Author Topic: Flytampa, Flightbeam, FSDT and 29Palms future products to be P3D4 only  (Read 78949 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Flytampa, Flightbeam, FSDT and 29Palms future products to be P3D4 only
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2017, 11:09:10 am »
But what really disturbs me is that Flightbeam came out with KPDX at least a month before V4 was released, and will not be an FSX product. Is it really going to take a year for them to do an airport of that size?

It should be no secret that most major scenery developers all had access to P3D V4 several months in advance, how else would be possible to have compatible installers (like we had, including those we made for Flightbeam..) on day one ?

This means, we all looked at the SDK and, if you are a scenery developer and look at the SDK, it would be obvious why FSX is dead. There are some things in it that could be game changers, both in quality and performance.

This is not so obvious for users, because there's not a single scenery out there that use any of that (not even those that boast P3D V4 "native" compatibility, just because they recompiled some .BGLs with the V4 SDK, that's a joke), so you might have the impression P3D V4 it's just an FSX with no OOMs. It's way more than that, but it will take some time before "real" product using the new features will come out and those can ONLY be made with NO FSX backward compatibility at all, because some things will alter the way a scenery is designed, right from the start.

FLYFROMUTAH

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2017, 10:05:10 pm »
I understand your technical reasons for doing what you are doing. Maybe we should have known that you had a copy of V4 before everybody else, though it was a secret and we were not privy to this information.
Question still is Flightbeam announced KPDX on June 1st, will this still fit into the time frame of one year from the time you had the version of P3V4 and when KPDX will be finished? Let's say by April of 2018.
Otherwise I will have to beg another developer to do this for FSX, which I would say they would be reluctant to go near it. Just to understand where I'm coming from is that KPDX will now be my home airport, since I'm moving to that location next month, and this would complete for me my airports for where I have live(d).
Otherwise just disappointed, but what you do if you desire is just charge more the FSX version, I would be willing to live with that in this case, hopefully still being somewhat reasonable. It would also be good marketing for you.   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 03:43:56 pm »
I understand your technical reasons for doing what you are doing. Maybe we should have known that you had a copy of V4 before everybody else, though it was a secret and we were not privy to this information.

All 3rd party developers weren't allowed to discuss the very existence of the sim, before LM announced it officially. This is standard practice for every pre-release software which is not tested in public.

Question still is Flightbeam announced KPDX on June 1st, will this still fit into the time frame of one year from the time you had the version of P3V4 and when KPDX will be finished? Let's say by April of 2018.

I don't think this would be the right place to ask.

Otherwise just disappointed, but what you do if you desire is just charge more the FSX version, I would be willing to live with that in this case, hopefully still being somewhat reasonable. It would also be good marketing for you.   

We won't do any new FSX scenery anymore, and you WILL update to P3D V4 sooner or later, just like you probably moved away from FS9.

If you won't go to P3D V4, you will go either to FSW or X-Plane 11, and I'd say it's more likely we'll support one of them, rather than going back to a dying 32 bit platform.

juniormafia27

• Better You Than Me
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2017, 04:27:48 am »
You couldn't of said that any better.  FSX has been dying for a long time(do not need to be a developer to know that much)......the defibrillator had been in use for a long time.  Now the defibrillator has ran it's battery dead and time to move on to another serogate.  The community was wanting a 64 bit platform for a very long time.....Now the heavy hitters are P3Dv4 and X-Plane 11.  If this guy wants to stand on the ledge and convince himself he can fly with no wings let him......he will eventually figure out what the rest of us already have known.  At this point it is best for some to take a seat and let the adults handle adult business.....let them drink the Kool-Aid while we sip wine.....FSX is the kool aid....no ice. lol

All 3rd party developers weren't allowed to discuss the very existence of the sim, before LM announced it officially. This is standard practice for every pre-release software which is not tested in public.

I don't think this would be the right place to ask.

We won't do any new FSX scenery anymore, and you WILL update to P3D V4 sooner or later, just like you probably moved away from FS9.

If you won't go to P3D V4, you will go either to FSW or X-Plane 11, and I'd say it's more likely we'll support one of them, rather than going back to a dying 32 bit platform.
ASUS Hero Motherboard
Windows 11 64Bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
64.0 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Ram
Corsair 1200 Watt
 Corsair H115i-Water Cooler
NVIDIA RTX-3090TI
Samsung 49 inch Curved Monitor

FS9, FSX, P3D, MSFS 2020

juniormafia27

• Better You Than Me
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 04:30:37 am »
17 years?!?!?(hahahahah with my Power Ranger villain laugh)  I can't tell, lol.....you don't need me to make you look like a jerk.....apparently you are doing a great job on your own(judging by some of the comments)

You assume quite wrong, I have been doing this for about 17 years. Next time don't assume you make yourself look like a jerk. :P
ASUS Hero Motherboard
Windows 11 64Bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
64.0 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Ram
Corsair 1200 Watt
 Corsair H115i-Water Cooler
NVIDIA RTX-3090TI
Samsung 49 inch Curved Monitor

