the meantime, at least until LM will eventually add the ability to rearrange the areas in the sim:

Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer

http://lorby-si.weebly.com/downloads.html

DavidJBecket

Going back to what you said "You are not supposed to touch anything, since the scenery works fine as installed." But it dosen't, If I want to turn it Off or On via the Options\Add-ons page It then means I have to close P3Dv4 and reboot for it to activate it. That  ain't on.

You said yourselfs and flightbeam both currently are using this system, so how come I could add your KJFK and KLAS and all of my Flightbeam installs and get them to all work  correctly be activated and not have then greyed out? (see  pic)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4297/35412730593_42de6d8f07_o.png

But ZurichX can't be moved
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:25:41 pm by virtuali »

DavidJBecket

It's not solved :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Going back to what you said "You are not supposed to touch anything, since the scenery works fine as installed." But it dosen't

Yes, it does.

If I want to turn it Off or On via the Options\Add-ons page It then means I have to close P3Dv4 and reboot for it to activate it. That  ain't on.

That's how the sim works. What's the point of wanting it to be disabled while running the sim ? It's totally useless, for the following reasons:

1) An FSDT scenery doesn't have to be disabled "to save memory", because it does memory management on its own so, once you exit its area, all its objects will be discarded from memory.

AND

2) Under V4, the whole idea of wanting to disable sceneries to save memory, is a complete waste of effort.

AND

3) FSDT sceneries would STILL require a restart of the sim when enabled/disabled, even if you use the scenery.cfg method to install them. This has always been the case, and won't change now, because the Addon Manager reads the list of active sceneries only at start.

You said yourselfs and flightbeam both currently are using this system, so how come I could add your KJFK and KLAS and all of my Flightbeam installs and get them to all work  correctly be activated and not have then greyed out? (see  pic)

The installers DO use this system but nobody can stop you from manually adding its area to the scenery.cfg in the old way. Doing this, will cause a double entry, unless you remove the add-on from the "Options->Add-on" menu.

Because, as I've said, if a scenery is installed using the "new" system it cannot be moved. If you add it manually (and remove the the double entry in the Options->Add-on menu, you will "downgrade it" to the old method, so you will be movable again.

Note that, we DO NOT support doing this.

DavidJBecket

Because, as I've said, if a scenery is installed using the "new" system it cannot be moved. If you add it manually (and remove the the double entry in the Options->Add-on menu, you will "downgrade it" to the old method, so you will be movable again.

Note that, we DO NOT support doing this.

But If I try this method it won't be activated when looking in the Addon Manager.

This is what I'm moaning about both KJFK and KLAS were moved and both are still "installed in the scenery library and both active"  if I do this with ZurichX it becomes Active but not installed :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl

That's because is still installed with the proper method which, as I've said, it's entirely normal. In order to be able to move it, you must either use the Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer, or use the old method, which you shouldn't do.

But If I try this method it won't be activated when looking in the Addon Manager.

It should. But, again, it's best you use the "proper" method, and the Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer to move it.

This is what I'm moaning about both KJFK and KLAS were moved and both are still "installed in the scenery library and both active"  if I do this with ZurichX it becomes Active but not installed

You surely made something different in Zurich but, as I've said, we cannot support you in installing the scenery in a way which wasn't designed for.

If you *really* want to move the scenery ( why ? Addon airports should always stay on top of the Scenery Library ), you should use the Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer