Author Topic: KDFW elevation issues  (Read 11256 times)

Jerrymc3

• My B737-800 Cockpit
KDFW elevation issues
« on: July 09, 2017, 02:02:42 am »
I installed KDFW in P3D v3 and I'm having elevation issues on the runway and at the terminals.  I quit P3D, downloaded and installed the latest Addon Manager.  I'm still having the same elevation issues.

Jerry
MSFS2020 PROSIM738
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi MB
Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz
EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Gigabyte RTX 3090 TI 24GB
OC EFIS,MCP,FWD/AFT Ovhd,COM,NAV,ADF,XPND

Jerrymc3

• My B737-800 Cockpit
Re: KDFW elevation issues
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:02:12 pm »
Apparently all my FSDT and FlightBeam sceneries are having the same problem.

Jerry
MSFS2020 PROSIM738

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:38:46 pm »
Do you have something from OrbX installed ?

If yes, it might be an issue with their Airport Elevation Correction utility, which still doesn't support the official P3D add-on package installation method we use now, so it cannot fix the errors their products cause to all 3rd party sceneries, which that utility is supposed to fix.

Jerrymc3

• My B737-800 Cockpit
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 02:36:42 am »
Sorry it took me so long to respond.  Yes, I have Orbx Base Pack, Open LC North America and Global Vector.  Its odd that sometimes when I start P3D the elevation problems are gone. Its kind of random.

Jerry
MSFS2020 PROSIM738

Michael_B767_ATP

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 12:16:35 am »
Hi Jerry,

Go into Orbx FTX Central / Setings / Configure FTX Global Vector / Airport Elevation Corrections / Where it says AEC is enabled for - Enter KDFW and highlight KDFW in the box below, then press disable and then apply.

That fixed all my elevation issues with airports and Orbx.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:18:21 am by Michael_B767_ATP »

lennie

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 06:32:41 pm »
Hi Michael,

I am having the same problem as Jerry. I just disabled DFW as you suggested and no change. I am sitting down maybe 50 ft below ground level. I just reinstalled JFK ORD LAX IAH into P3D4, as i recently quit FSX. Checked those airports and all good.

Don't know what else to do. Maybe file a ticket or something.

Lennie

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:31 am »
Has the OrbX AEC utility being updated to support P3D V4, including sceneries installed with the P3D native method (add-on.xml ) ? If not, this might be explain why some of you don't get the same results.

undergroundleo

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 04:02:05 pm »
Dear Lenny,

I had the same issue with the following aiports:

- KDEN (flightbeam)
- KDFW (FSDT)
- HECA
- various default sceneries such as Lukla (VNLK).

All the issues were caused by Orbx Vectors AEC. Disabling the function manually airport by airport solved the terrain elevations.

As advised, check for updates within the Orbx products and apply manually the AEC modifications.

Best Regards

lennie

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:42 pm »
Yep, Orbx seems to be uptodate. All other FSDT airports are working fine, just DFW. I disabled DFW in the FTX airport elevation correction tool, clicked apply, but same problem. Down in a hole at the airport.

Maybe my solution is to overfly DFW! Houston is fine, i'll just land there, plenty of fuel.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:57 am »
Yep, Orbx seems to be uptodate.

Ok, maybe you have the latest version but, in addition to just "support" P3DV4, has been updated to support sceneries installed using the P3D native method ? Just recognizing P3D V4 it's not enough, if the utility doesn't see a scenery if it's installed in the proper P3D way, which I believe was an issue but, since I don't have anything from OrbX installed, I cannot possibly say it they have fixed it or not.

Since Michael_B767_ATP reported the solution worked for him at KDFW, it's possible he's using FSX, so the OrbX utility works correctly there, because in FSX there's only one way to install sceneries.

lennie

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 11:48:49 pm »
I will go to the Orbx forums and inquire. Thanks.

jwilson0514

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 10:18:14 am »
Yup same issue. Disabled it in Orbx Vector utility AEC. Its funny cause LAS Vegas had this problem awhile back and evetually was updated. Im hoping either company will update soon. Was gonna buy KDFW was using the demo version to try it out. Glad that you can try the demo before you buy it was about to pull the trigger but i will wait. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 09:36:50 am »
Its funny cause LAS Vegas had this problem awhile back and evetually was updated.

KLAS hasn't been updated, at all, to fix this problem it never had to begin with.

The only change we did, that had anything to do with the elevation issue, is that our Live Update previously didn't recognize the presence of the OrbX fix so, if you installed the OrbX fix and then ran the FSDT Live Update, it would remove the OrbX fix.  Now, the Live Update recognize the OrbX fix and doesn't remove it anymore.

But as I've said, if Michael_B767_ATP reported the solution worked for him at KDFW, if he using FSX and you are using P3D, it might explain why it doesn't work as well for you, if the OrbX AEC utility still hasn't been updated to recognize sceneries installed in the P3D way.

Of course, the problem doesn't have anything to do with KDFW, and there's nothing we can do from our side, to change the behavior of that utility. Last time I enquired OrbX about the KLAS elevation issue, which was too caused by their products, I got no answer.

Fortunately, no all OrbX developers are the same. Last week, I got an email from an OrbX developer who did the right thing (checking if HIS soon to be released product MIGHT cause a conflict to an already established FSDT product that has been on the market for years), and of course he got full support from me, with a free copy of the scenery to test his product with.

bhorv67

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:18:01 pm »
How would I fix this issue if I don't have ORBX Vector, hence I don't have the AEC tool.

At KDFW, the tires of the planes, and trucks are sunk into the ground a few inches. It's not a huge issue, just looks odd. Would like to fix if possible.

I'd also like to report that while taxiing today to a gate (I believe on E), I was crossing a bridge, and after reaching the other side, my plane shot up into the air about 10ft and bounced back on the ground. Alarms were going off in the NGX.

I'm using P3d v4.1, latest updates via the FSDT live update tool.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 09:28:10 pm »
How would I fix this issue if I don't have ORBX Vector, hence I don't have the AEC tool.

At KDFW, the tires of the planes, and trucks are sunk into the ground a few inches. It's not a huge issue, just looks odd. Would like to fix if possible.

Your problem doesn't have anything to do with the one reported here, which discussed a serious elevation problem, which was surely caused by OrbX.

The almost unnoticeable issue of wheels slightly sinking into the ground is not a real problem, and cannot be really fixed, until we'll do a version 100% native to P3D.

I'd also like to report that while taxiing today to a gate (I believe on E), I was crossing a bridge, and after reaching the other side, my plane shot up into the air about 10ft and bounced back on the ground. Alarms were going off in the NGX.

This because you haven't set the Mesh resolution as explained on the KDFW manual, at either 5 or 10 meters/pixel, and not more, because setting it higher will create artifacts from oversampling mesh data with no real increased resolution.