FS9, FSX, P3D, MSFS 2020

Hnla

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2017, 05:30:24 pm »
Isn't it time to change "High Quality Addons for Microsoft Flight Simulator to Lockheed Martin Prepar3d"?  ;)

Longhaul444

• RCJ Transport
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 02:17:40 am »
I for one welcome the change developers are doing. Hey I still use FS9, FSX (even got the SE edition when it went on sale), P3Dv3-4, and XP9-11. So I still have a choice to which sim I want to fly. I am stuck with FSX for the MD-11 as PMDG will not support the future development of that bird. These are the choices we make as consumers when you buy software. I'm not crazy about the price tag on each major release for P3D, but I will support LM as long as they continue to develop a platform that I use and like. Several add-ons will not make the move to the x64 platform hence the still living in the past with some things. Also as one who has spent more money in this hobby than I care to admit over the past decades, I look forward to seeing what the future holds with the hobby moving forward. Umberto, dunno if you or someone else could answer this: do you know of any scenery for KCAE Columbia, SC? And would FSDT be doing any smaller airports in the future, like KGSP or KCHS?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 08:41:47 am »
And would FSDT be doing any smaller airports in the future, like KGSP or KCHS?

Not sure. We are releasing an small-ish airport in the future, which is Basel-Freibourg, and airport that might be considered "small" by American standards, but it's probably mid-size in European terms. But we chose it mainly because we already did the other two major airports in Switzerland, so it was fitting to add the 3rd one, since we are based in Switzerland as a company, after all...

But along the years, we seems to have noticed that sales are directly proportional to the importance and size of the airport, so it's the mega-hubs that seems to be preferred by users. This means we'll probably redo all our major hubs in the next years, to take advantage of 64 bit, and new graphic techniques that can be finally used by dropping backward compatibility with FSX and P3D V3 and earlier.

In a way, the jump from FSX/P3D 32 bit to 64 bit is even more significant than the one from FS9 to FSX. Back then, you were upgrading from a platform that had tons of add-ons, and none of them was capable to exhaust the system memory, so it's more important now, that everybody will move away from FSX as soon as possible.

We had KSDF ready for release for a while, and are spending these last weeks trying to optimize (by reduce complexity and giving FSX users the ability to turn off features), just because it runs perfectly under P3D V4 with all the stuff in and it's perfectly smooth, while in FSX we are struggling to reach 50-60% of the fps we get in P3D V4, and keep stuttering or OOMs at bay. It's just not fun anymore, and we are only glad it's the last one we'll ever release on FSX.

cowings1588

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2017, 04:40:16 am »
I'm all for it.. Been for it, since moving to P3D V4.. I am ready for nothing but P3D v4 64 bit scenery..   :)
COA
Bill

rrwhaley

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2018, 07:07:53 pm »
Totally agree with you!

DLGA

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2018, 12:16:52 am »
Very sorry to hear this. But in view of P3D's EULA not to mention related costs, you have lost me as a customer forever. UNLESS you decide to make software compatible with X-Plane 11 which is running rings around P3D straight out of the box and for less than $100.00!!!!

DLGA

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2018, 10:31:00 am »
Very sorry to hear this. But in view of P3D's EULA not to mention related costs, you have lost me as a customer forever.

FS9 uses said the same things to us back then, when we moved away from FS9. Of course, they are all still there with us, some moved to FSX and some directly to P3D. The list of developers moving away from FSX to P3D4 is increasing DAILY, yesterday Flightsim studios said their next airports will be for P3D only.

UNLESS you decide to make software compatible with X-Plane 11 which is running rings around P3D straight out of the box and for less than $100.00!!!!

X-Plane has many nice things, but is still lacking behind P3D in many other things.

jfholer

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2018, 08:55:41 pm »
Having just made the switch to Prepar3d myself (finally) this is great news. Now if I can just get somebody to do San Antonio (KSAT) for Prepar3d.

dlarokk

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2019, 07:49:18 pm »
I'm a bit confused here. FSDT's products are clearly for entertainment primarily. So, is FSDT just assuming the P3D eula will continue to be unenforced?

bradl

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2019, 09:08:56 am »
I'm a bit confused here. FSDT's products are clearly for entertainment primarily. So, is FSDT just assuming the P3D eula will continue to be unenforced?

Actually, no they aren't. They are there for a reference to real world scenery, which can be very helpful when it comes to local procedures around a given airport. Case in point:

KLAS just had a runway renumbering which affected all SIDs, STARs, and approaches arriving and departing the field. Anyone wanting to practice an approach to that field couldn't do that with default scenery.

If doing this in a full motion simulator for any type rating or certification, this is a hell of a lot simpler and cheaper than renting the plane and flying out there to fly the actual procedure, especially when you're 2000 miles from the field in question.

BL.