Author Topic: Problem with the FSX.CFG **SOLVED**  (Read 13339 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem with the FSX.CFG
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 01:47:11 pm »
Scenery config errors for every airport. I can't attach more than 10 here so will attach last ones next post

You don't say if this is happening after you reinstalled, or after starting the sim after uninstalling it.

If you uninstalled and reinstalled everything, as instructed, the only possible reason for this error, is that your scenery.cfg was already corrupted, which explains why the migration failed the first time.

It's best if you ZIP and attach your scenery.cfg too.

phantomflyer

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 01:55:20 pm »
It happened after I re-installed - there are 2 more (making it exactly 14 airports as i first reported.) I think the scenery config was corrupt before the first migration. Also attached scenery config. Sorry about all this Umberto... If you can tell me how to edit the scenery config, I'll give it a shot but I probably can't do as good or as fast as you would.

phantomflyer

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 01:59:54 pm »
Was that the correct scenery config??? I got it from users/bill/appdata/roaming/microsoft/fsx

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 02:00:41 pm »
Also attached scenery config.

That's not your actual scenery.cfg, because it contains only the default areas. Do you use FSX:SE and you STILL have FSX installed ? If yes, the location for the scenery.cfg on FSX:SE when FSX is still installed (or WAS installed when you installed FSX:SE) is here:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 02:02:01 pm »
Was that the correct scenery config???

%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\FSX on FSX or FSX:SE with no FSX installed.

%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE on FSX:SE if FSX is installed.

I got it from users/bill/appdata/roaming/microsoft/fsx

You are not supposed to have any scenery.cfg there but, it won't matter.

phantomflyer

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 02:02:58 pm »
here it is. Made a mistake ...I use FSX SP2 it was in program data

phantomflyer

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 02:08:32 pm »
Actually, all I need to do is edit it per each area to match the right location (where they all are now), unless there was another corrupt area I can't find.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 02:18:48 pm »
Actually, all I need to do is edit it per each area to match the right location (where they all are now), unless there was another corrupt area I can't find.

Your scenery.cfg is fine. And no, you are not supposed to edit the area name because our installer will that of course.

What do you mean with "where they all are now" ? If you used the installer, it's not possible they scenery would be in a different location, because the installer will obviously update the location where you chose to install in the scenery.cfg so, unless you moved the sceneries manually, the location should match.

The only possible case is if you had a *corrupted* scenery.cfg, but this doesn't seem the case anymore now so, either you haven't uninstalled/reinstalled, or you must have moved the sceneries manually, which you shouldn't do, since they installer doesn't simply change the path in the scenery.cfg, it will also set a registry key for the Addon Manager and they should ALL match, and they will, if you just use the installer, and not move things manually.

I'll repeat it again the correct procedure:

- Uninstall every single FSDT or Flightbeam product from the Control Panel and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" This is important

- Download all the latest installers for all the FSDT or Flightbeam products you just uninstalled.

- Install them again and, if you want to install the sceneries into the D: drive, click the "Browse..." button, select the D: root folder, which will result in the Addon Manager and all the sceneries installing into D:\Addon Manager.

Do not move ANYTHING by hand.

phantomflyer

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 02:43:15 pm »
I did exactly as you said!! If you look at the scenery config I sent you, all the airports re-installed using the new installers are in the wrong drive on the scenery config I sent you! I directed the new installers to D:\FSX\Addon manager\ the scenery config I sent you says they are still in C:\Program Files(x86)\Addon manager - they are not there because I did not re-install them there, yet the config didn't change! i NEVER move things by hand - EVER!

phantomflyer

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 02:52:26 pm »
The installer is NOT changing the scenery config to D. I tried uninstalling them all again and re-installing into D (AGAIN!) and the scenery config insists on saying they are in STILL in C! This is NOT something I am doing wrong. This is an installer problem.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:56:58 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 02:54:48 pm »
I did exactly as you said!!

No, you must have skipped a step.

If you look at the scenery config I sent you, all the airports re-installed using the new installers are in the wrong drive on the scenery config I sent you!

It's because I saw it, that I said you must have either moved files manually, or didn't uninstalled or skipped some step.

I directed the new installers to D:\FSX\Addon manager\ the scenery config I sent you says they are still in C:\Program Files(x86)\Addon manager - they are not there because I did not re-install them there, yet the config didn't change!

That's precisely the problem: it's NOT supposed to happen, since the installer will surely update the scenery.cfg correctly. As I've said, the only possible explanations are:

- Your scenery.cfg was corrupted, so it couldn't be updated, but it doesn't seem to be the case

OR

- You haven't uninstalled the old version

OR

- You moved the files by hand.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 02:57:33 pm »
The installer is NOT changing the scenery config to D. I tried uninstalling them all again and re-installing into D (AGAIN!) and the scenery config insists on saying they are in STILL in C! This is NOT something I am doing wrong. This is an installer problem

Nobody ever reported this problem, and several of our developers use a separate drive to install the Addon Manager, and it works. We can have a Teamviewer session, so I can see what's wrong with your system or your files or your procedure, directly.

PM me to arrange this.

phantomflyer

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 05:19:34 pm »
All is now in order Umberto. I'm trying to make sense of what went wrong here but I'm way too tired - other than to say to anyone out there - do not uninstall the standalone manager by itself!! That really caused a mess. Anyway - after your help - situation solved. Thanks for your time.