Author Topic: FSDT Sceneries in X-Plane 11?  (Read 16169 times)

chicagoduffy

FSDT Sceneries in X-Plane 11?
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:49:18 pm »
I am a great admirer of FSDT's incredible work for the FSX/P3D universe. Truly mind blowing stuff. I often have to look closely to convince myself that some of these airports are still in a simulator, and not the real thing  :D

For me, there's just one thing holding me back from literally giving FSDT hundreds of dollars (Yes, I'm a bit of a sucker for high quality airports)... its not in x-plane.

X-Plane is a 64-bit platform (As is P3Dv4, which is why FSDT is looking to expand there). It has also experienced an incredible surge in new users since the release of x-plane 11 in late 2016. Big scenery devs like Areosoft are beginning to see that converting their sceneries is a viable, money-making idea. Bergen, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Ft. Myers, Anchorage, Oslo, among others are truly stunning detailed sceneries by Areosoft - made for x-plane 11. They are beginning to recognize the market. My only question is... Why not FSDT?

The demand for payware (of all kinds) in the x-plane community has been increasing, and continues to do so with every new user. In my own opinion, the x-plane market has been growing faster than FSX or P3D ever has. 2 years ago, I would have never thought of even proposing or asking this question... but now... there is a tremendous opportunity for FSDT, FlightBeam, T2T, FlyTampa, and other FSX/P3D exclusive scenery devs.

X-Plane is capable of handling some truly incredible sceneries. Look up Areosoft Dallas/Ft. Worth, Fort Myers, Salt Lake City, Baltimore, and Nimbus Simulations (an x-plane only scenery dev)'s Orlando, Phoenix, and Chicago-O'Hare. Not to mention the literally thousands of freeware and donationware products out there, like Boston, San Francisco, Portland, LAX, San Diego, and tons others.

An x-plane realease of ANY fsdt scenery, would be met with much fanfare in the x-plane community. Including an existing one.

- Just offering a suggestion, not trying to sway any opinions 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Sceneries in X-Plane 11?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:39:26 am »
Big scenery devs like Areosoft are beginning to see that converting their sceneries is a viable, money-making idea. Bergen, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Ft. Myers, Anchorage, Oslo, among others are truly stunning detailed sceneries by Areosoft - made for x-plane 11. They are beginning to recognize the market. My only question is... Why not FSDT?

You should reverse the question: why the only well known developer/publisher which supports X-Plane is Aerosoft ? That's easy: they distribute the boxed version of X-Plane so, they have an additional interest doing so.

We don't have anything against X-Plane as such. But the problem is: it has been years they promised a better SDK, for example by supplying an official exporter for 3DS Max. This was announced when X-Plane 11 was in Beta to be released after the final release. This, alone would be a mistake, because you should release the SDK *BEFORE* the product gets released to the public. We had the P3DV4 SDK in our hands about 6 months before the product was even announced...that's how you do it.

Right now, the only option to export from 3DS Max to X-Plane 11, it's just an unofficial plugin made by some users, with 2 pages of docs. The rest of the SDK documentation is scattered through a number of unofficial websites, blogs posts and forum posts.

Now, compare this, with the almost 4000 pages of the P3D SDK, all in the same place, always updated for each minor build, and professionally supported.

Be sure that, if X-Plane devs will come out with a proper SDK, starting with an exporter for 3DS Max made AND supported by the X-Plane devs, we'll surely have a serious look at it. And with "supported", I mean with a full documentation, an official developers forum not accessible to the public, were we could post questions, reports bugs, and get real feedback about it.

Lude2Envy

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:52:23 pm »
You should reverse the question: why the only well known developer/publisher which supports X-Plane is Aerosoft ? That's easy: they distribute the boxed version of X-Plane so, they have an additional interest doing so.

We don't have anything against X-Plane as such. But the problem is: it has been years they promised a better SDK, for example by supplying an official exporter for 3DS Max. This was announced when X-Plane 11 was in Beta to be released after the final release. This, alone would be a mistake, because you should release the SDK *BEFORE* the product gets released to the public. We had the P3DV4 SDK in our hands about 6 months before the product was even announced...that's how you do it.

Right now, the only option to export from 3DS Max to X-Plane 11, it's just an unofficial plugin made by some users, with 2 pages of docs. The rest of the SDK documentation is scattered through a number of unofficial websites, blogs posts and forum posts.

Now, compare this, with the almost 4000 pages of the P3D SDK, all in the same place, always updated for each minor build, and professionally supported.

Be sure that, if X-Plane devs will come out with a proper SDK, starting with an exporter for 3DS Max made AND supported by the X-Plane devs, we'll surely have a serious look at it. And with "supported", I mean with a full documentation, an official developers forum not accessible to the public, were we could post questions, reports bugs, and get real feedback about it.

That's a shame. I wonder how XP has been able to stay in business against Microsoft/LM and be continuously developed all of these years without substantial SDK support. Do you know where their market been all this time? Do they have a bigger commercial market for training devices than ESP/P3D ever had or something? Or do they just have a large enough cult following like a low budget movie that keeps making sequels?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:54:02 pm by Lude2Envy »
Ian

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz
16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Samsung 950 Pro SSD x2, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:18:25 am »
I wonder how XP has been able to stay in business against Microsoft/LM and be continuously developed all of these years without substantial SDK support.

