Author Topic: FSDTLive Updater  (Read 6017 times)

Dimon

FSDTLive Updater
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:37:11 pm »
Folks,

Have you updated the Updater to a new version than includes the option to exclude ADE files from the updating process?

Thanks
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDTLive Updater
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:26:34 am »
Have you updated the Updater to a new version than includes the option to exclude ADE files from the updating process?

The FSDT Live Update always protected the AFCAD, by making a backup of it. And, the version which is online since June 10th, allows you do exclude a whole folder from being updated:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15922.msg114264.html#msg114264

However, we strongly suggest NOT to use it, and let update the AFCAD files too, because we keep updating them, so if you keep restoring your own version, you will keep reintroducing issues, because you are not starting from our latest version.

sticky1202

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 01:17:23 pm »
If I understand this correctly, those of us who customize our AFCADS, will have to re-customize each AFCAD everytime LiveUpdate is run, or go through each FSDT scenery and reinstall the backup file?

Jim  ???

Dimon

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 01:19:11 pm »
That's correct according to Umberto, however it's totally inconvenient for us, customers. Okey then, you should live with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »
[quote author=sticky1202 link=topic=16114.msg115400#msg115400 date=1499167043If I understand this correctly, those of us who customize our AFCADS, will have to re-customize each AFCAD everytime LiveUpdate is run, or go through each FSDT scenery and reinstall the backup file?[/quote]

If we updated the AFCAD, it means there was a REASON for it so, if you made changes based on an outdated version of the file, you might reintroduce bugs that we fixed.

THAT'S why we make a backup of your file: so you will KNOW we updated the AFCAD, so you might take the proper action, which would be taking your changes, and apply them to the updated version of our file, which can surely be made, if you know what you are doing, by decompiling both files with ADE into XML, compare the XML files, check the variations, and apply your changes. Or, you could just ignore our fixes, and simply restore your .BGL, but it would be your choice, and by doing a backup, you will notice something happened, so you could DECIDE which action to take.

Instead, if we did the wrong thing, allowing you to *always* and *automatically* skip the AFCAD from being updated, you will never know it was updated, so you'll continue to stay forever with a version that might have issues.

But as explained in the linked thread, using the "dontupdate" file method, if you REALLY want to do this, that's precisely what the "dontupdate" file will do: preventing the whole folder from being updated automatically, so you will not have to go through the hassle of having to restore from the backup. Having a "dontupdate" file in that folder, will be hopefully visible enough, in case you'll wonder why a scenery is not updating, hopefully you'll remember you created it yourself...

sticky1202

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 01:14:32 pm »
Ok, so the updater will only update the AFCAD if FSDT updates it from the previous version. Not EVERYTIME the updater is run. So if I customize KORD for example in its current form, Live Update will not overwrite it until FSDT updates the AFCAD in the future if needed, correct?

Jim

Mr_LoL

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:31:16 pm »
Get the AFCAD right first time so you don't have to keep fixing things then.
AT JFK with the last update I downloaded, the gates at terminal 7 are too small for the BA 747's to park there.
At Charlotte, the Cargo ramps are too small which means Fedex planes have to park at the terminal.
You guys seem to struggle big time with decent afcads. One only has to look at the rubbish that was released with updated Vegas.
Things are getting shoddy.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:13:57 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 11:18:19 am »
Get the AFCAD right first time so you don't have to keep fixing things then.

This doesn't make any sense: you are denying us the very ability to fix things ?

AT JFK with the last update I downloaded, the gates at terminal 7 are too small for the BA 747's to park there.

It's now FIXED, using the Live Update, of course.

At Charlotte, the Cargo ramps are too small which means Fedex planes have to park at the terminal.

It's now FIXED, using the Live Update, of course.

One only has to look at the rubbish that was released with updated Vegas.

Which has been fixed with the Live Update, immediately after it was reported. That was JUST a corrupted file on the server, it can happen. The point is, having a method to fix things quickly. The Live Update, of course.

Things are getting shoddy.

And you are suggesting we should stop updates or (like others are saying), letting you block the updater ? You can, as clearly explained in the thread I've linked, but you shouldn't.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:36:17 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 12:42:29 pm »
So if I customize KORD for example in its current form, Live Update will not overwrite it until FSDT updates the AFCAD in the future if needed, correct?

No. The updater checks the checksum each file so, if a file on your local drive is *different* than the one we have on the update server, it will update but, if it's the AFCAD, it will first make a backup in the scenery\backup folder, so you can then have the option to have a look at both files, and decide what do to which can be any of the following:

1) Restore your old file

2) Keep the updated one

3) Compare both files and merge the changes.

The choice is yours.

If you think that doing #1 is too much work, because by default you only trust your own AFCAD, just use the "dontupdate" file method explained in the thread linked above, so this will prevent any updates of that folder.

Mr_LoL

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 03:47:36 pm »
All I am saying is try and get it right first time. Stop putting words in my mouth. Gee.
Stop giving yourself a pat on the back for fixing shoddy crap you've been releasing lately.
How about making sure all your afcads are 100% working BEFORE releasing them Mr Colapicchioni. Test them properly and get your head out of your ass for a change.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 03:56:09 pm »
All I am saying is try and get it right first time. Stop putting words in my mouth. Gee.

But since you posted in a thread which seems to ask ways to stop the Live Update to do its work, either you meant that, or you are simply off-topic.

Stop giving yourself a pat on the back for fixing shoddy crap you've been releasing lately.

How interesting that, while you immediately noticed that some parkings at JFK T7 were too small, you haven't even noticed how much better and precise the new AFCAD is, which fixed problems with stopping positions and alignment of the parkings which has been there for years.

So no, the reality it's exactly the opposite of that you are trying to say: we had AFCADs with issues, like the one for JFK which was current BEFORE the last Live Update you were so quick to criticize (without even noticing the obvious improvements) but now, thanks to the much efficient Live Update AND to the much improved GSX parking editor, which allows even us to do more precise editing of the AFCAD, the marshaller position, the stopping distance, the safegates, we can release much better AFCAD AND update them quickly.

How about making sure all your afcads are 100% working BEFORE releasing them Mr Colapicchioni. Test them properly and get your head out of your ass for a change.

Deal Mr. Lol ("nomen omen" as the latins would say...), how about making sure you know how to express yourself like a civil person, BEFORE posting ?

You just won a 7 days ban from posting, for failure to respect the rule of not using foul language on the forum.

And just to be sure you don't misunderstand and go around saying you have been banned from posting because you made a legit comment on our products, I've quoted and highlighted the words that got you banned.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:04:01 pm by virtuali »

Drumcode

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 02:20:49 am »

You just won a 7 days ban from posting, for failure to respect the rule of not using foul language on the forum.

LoL