You are confusing the viability of the market for the sim itself, with the viability of making payware addons for it, which demands a proper and fully supported SDK.

X-Plane itself has always been viable for its author, because:

- Austin Meyer is a genius, and his metabolism is 4x the one of the rest of the human race, and so he's like a whole squad of developers.

- He works with a very small team, compared to many that work for Microsoft or LM. At the heyday of FSX, Microsoft had more than 100 developers working on FSX.

This means X-Plane could sell 1/10th of what FSX or P3D would ever sell, and still make a satisfying amount of money to its authors, so it could be continually developed.

Do you think our view is particular unusual amongst commercial developers (except Aerosoft, for obvious reasons) ?

Lude2Envy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:13 pm »
Do you think our view is particular unusual amongst commercial developers (except Aerosoft, for obvious reasons) ?

I know they're a small company and therefore don't need to sell as much as MS or LM. I'm was just wondering where that market is/was. Over the past 20 years I only know one other person (a fellow pilot) that used XP. I've also seen P3D and Flight1 products used in commercial trainers but I've never seen XP being used. I don't think your view is unusual. It makes perfect sense to me. I'm just adding to the discussion - not questioning your motives. The only developer I question is T2G and their terrible product support/customer service.
Ian

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz
16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Samsung 950 Pro SSD x2, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

jabloomf1230

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:40:22 pm »

No, I don't. I use both sims and the two companies that sell each sim have different philosophies, with regard to 3rd party products. LM encourages payware 3rd party developers to add features to the base sim and that has allowed LM to spend their in-house resources improving the old FSX graphics engine to the point where it is almost not recognizable (except for the file formats and the fact that it is limited to the Windows OS).

In contrast, LR has always encouraged its community of users to develop freeware plug-ins and scenery to improve the base sim. The result is that XP11 has so many freeware add-ons available, that the market for payware products is reduced. That is not to say that the quality of the freeware airports in XP11 is comparable to payware scenery in P3d, almost all of it isn't even close. There are probably 20 or 30 payware XP11 airports worldwide that match the best P3d payware in quality. The difference is, that many of these airports are either small or in parts of the world where a typical user might not want to fly. I think that this situation will eventually change, as the XP11 user base become more demanding of high quality scenery.

harrylinsenmayer

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 01:15:40 am »
Hey FSDT,

I am a X-Plane user and would also like to see FSDT in XP11. I personally emailed Austin Meyer at x-plane.com and he said there is a great SDK for XP11. Could you guys please make some of your products for XP11? It's worth mentioning that with the release of XP11 v 11.10b6 there is a new SDK (version 3.0) so it's improved.
http://prntscr.com/h8h9fz

Thanks,
Harry Linsenmayer

Silverbird

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 06:29:34 am »
Would love you guys  to try it out Umberto maybe just covert one of the smaller airports in fsdt library.  :) love p3d v4 but man the night lighting on x-plane 11 is amazing.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

tangjuice81

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 02:47:40 pm »
ORBX has starting working on sceneries for XP 11 so tje future of XP (as far as payware) is looking better. I have XP 11 and I must agree night lighting is much better than P3D v4 however day lighting is better in P3D. As stated, users of XP have depended so much on freeware it reduced the payware demand greatly. Users of FSX/P3D have spent $$$ on their payware and the because most of the add the realism needed in a sim, ei GSX, HD airports, REX, and numerous devs who add animations, animals, birds and people.

harrylinsenmayer

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 02:02:48 am »
Unfortunately, OBRX cancelled project X a while ago that's why I'm going to FSDT. I think converting a smaller airport would be a good idea.

Thanks,
Harry

juniormafia27

• Better You Than Me
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »
ORBX has starting working on sceneries for XP 11 so tje future of XP (as far as payware) is looking better. I have XP 11 and I must agree night lighting is much better than P3D v4 however day lighting is better in P3D. As stated, users of XP have depended so much on freeware it reduced the payware demand greatly. Users of FSX/P3D have spent $$$ on their payware and the because most of the add the realism needed in a sim, ei GSX, HD airports, REX, and numerous devs who add animations, animals, birds and people.

Orbx cancelled out.
ASUS Hero Motherboard
Windows 11 64Bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
64.0 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Ram
Corsair 1200 Watt
 Corsair H115i-Water Cooler
NVIDIA RTX-3090TI
Samsung 49 inch Curved Monitor

FS9, FSX, P3D, MSFS 2020

Silverbird

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:18 pm »
Orbx did cancel...but there back on x-plane now.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

Sammy

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 04:51:37 am »
It would be interesting to see if developer like FSDT start supporting xplane. I am really liking xplane now and can't afford to buy addons for both platforms.

harrylinsenmayer

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 01:37:04 am »
Are we sure ORBX started again?
I agree. I have already put forward too much money to XP11 and just can't switch to P3D4 or FSX at the moment and it'd really be awesome if FSDT made their sceneries and GSX for XP11.

Silverbird

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 01:47:08 am »
Are we sure ORBX started again?
I agree. I have already put forward too much money to XP11 and just can't switch to P3D4 or FSX at the moment and it'd really be awesome if FSDT made their sceneries and GSX for XP11.
Yep there hiring developers for it https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/144753-want-to-develop-for-orbx/
Cesar

New Jersey EWR